Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 11:25 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

Just curious?

As been using their Chicken, Turkey, Chicken/Liver combo -- all pate's. Then alos recently, added a few pouches of Duck & now a can yet of Whitefish (wild). Also have a sample can of Wild Salmon but cats shouldn't get much (really any) fish.

I keep in here in case all else fails & need to jumpstart appetite, as my 2 cats will eat it if nothing else.

Figures, huh? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 02:56 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Organix is the one brand neither my cat nor even the cats at work will even touch. Even Sir Fluff, who is NOT picky at all, will look at me if I try to give it to him as if he's saying, "Huh? That's not even food."

Old 11-25-2019, 05:17 AM

294 posts, read 180,025 times
Our cat eats it but it’s not her favorite.

I bought a case but might look Into options once gone. It’s juts so hard to find something “decent”.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
Our cat eats it but it’s not her favorite.

I bought a case but might look Into options once gone. It’s juts so hard to find something “decent”.

Yes, that is the problem isn't it. Feeding a variety of brands can help cut down on the yuck the cat gets, that each brand adds to their formulas.

Just so people are aware, Castor and Pollux is owned by Nestle Purina now. It started as a litte independent pet food company making good quality products. A number of years ago Merrick bought them out and shortly after that Purina took over Merrick.

So if you feed this brand watch it carefully, it's been about 2 years now, and sooner or later someone wil probably decide to mess with it.

What the Organix has got going for it now, at least for the chicken varieties, is it is non-GMO Project Verified. I don't think the other formulas are non-GMO Project Verified, but are labeled USDA organic.

I would find the Organix chicken (as it is now) to be a pretty good product as far as processed canned diets go, except for the peas. It's too bad about the peas, but most of these products do have some sort of GI inflaming legume added to boost protein levels. ZiwiPeak canned, for instance, while a pretty good product, has chick peas.

Read labels, feed a variety in rotation, avoid carrageenan and agar-agar, xanthan gum and menadione sodium bisulfate, cellulose, dyes, artificial flavor, grains (especially corn,wheat and rice).

And remember that, even having said all that, ANY wet is better than any kibble.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yes, that is the problem isn't it. Feeding a variety of brands can help cut down on the yuck the cat gets, that each brand adds to their formulas.

Just so people are aware, Castor and Pollux is owned by Nestle Purina now. It started as a litte independent pet food company making good quality products. A number of years ago Merrick bought them out and shortly after that Purina took over Merrick.

So if you feed this brand watch it carefully, it's been about 2 years now, and sooner or later someone wil probably decide to mess with it.

What the Organix has got going for it now, at least for the chicken varieties, is it is non-GMO Project Verified. I don't think the other formulas are non-GMO Project Verified, but are labeled USDA organic.

I would find the Organix chicken (as it is now) to be a pretty good product as far as processed canned diets go, except for the peas. It's too bad about the peas, but most of these products do have some sort of GI inflaming legume added to boost protein levels. ZiwiPeak canned, for instance, while a pretty good product, has chick peas.

Read labels, feed a variety in rotation, avoid carrageenan and agar-agar, xanthan gum and menadione sodium bisulfate, cellulose, dyes, artificial flavor, grains (especially corn,wheat and rice).

And remember that, even having said all that, ANY wet is better than any kibble.
TY, sums it again very well.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:54 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
"Is Wet Cat Food Better Than Dry?"
https://www.petfinder.com/cats/cat-n...-dry-cat-food/

Last edited by eastriver; 11-26-2019 at 01:03 AM..

Old 11-26-2019, 05:28 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post

Well, that's an article sponsored by Purina. The person who has a vet "really against dry food" is a lucky person with a good vet. The two answers contain false myths. Kibble doesn't clean teeth, for example or benefit dental health in any way, in fact it is quite detrimental because of the high carb content. Any vet who says such a thing discredits herself immediately.

And there certainly IS a "right answer". Cats are strict obligate carnivores designed to get their moisture from their food. Also designed to eat a low carb diet.

For an unbiased view point from a vet who has made feline nutrition her life's work I recommend you read this website which is not sponsored by any pet food company, only a vet who knows about feline nutrition

www.catinfo.org

Old 11-26-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Well, that's an article sponsored by Purina. The person who has a vet "really against dry food" is a lucky person with a good vet. The two answers contain false myths. Kibble doesn't clean teeth, for example or benefit dental health in any way, in fact it is quite detrimental because of the high carb content. Any vet who says such a thing discredits herself immediately.

And there certainly IS a "right answer". Cats are strict obligate carnivores designed to get their moisture from their food. Also designed to eat a low carb diet.

For an unbiased view point from a vet who has made feline nutrition her life's work I recommend you read this website which is not sponsored by any pet food company, only a vet who knows about feline nutrition

www.catinfo.org
Some vets prescribe certain dry foods for cats who are susceptible to urinary problems (calcium oxalate stones, struvite stones, etc.). Cats are pretty good at hydrating when they're thirsty. I have personally witnessed a cat drinking water.

Plus that canned stuff can have a lot of gelatins and gravies and salt that are not commonly found in the wild.

Quote:
And there certainly IS a "right answer". Cats are strict obligate carnivores designed to get their moisture from their food.
Do you believe that cats do not drink water to obtain moisture?

Last edited by eastriver; 11-26-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Some vets prescribe certain dry foods for cats who are susceptible to urinary problems (calcium oxalate stones, struvite stones, etc.). Cats are pretty good at hydrating when they're thirsty. I have personally witnessed a cat drinking water.

Plus that canned stuff can have a lot of gelatins and gravies and salt that are not commonly found in the wild.

Do you believe that cats do not drink water to obtain moisture?
Umm, just a quick common sense question but; how in the world can a cat HYDRATE by taking in dry food devoid of h20?? Am I able to eat popcorn before a hot date, not brush my teeth as a cat can't do either, then expect my teeth not to ROT out over time -- let alone my kidneys to dehydrate due to lack of any moisture. Does popcorn contain a good amount of h2o? This is the argument for dry food cat food makers make, & it lacks common sense -- let alone scientific backing.

And after eating this dry food in the wild, umm again, where do they find dry food that has meat in it? on a tree or underground or...? Go to a grocery store & stand in line?? Then stop at a convenience store after buying dry food & pickup a soft drink or bottles h2o for themselves? Hmm, if I see this I know I've been drinking too much.

Often when cats DO drink alot of h2o it is response to kidney issues. A cat in the wild has a LOW thirst drive & again, this is due to obtaining h2o from organ meats, etc. of the prey/animals they've killed for their food. We ppl, indoors, feed dry as a convenience -- rather than as a biological need for what the cat really needs.

Obligate (carnivore) is the key word, as they are by their very inherent nature needing ONLY meat rather than carbs or the junk kibble has it in. Even when blueberries, cranberries, peas or potatoes or such are "added" to fortify cat foods made by humans -- it is to extend shelf life or as a filler to foods. Thus, this act adds dehydration to a cat as they drink very little & so often do not hydrate kidney enough -- & end up w/ the MOST 2 common ways cat dies. That of renal failure, as it is often setup again by unscrupulous cat food makers to entice the cat to eat via this "tasty" junk.

But in reality, it shortens the lives of the very PET they need to EXTEND the lives of -- as it is in their $$$ interest to have a cat live long -- not pass away early & thus "lose" a customer for life. Makes sense?

Some vets are on board w/ this biological need, other vets are in left field or in bed w/ supposed "urinary diets" or other such nonsense spouted by uneducated sales reps -- despite the vets themselves being a supposed "educated vet school professional".

Rant over.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Umm, just a quick common sense question but; how in the world can a cat HYDRATE by taking in dry food devoid of h20?? Am I able to eat popcorn before a hot date, not brush my teeth as a cat can't do either, then expect my teeth not to ROT out over time -- let alone my kidneys to dehydrate due to lack of any moisture. Does popcorn contain a good amount of h2o? This is the argument for dry food cat food makers make, & it lacks common sense -- let alone scientific backing.

And after eating this dry food in the wild, umm again, where do they find dry food that has meat in it? on a tree or underground or...? Go to a grocery store & stand in line?? Then stop at a convenience store after buying dry food & pickup a soft drink or bottles h2o for themselves? Hmm, if I see this I know I've been drinking too much.

Often when cats DO drink alot of h2o it is response to kidney issues. A cat in the wild has a LOW thirst drive & again, this is due to obtaining h2o from organ meats, etc. of the prey/animals they've killed for their food. We ppl, indoors, feed dry as a convenience -- rather than as a biological need for what the cat really needs.

Obligate (carnivore) is the key word, as they are by their very inherent nature needing ONLY meat rather than carbs or the junk kibble has it in. Even when blueberries, cranberries, peas or potatoes or such are "added" to fortify cat foods made by humans -- it is to extend shelf life or as a filler to foods. Thus, this act adds dehydration to a cat as they drink very little & so often do not hydrate kidney enough -- & end up w/ the MOST 2 common ways cat dies. That of renal failure, as it is often setup again by unscrupulous cat food makers to entice the cat to eat via this "tasty" junk.

But in reality, it shortens the lives of the very PET they need to EXTEND the lives of -- as it is in their $$$ interest to have a cat live long -- not pass away early & thus "lose" a customer for life. Makes sense?

Some vets are on board w/ this biological need, other vets are in left field or in bed w/ supposed "urinary diets" or other such nonsense spouted by uneducated sales reps -- despite the vets themselves being a supposed "educated vet school professional".

Rant over.
If you've ever seen a cat drink water--their tongues are designed with little microscopic hooks to lap it up--they're doing it for a reason.

Some of the bagged prescription preparations are formulated to make a cat slightly thirstier for H2O than usual, so that they drink a little more water for satiation than ordinary for a daily routine, and accordingly they pee a little more every day. I.e., they're getting more hydration, and their kidneys and ureters and bladders are being flushed more. The hypothesis is that is better for cats who are predisposed to mineral-related urinary blockages.

Last edited by eastriver; 11-26-2019 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats