Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 09:29 AM

17,265 posts, read 11,110,961 times

Advertisements

I'm sharing this because I think it shows how much some people love their cats even under bad circumstances.
There are a lot of homeless people in the city I live in, some have dogs. There is one homeless man near my work who I occasionally see pushing a shopping cart filled with his personal things and on top of the cart is a covered cat bed. The cat I see with him looks like a male version of my Mrs. Robinson so I have a lot of sympathy.
This person obviously loves his cat very much. He has a harness for the cat and sometimes walks the cat with him. Other times the cat is up on top in his cat house riding along while the cart is being pushed. If he sees the cat tiring or falling a little behind while on leash, he'll say something to the cat and pick him up. The cat looks healthy, well fed and actually happy to be with this person. The cat is mature and older and it seems the two of them have been together for a long time. The homeless man does have a car he keeps parked so they are out of the elements during bad weather.
I've never seen this person panhandle for money so I don't know how he gets by. I bought about 20 cans of extra cat food and drove around where he usually hangs out until I found him. He was sitting with the cat by his side eating a large burger. I gave the man the cat food and he was very grateful and appreciative. He didn't ask me for money and the cat gave me a grateful meow.

Last edited by marino760; 01-11-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 12:09 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,543,134 times
Hey, this is awesome!

Kind ppl like you & him are needed badly re feral/homeless/stray cats. There's so many kitties roaming, hungry, tired, scared & homeless. It is so nice seeing folks actually caring about those far less fortunate. TY for posting this!

Old 01-11-2020, 02:46 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,506,468 times
Homeless people and homeless animals bond because they understand each other and both are comforting the other. Thanks for posting this nice story that highlights not all homeless people are bad..i am formerly homeless and here in building where i have small apartment there is a community of 9 abandoned kitties who are well fed healthy and seem content. Several people in area feed them they access building used for storage so get outa weather. I idenify and sympathize with them ..oh yeah i take them treats too...

Old 01-11-2020, 03:25 PM

6,883 posts, read 4,345,306 times
We have a local guy with his cat here too. Whenever I see him I give him $5. He always says it will go for the cat’s food.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:32 PM

6,037 posts, read 4,397,653 times
Bless everyone who cares for something other than themselves. Nice story re the cat food donation.

The shelter near me is so poor they will take open food and treats - so anything my cat hates has a home. Buy 3 cans and she won't touch the first one? The other two feed someone else.

You can tell who feeds cats in our town. Around sundown, 7 or 8 beautiful cats can be seen waiting patiently on the back deck for dinner. I wish he'd TNR them, but at least they're kind of healthy.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:42 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,543,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Bless everyone who cares for something other than themselves. Nice story re the cat food donation.

The shelter near me is so poor they will take open food and treats - so anything my cat hates has a home. Buy 3 cans and she won't touch the first one? The other two feed someone else.

You can tell who feeds cats in our town. Around sundown, 7 or 8 beautiful cats can be seen waiting patiently on the back deck for dinner. I wish he'd TNR them, but at least they're kind of healthy.
Can you again repost that Shelter's name? Many here might give to them as they are really in need.

I can't hear this & sit idle. Please let everyone know &, as you know, we shall talk too.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:29 PM

9 posts, read 4,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm sharing this because I think it shows how much some people love their cats even under bad circumstances.
There are a lot of homeless people in the city I live in, some have dogs. There is one homeless man near my work who I occasionally see pushing a shopping cart filled with his personal things and on top of the cart is a covered cat bed. The cat I see with him looks like a male version of my Mrs. Robinson so I have a lot of sympathy.
This person obviously loves his cat very much. He has a harness for the cat and sometimes walks the cat with him. Other times the cat is up on top in his cat house riding along while the cart is being pushed. If he sees the cat tiring or falling a little behind while on leash, he'll say something to the cat and pick him up. The cat looks healthy, well fed and actually happy to be with this person. The cat is mature and older and it seems the two of them have been together for a long time. The homeless man does have a car he keeps parked so they are out of the elements during bad weather.
I've never seen this person panhandle for money so I don't know how he gets by. I bought about 20 cans of extra cat food and drove around where he usually hangs out until I found him. He was sitting with the cat by his side eating a large burger. I gave the man the cat food and he was very grateful and appreciative. He didn't ask me for money and the cat gave me a grateful meow.

That is so sweet of you. Its nice seeing a post like this where people understand that homeless people deserves pets too. Pets can be emotional companions for them just like anyone else. People automatically assume that homeless people cant take care of their pets or should not have pets. Its really ignorant. I just saw a video of these people assaulting a homeless man and stealing his dog from him because of that. Its diagusting. If the animal doesnt mind being with them, I dont understand what the issue is.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:17 AM

6,037 posts, read 4,397,653 times
I think the companionship of a pet would give you a reason to go on if you were homeless and had little else. And pets are loyal to their people, not their possessions.

I read too many stories of people doing horrible things; it's one reason the original post touched us all.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:53 AM

4,487 posts, read 3,891,828 times
Kudos to you OP. I also tend to give more money to vagrants when they have an animal with them.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:12 AM

9,238 posts, read 10,993,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well, God bless you is all I can say. A good or kind deed to a stranger, or a critter, is always a good thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats