Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 03:35 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Keep your cat INSIDE. Whether it's inside your house or apartment, whatever, just keep him where other cats can't gain access to him.
CLEARLY< this is the ONLY fix needed here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 08:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Keep your cat INSIDE. Whether it's inside your house or apartment, whatever, just keep him where other cats can't gain access to him.
I would normally recommend this as well, like 99% of the time, but if the stairway is actually inside it might not be a bad idea to see if the neighbor will agree to separate times for the cats. I only say that because I remember a “My Cat From Hell” episode where the indoor only cat was peeing all over the house and they found out it was because it knew there were ferals or strays outside and wanted to mark its territory. Not saying that the OP’s cat would necessarily do that but if the stairway is inside, I don’t see the harm other than the risk of it getting out.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
AleeGee ... as everyone has been saying it is all about territory protection. By nature cats are solitary animals and designate spaces they need to keep for themselves. Domestics (including our pets and strays and ferals) can adapt, some better than others, some not at all. In the wild a more dominant cat will push all other cats out of his territory using all kinds of tools from displaying fierceness to actual fighting if the other cat won't back off.

It's our human interference that messes up this tried-n-true system that has existed since time began. We determine the size and location of a cat's territory. We decide if territories overlap or have to be shared with other cats. It becomes a frustration and stressor, tapping into a cat's basic instinct for survival, when he cannot do what instinct is telling him to do - protect his territory.

Some cats are more territorial than others, and even the intrusion of other non-cat animals (meaning humans) can evoke a protective stance.

AleeGee ... can you clarify these stairs that each cat is trying to claim? Are they inside or outside? Is this a duplex or large apartment building? Do any of these cats have access to outside from the stairs if these are interior stairs?

Have you been able to talk to your neighbor "Abby"? If you haven't, then that is Step One, but in a way that does not put her on the defensive with "your cat is a bully". Instead say "our kitties are having troubles ... what can we do to help them?" Please understand that this is the truth, that your cat is not a victim, but a contributor since Maxi won't back down when Simba exhibits territory protection. You and "Abby" have to work together to turn the stairs into neutral territory.

I don't quite understand why either cat is allowed to roam the stairs anyway. If neither cat is allowed there, then problem solved immediately.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:55 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Ok so here is the breakdown. I have a sweet tempered, de-clawed (I didn't do it), neutered male tabby named Max(i).
My neighbor has a huge,gray, Cheshire- looking, Maine Coon named Simba. This cat and mine had a run in two years ago when Maxi started to climb his stairs, probably bcuz he smelled Nala They weren't really "his" stairs. My neighbor shall be called Abby. Simba & Nala in 2017 belonged to her college roommates. They were visiting, and Simba laid himself out like Jabba the Hut on the middle landing. So he started growling at Maxi w/out any movement. Just laying on the middle landing, growling.
Meanwhile,Maxi is extremely involved. He's taking one step forward, one back, his hair looks like Napoleon Dynamite, his tail has gone frizzy, and his eyes were bugged. I grabbed him, and that's the last of Simba and Nala until last year.
The roommates couldn't keep him and Nala. Ever since last year, Maxi & Simba have been getting into squalls. I thought they were recently trying to reconcile, but I'm wondering what the agenda of Simba is. I think he might be trying to kill Maxi. I also think he's feral. I've never seen Abby hold him or pet him or spend any time with him. He tried to attack Maxi last night. He looked like a f------ lion coming in on a deer. He wouldn't move when I stomped my foot and told him to go home. He is predatory. I can't believe he is anything other than feral. But he wouldn't have been on stairs with humans right? What is this confounded thing? He was looking at Maxi like dinner.
In the past week, Simba has been on our stairs at least three times. The week gefore, one time. I think this psycho-cat is bullying my babes. He was on OUR stairs, and Simba was trying to catfight my babes on his turf. This f------ cat is trying to take over Maxi's domain, right?
Do feral cats kill all rivals?
Is there a reason these cats are meeting in the hall and interacting rather than being kept in their respective apartments/condos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I would normally recommend this as well, like 99% of the time, but if the stairway is actually inside it might not be a bad idea to see if the neighbor will agree to separate times for the cats. I only say that because I remember a “My Cat From Hell” episode where the indoor only cat was peeing all over the house and they found out it was because it knew there were ferals or strays outside and wanted to mark its territory. Not saying that the OP’s cat would necessarily do that but if the stairway is inside, I don’t see the harm other than the risk of it getting out.
Why would letting the cat out into a hallway that smells like other cats keep it from feeling territorial? Maybe there should be NO cats in the hallways, and then no one will be smelling each other and feeling territorial about it.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:33 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,001 times
My token expired on CityData, so I didn't get to post the more detailed, visible version of my original. I would like to respond to some posts.
I don't think anyone could make it with Maxi two weeks. I've made it almost five years, and my daughter made it five months when I went to jail for 40 days for a little payback on one half of the two man tag team that catnapped him from his midnight walk, kept him sedated, then threw him through the upstairs broken window, six feet down, into the empty bedroom of the vacated (although trashed) apt four apts down from mine. Here's why:
MEOW, MEOW, MEOW, MEOW, MEOW, MEOW, MEOW, MEOW, MEOW, MEOW, snort, MAW, MAW, MAW, MAW, MAW, MAW, MAW, MAW, MAWMAWMAW, pause, NOW (that's what it sounds like anyway), NOW, NOW, NOW,NOW, NOW NOW, NOW, NOW, NOW, ow, rou, ROU, ROU, ROU

My finger is getting calloused. Do you get the picture? This goes on for three hours sometimes. Sometimes all night. Sometimes I cave in right away. I don't want him outside. For Christ sake, I'm not aModerator cut: crude language not allowed here idiot.
Maxi is a tabby. They sailed the high seas with Norse pirates. You can't resist a tabby; they always get their way. He THROWS himself against the door. He starts chewing on plastic. He starts chewing on cardboard. Everything I've ever told him no for, he starts doing to Moderator cut: language removed me off enough to kick him out.
If the meowing isn't going as planned, he sweats me. He sits and stares at me. When I get up from wherever I'm sitting, or if I'm standing and move to another location, he does too. He is on me like flies on Moderator cut: please watch your language. with all my heart, I think him and me has been the best relationship I've ever had. Maxi is my soulmate. When he goes, I will soon follow.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-07-2020 at 06:18 AM..

Old 11-12-2019, 03:59 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Tabby is not a breed, it's a pattern of fur.

Is Maxi neutered?

What's his diet?

How much attention don you give him?

How often do you play with him?

How long is he alone in the day?

Does he have scratching posts and cat trees and a window to look out of?

Old 11-12-2019, 10:15 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
Let me tell the OP a story. My SIL lives in a high-rise apartment and had her cat STOLEN because she let it out in the hallways to roam (despite our repeated warnings to not do this!). This could happen to you too.

He meows because he knows you'll give in and let him out. The answer is "tough love" and to NOT let him out. Play with him instead with a wand toy. Give him a puzzle treat ball so he'll have something to do instead. Just STOP letting him out and be firm.

Will it be hard? Yes. But it will be worth it. He won't be lost, stolen, hurt etc.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:16 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Moderator cut: quote removed

So the cat was catnapped & abused, yet you still let him wonder the halls. That, imo, is crazy. Keep him inside, safe from other cats, & crazy humans. Let alone any other dangers.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-07-2020 at 06:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats