Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM

7,570 posts, read 6,026,102 times

Advertisements

So in spite of my name, NO we generally do not keep cats in the home .Due to my old lady`s allergies, it has never been an option.

But over the past few years my youngest who is 16 now has been wanting a cat. Not wanting to adopt one and then find out that makes someone sneeze too much he's suggested to his mom that we Foster a cat and oddly enough she agreed to it.

So we have made several visits to the animal shelter trying to obtain one. We finally left a couple of days ago with a five year old adult cat named Allie. she is currently suffering from a respiratory infection and an eye infection. The deal is pretty good we take care of her feed her give her her medicine and the shelter pays for the medicines in the vet bills. We buy the food and the cat litter but that's no big deal.

What bothered me is that it's been a long time since I have had a cat. This cat I know does not feel well she is not expected to be playful or even snuggly. I I had no expectations in that area. What I have noticed is she has yet to come out of hiding. I cannot tell that she's eating. She has used the cat box a couple of times. When I stopped at home to look for at lunch today I couldn't even find her so she's found a new hiding space that's really good. We had given her the downstairs bathroom with her food water litter box and left the door open so she can go in and out no one is using that room at the moment anyway. She's not there and she's not hiding on top of her under any furniture. I don't think she's a climber right now because of her eyesight in fact when I had her on the counter to give her her medicine she could not get herself down. I've wondered if anyone is brought a new cat home and just not had it acclimate within 2 days to the new surroundings. I've had some caps to spend the first day hiding but usually by the second day they're out exploring and wanting to meet everyone. It could be that she just doesn't feel well and that's okay we're going to keep giving her her medicine and we will get her feeling well. We have to give her back in two weeks but if we don't see evidence of her eating or improving we can give her back sooner. She is not ours to keep for good but having her will allow us to determine if the allergies are still an issue before we get a permanent cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 03:56 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,876,486 times
I think this poor girl is sick and confused and that's why she's been in hiding. I suggest confining her to one room (have a spare bedroom/office/den?) and visit her. Talk to her, play with her (if she wants to), maybe watch tv and let her approach you.

I hope you'll keep her for the full two weeks. A few days isn't enough time for her to adjust given what she may have been through.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I think this poor girl is sick and confused and that's why she's been in hiding. I suggest confining her to one room (have a spare bedroom/office/den?) and visit her. Talk to her, play with her (if she wants to), maybe watch tv and let her approach you.

I hope you'll keep her for the full two weeks. A few days isn't enough time for her to adjust given what she may have been through.
That is what we are planning. She may have been abused, neglected....we do not know. At one point, my son and I went in to the room with her to giver her the medication, she was sitting on the floor literally shaking....trembling.
Oh and she has claws and does not like to be held.
BUT This morning, I was petting her after I gave her the eye drops and she seemed to be purring for a few minutes.
I was thinking that she probably does not feel well (resp infections) and probably is scared being dropped into a new house with new people.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:36 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,429,396 times
Yes, please be very patient with her. It could take at least a week or more to get her acclimated and feeling better. It does bother me though that this kitty is being 'bounced around' from shelter to a home; and having to re-acclimate after only 2 weeks. It is not easy for her to acclimate to begin with, whether she is sick or not. Cats are very territorial and 99% of them love their homes. I adopted a kitty almost 2 years ago, and it took her a good month before she trusted us.

Maybe your family can love her back to health with a lot of patience and kindness. Can your wife get some allergy meds ?

Kudos to you and your family for having the heart to help her.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, please be very patient with her. It could take at least a week or more to get her acclimated and feeling better. It does bother me though that this kitty is being 'bounced around' from shelter to a home; and having to re-acclimate after only 2 weeks. It is not easy for her to acclimate to begin with, whether she is sick or not. Cats are very territorial and 99% of them love their homes. I adopted a kitty almost 2 years ago, and it took her a good month before she trusted us.

Maybe your family can love her back to health with a lot of patience and kindness. Can your wife get some allergy meds ?

Kudos to you and your family for having the heart to help her.
SO far, no allergy problems. Allie is a short haired cat.

We take her back after 2 weeks, if she still needs meds then we can have her for another 2 weeks. If she is cleared, we can adopt her outright.
She lets us give her the medications without a fuss. But does not like being held

Likes being petted but scares easily.
We will keep taking good care of her.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:03 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,876,486 times
I also want to suggest getting a Feliway diffuser and plugging that into her room to help calm her. Some fosterers I know also have a radio or tv on softly so they can get used to different sounds.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:00 AM

294 posts, read 176,094 times
When we got Gambo from the shelter, he decided to hide behind the toaster. Eventually he moved to the kitchen cabinets (counter, fridge, top of cabinets). It took several weeks before he even got interested in his new home. It’s super nice that you are taking care of Allie!!!
Even when we moved, he was hiding for several days we also started with one room and the feliway difuswr. Good luck!! Keep us posted

Old 08-23-2019, 07:28 AM

Allie came out to play last night !!!!!!

My oldest son wandered in to check on her during the day and she immediately bonded and attached to him for some reason. He was not with us when we got her, and he is gone most of the day taking classes at a local college.
When he got home last night, he patiently coaxed her out, she started playing, sitting in the room with everyone, chasing the cat stick toy with him, and basically acting like a cat.

He is one of those people that animals seem to like

SO things are improving. She is eating more, sleeping some now (which she was not doing perhaps out of fear) She needs rest to heal. We are kind of giving her the space she needs. But she seems attached to my oldest.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:51 AM

294 posts, read 176,094 times
Great news!!!!

Old 08-23-2019, 11:08 AM

3,009 posts, read 2,201,760 times
Awesome! Thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats