Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 08:26 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times

Advertisements

We have one house cat. I was wondering if we should get a lifelike companion cat from Amazon that purrs. Has anyone done this? Would our cat like this, be freaked out by it, or be indifferent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 09:10 PM

483 posts, read 630,168 times
Would you consider a real cat instead? We started with one cat and she was fine but she really perked up when we got another. Cats are pretty low maintenance and they would have each other to play with. Plus you would be likely saving a life. Just my thoughts.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:34 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Yes, I have considered a second cat. I may do that when I reach retirement, but did not really want to take on more right now.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:08 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
We have one house cat. I was wondering if we should get a lifelike companion cat from Amazon that purrs. Has anyone done this? Would our cat like this, be freaked out by it, or be indifferent?

I think your cat would be smart enough to realize this wasn't a real cat. Cats have a very sensitive sense of smell.

Your cat might be entertained by the toy simply as something to play with or knead on or snuggle with. I've had a number of cats over the years who adopted a stuffed animal. None of the stuffed animals purred though.

One stole a little stuffed tiger from my nephew when he was visiting. The tiger was the same size as the cat. He let her have it. I still have the little tiger and it's mostly bald from her kneading on it.

Another took over a large soft stuffed snow leopard stuffed animal someone gave me. It was 4 times the size of the cat and she loved sleeping on its back and kneading its head.

Another had a soft stuffed ginger cat I bought because I thought it looked a little like him. I didn't buy it FOR him, but he took it over.

If you try it, let us know how it goes!

Old 10-04-2019, 02:50 PM

61 posts, read 55,064 times
When my late red tabby part-Maine Coon, Arizona, was young, he took over my then-wife's little stuffed Pegasus. He would play-tussle with it and then carry it around in his mouth as if it were prey. Some years later, late at night, I'd hear squeaks coming from the living room, and when I crept out I'd catch him playing with it. He would drop it and stalk off as if embarrassed to be seen doing such kittenish things.

He passed on in '99. Believe it or not, I still have the toy atop a bookcase. None of my succeeding cats have shown the slightest interest in it.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:57 AM

786 posts, read 1,592,846 times
Default Adding 2 kittens?

We lost one of our girls 3 weeks a go. Our surviving girl's behavior has changed. They never got along, were both rescues, we went through the quarantine period, slowly introducing them, etc., but they didn't mix, but didn't draw blood or get into physical skirmishes either. Just poked and hissed at each other. We're still grieving, all of us. Have read extensively about introducing companion cats into a household where there is one adult cat. I've read kittens are best, and adopting 2 kittens from the same litter is better than one. We worry our remaining girl will get lonely and doubt we'll ever go on vacation with only her at home (we got pet sitters when there were 2 and they did fine). My spouse is going to visit family down south and I took off work to stay home for 10 days, what a way to burn through vacation time! But I know it would be a stressful week for me and Ash if she was left alone during most of the day for 10 days. She's a nervous nellie which is why she probably ended up in the shelter. We used to joke that they probably got along just fine when no one was home, and Ashley definitely misses Smokey, she constantly looks for her, sleeps where she used to sleep, but can't fill her shoes obviously and we don't expect her to. The thought of adding more cats is somewhat daunting, and we have discussed we'll know when the time is right, if it's right. Friends say "just throw them together and let them work it out" but we worry she'll freak with the addition of more felines even with an appropriate introduction period. She goes crazy when she smells a visiting cat outside, growls, poops on the floor, etc. Takes her a while to recover. But we're wondering if we get kittens instead of an adult cat, it might go better. Cat "experts" say cats tend to be happier with a companion cat(s). It didn't seem to be the case with our 2, but when Smokey passed, Ash was obviously grieving. So what say you about this?

Old 10-06-2019, 06:14 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
So a robot Cat? I didn't even know they existed. You can always give it a shot and see what happens.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:02 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Funny, we had a cat that was the only one and we brought home a second and she hissed, hid under the bed and wouldn't come out for 2 days (except for essentials). She finally accepted him, but kept her distance. She was probably happier as the single cat in the house. Each cat is different and some like being the only cat.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:23 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
People should actually read the thread before posting. This thread is about stuffed animal toys, not adding another live cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats