Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 11:37 AM

638 posts, read 993,554 times

Advertisements

I know there’s not that many of you out there,but those that have indoor/outdoor cats,how’s it working out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 08:46 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Just fine! Blaliko and Seteria wouldn't have it any other way - and neither did Weasie.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Working out fine for us until something happens. They will not budge. In fact a rampage has begun since I don't like them to go out this late. THEY love it. Best of both worlds. They don't know the danger.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:26 AM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
Thanks for your responses. That’s good to know. Our story and situation is too long and complex to share but we may be trying it even though I am VERY apprehensive and will worry about them when they are out enjoying their freedom and the great outdoors. What about when you had them spayed or neutered and they need to stay inside until healed? Did you force them to stay in? If not,did being outside hinder their healing?

Old 01-25-2020, 05:28 AM

26 posts, read 8,750 times
Works well. All cats are fixed to prevent breeding. They use the doggie door and love it. I did make them stay inside a few days after the surgery to heal.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:52 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We’ve always had indoor/outdoor cats. Always spayed or neutered. The cats get so much joy out of being able to be cats...stalking things, climbing trees, hunting things and just chasing things. Along with this comes some bad stuff, like fleas and tapeworm from critters, one of ours got run over, and the demise of a bird or two.

I have found that most of them don’t wander too far, but once in awhile you get one that roams, and they usually don’t fair too well.

We don’t have a cat now, but we have a neighbor who will trap any cat that comes to his yard, and take it to the pound. If you have any neighbors who don’t like cats, that should be considered.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:14 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We’ve always had indoor/outdoor cats. Always spayed or neutered. The cats get so much joy out of being able to be cats...stalking things, climbing trees, hunting things and just chasing things. Along with this comes some bad stuff, like fleas and tapeworm from critters, one of ours got run over, and the demise of a bird or two.

I have found that most of them don’t wander too far, but once in awhile you get one that roams, and they usually don’t fair too well.

We don’t have a cat now, but we have a neighbor who will trap any cat that comes to his yard, and take it to the pound. If you have any neighbors who don’t like cats, that should be considered.

Can't say I blame your neighbor. If I ever saw the cat who habitually comes around and sprays my door and trash can and house siding and car, and leaves piles of feces on my door step, I'd do the same thing. I never see him though. Only smell him.

People who think it's so great to let their cats "roam" have no consideration for their neighbors do they. It's not difficult to cat proof your yard so your cats can go out, but stay safe, and not annoy everyone else who lives around you.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:57 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Can't say I blame your neighbor. If I ever saw the cat who habitually comes around and sprays my door and trash can and house siding and car, and leaves piles of feces on my door step, I'd do the same thing. I never see him though. Only smell him.

People who think it's so great to let their cats "roam" have no consideration for their neighbors do they. It's not difficult to cat proof your yard so your cats can go out, but stay safe, and not annoy everyone else who lives around you.
I understand how you feel, but not everyone is bothered. The neighbor i spoke about got tired of picking up the neighbors cat poop, and would fling it over the fence into their pool.

We are delighted to get visits from our neighbors cat. He doesn’t do any damage. We just give him a pat, and off he goes.

For the most part our cats have stayed in their own yard. I believe the cats that aren’t neutered tend to wander around, raping and pillaging, but otherwise they stick pretty close.

One thing I should mention is that you should keep your cats in at night. It is during the night that the wild ones come around and start fights. One of our cats got attacked in the yard at night. This is almost always followed by expensive vet bills.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:01 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,531,425 times
We call cats that go outside coyote cookies. Besides that cats get killed by dogs and run over by cars. It’s a bad idea.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 4,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
I know there’s not that many of you out there,but those that have indoor/outdoor cats,how’s it working out for you?

How do they handle the worrying? I dont think I could deal with having an indoor/outdoor cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats