Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,438 times

Advertisements

I have a male cat named cotton that is a few years old now and he’s been living with my girlfriend and I for about two and a half years now and he hasn’t been neutered. He used to live outside with other cats to whom he was related too and others not related too before we adopted him and he was a very gentle, sweet and calm cat. When we first brought him into our apartment he had to be treated for a lot of things such as worms and fleas and mites and was bathed immediately and given shots upon arrival from the local vet. He was easy to train with the litter box and only having 3 to 4 accidents and some intentional spraying but was corrected with disciplinary actions to the point where if he sprayed he would run and hide when he saw me because he knew what he did was wrong. but now he’s such a good cat and he hasn’t had an accident in over 2 years now, so he’s gotten used to the fact that he’s only only allowed to go in the litter box and he is trained very well on that matter. Now he just has his own routine of relaxing all day of eating grooming, snuggling and being a good boy, he’s almost like a dog without all the playing but more of the napping and wanting to snuggle with you and only wanting love and attention. Just recently though my gf decided to get a female cat that is about 2 years old from the local pet store that’s been spayed and I was very nervous about this because my other cat has lived here alone by himself for quite sometime now and it’s been a while since he’s seen another cat in person, since the day we got him to be exact was the last time he’s been social with other cats but he used to live with a lot of other cats so I was thinking maybe he can handle it. Upon arrival of the new cat he seemed kind of scared of her and he would hiss if she came close to him so it seemed that he was surprised and nervous about the whole thing and at the same time very curious about the female cat. After the female cat got a feel for the new place she began finding hiding spots to hide like behind the couch etc. and she would just stay in these spots and not come out. So that played a lot of reverse psychology on cotton( my boy cat) so he would go check up on her in her hiding spot and just sit and stare at her with curiosity. But the girl cat would never come out. Time goes by and My male cat cotton I guess senses that she peed or made a accident behind the couch so he goes to investigate her pee and slowly tries to get close to her in a very non aggressive way but more of a I want to get next to you sort of way and say hi. But the female wasn’t comfortable with that and whacks my poor cotton over the head so he backed all the way up on to her pee and got it all over his butt Wich I had to clean and he was just frozen and in shock like he just got his feelings hurt and was really scared so I picked him up and tried to make him feel better and gave him a warm bath and put him in the other room. So now Im realizing that the female cat is not so comfortable because of my cat cotton I guess and her not exactly having her own space. so i transferred her to the bathroom with her own litter box, food bowl and water bowl and her own little bed to make her feel comfortable in . Time goes by and now She seems a lot less stressed and my cotton seems a lot less concerned but at first he was looking for her wondering where she went and sometimes meowing in a cry at the place she was hiding in, almost as if he was sad that he couldn’t find her or see her anymore. He now realizes though that she’s in the bathroom and he sometimes just sits at the door and stares at it and meows when I go in there with her as if he wants to come in too. But all in all my question is at the end of the day is it really that bad that he’s not neutered I just need some advise when it comes to that because he’s not a problem cat so I’m wondering if anybody thinks neutering would make a difference in this situation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 06:40 AM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Why on earth hasn't this cat been neutered. And he doesn't "run and hide because he knows it's wrong" when he sprays. An intact male cat sprays because that's what he does. He doesn't "know it's wrong", he just knows you are a bully who will be mean to him for no (in his mind) reason.

Get the cat neutered.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,438 times
Yeah but he hasn’t sprayed Or made a Accident for over two years now So he’s not having a problem with that but he’s just very curious about her because he sometimes cry’s or just sometimes sits next to the door of the bathroom that the new cat is in..

Old 10-08-2019, 01:05 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,719,393 times
I agree that spraying is normal for an intact male.

I foresee upcoming problems because he is not neutered - he will eventually try to mount the female and she won't appreciate it. I would make an appointment to have him neutered and discuss with your vet about what you can expect behavior-wise given his age at being neutered.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:23 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,868,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I agree that spraying is normal for an intact male.

I foresee upcoming problems because he is not neutered - he will eventually try to mount the female and she won't appreciate it. I would make an appointment to have him neutered and discuss with your vet about what you can expect behavior-wise given his age at being neutered.
^^^ ITA with this.

I could not imagine living with an un-neutered male. Adding a female cat and in affect you are almost being cruel. His hormones will tell him to mate with the cat, and she won't appreciate that. Not to mention other possible issues--territory, wanting to to out to find a mate, the stink of the urine.

Please get him neutered ASAP. Everyone will be happier.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,369,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric237645 View Post
I have a male cat named cotton that is a few years old now and he’s been living with my girlfriend and I for about two and a half years now and he hasn’t been neutered. He used to live outside with other cats to whom he was related too and others not related too before we adopted him and he was a very gentle, sweet and calm cat. When we first brought him into our apartment he had to be treated for a lot of things such as worms and fleas and mites and was bathed immediately and given shots upon arrival from the local vet. He was easy to train with the litter box and only having 3 to 4 accidents and some intentional spraying but was corrected with disciplinary actions to the point where if he sprayed he would run and hide when he saw me because he knew what he did was wrong. but now he’s such a good cat and he hasn’t had an accident in over 2 years now, so he’s gotten used to the fact that he’s only only allowed to go in the litter box and he is trained very well on that matter. Now he just has his own routine of relaxing all day of eating grooming, snuggling and being a good boy, he’s almost like a dog without all the playing but more of the napping and wanting to snuggle with you and only wanting love and attention. Just recently though my gf decided to get a female cat that is about 2 years old from the local pet store that’s been spayed and I was very nervous about this because my other cat has lived here alone by himself for quite sometime now and it’s been a while since he’s seen another cat in person, since the day we got him to be exact was the last time he’s been social with other cats but he used to live with a lot of other cats so I was thinking maybe he can handle it. Upon arrival of the new cat he seemed kind of scared of her and he would hiss if she came close to him so it seemed that he was surprised and nervous about the whole thing and at the same time very curious about the female cat. After the female cat got a feel for the new place she began finding hiding spots to hide like behind the couch etc. and she would just stay in these spots and not come out. So that played a lot of reverse psychology on cotton( my boy cat) so he would go check up on her in her hiding spot and just sit and stare at her with curiosity. But the girl cat would never come out. Time goes by and My male cat cotton I guess senses that she peed or made a accident behind the couch so he goes to investigate her pee and slowly tries to get close to her in a very non aggressive way but more of a I want to get next to you sort of way and say hi. But the female wasn’t comfortable with that and whacks my poor cotton over the head so he backed all the way up on to her pee and got it all over his butt Wich I had to clean and he was just frozen and in shock like he just got his feelings hurt and was really scared so I picked him up and tried to make him feel better and gave him a warm bath and put him in the other room. So now Im realizing that the female cat is not so comfortable because of my cat cotton I guess and her not exactly having her own space. so i transferred her to the bathroom with her own litter box, food bowl and water bowl and her own little bed to make her feel comfortable in . Time goes by and now She seems a lot less stressed and my cotton seems a lot less concerned but at first he was looking for her wondering where she went and sometimes meowing in a cry at the place she was hiding in, almost as if he was sad that he couldn’t find her or see her anymore. He now realizes though that she’s in the bathroom and he sometimes just sits at the door and stares at it and meows when I go in there with her as if he wants to come in too. But all in all my question is at the end of the day is it really that bad that he’s not neutered I just need some advise when it comes to that because he’s not a problem cat so I’m wondering if anybody thinks neutering would make a difference in this situation ?
To your question: Yes. A male intact cat will have hormones raging if a female is present, and neutering may go a long way to help.

As an observation (imo): You appear to be anthropomorphizing your cat (e.g., 'almost as if he was sad that he couldn’t find her or see her anymore'). It certainly sounds like your male cat wants to 'meet-n-mate' with the new female. Separating them was the initial best choice. But...do you want your female cat to live in the bathroom? Again imo: Not a good choice, absolutely not fair to her, and frustrating to an intact male who can sense/smell her. My strong suggestion: Visit your vet to discuss neutering so both cats have a chance to get along, and can live freely in the home. (Also note, discuss with your vet how long to wait after neutering to begin introducing them.)

*And as a side note: Questions that are posted as one long paragraph are very difficult to read. Using paragraph breaks makes it a lot easier on the person who is reading the post, and you are more likely to get responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats