Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:33 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I have not said anything about taming or adopting. You are misunderstanding me. What I am saying is, if you feed feral cats on your property they are your responsibility. Their health is your responsibility. If someone complains about them, they are your responsibility. If they breed, the kittens are your responsibility. (TNR is also your responsibility) If you feed them on your property, they are yours to care for. Morally as well as most likely legally. Check your local laws.

PS I draw your attention to the title of your thread.
Few places have laws like that. I become 'responsible' due to becoming attached, or even w/o, simply an animal being in my line of sight in need. Which feeding on my porch brings them into my line of sight. But there is no legal or moral obligation to do more than feed if that is all I can do.

Several people in my complex have food on their porches and there is a colony next door. It's doing a huge service just feeding and watering. The cats don't have to roam in constant search for food.

I also (along with who knows how many other people) buy a can for the convenience store cat whenever I go, and I am ready with flea application if he needs that, but I can't pay for his vet care if he needs it. He got snipped and vaccinated by someone else.

My heart is bigger than my wallet. I miss my strays coming to visit but mostly I am glad my cat keeps them away. The stress of it is no good.

I worry too much about them. Are they stray or feral or a neighbor cat? Are they snipped? Do they have shelter? (I can't provide one - the HOA would toss it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 08:36 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,159 times
We had 1 feral cat and he was beautiful... the most beautiful fur and teeth I had ever seen on an adult cat. I figured he was eating what he killed out there in the forest (we lived in a Nat'l forest) so I researched a raw food diet and that's what we kept him on. It's been a while now but I do recall raw chicken wings, livers, etc. He would eat raw grass fed beef but no commercially raised beef (which I found VERY telling!). He did great on that diet. Unfortunately, he got into a fight with another very large feral cat that had infectious feline peritonitis from which there is no return.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:59 AM

638 posts, read 992,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Few places have laws like that. I become 'responsible' due to becoming attached, or even w/o, simply an animal being in my line of sight in need. Which feeding on my porch brings them into my line of sight. But there is no legal or moral obligation to do more than feed if that is all I can do.

Several people in my complex have food on their porches and there is a colony next door. It's doing a huge service just feeding and watering. The cats don't have to roam in constant search for food.

I also (along with who knows how many other people) buy a can for the convenience store cat whenever I go, and I am ready with flea application if he needs that, but I can't pay for his vet care if he needs it. He got snipped and vaccinated by someone else.

My heart is bigger than my wallet. I miss my strays coming to visit but mostly I am glad my cat keeps them away. The stress of it is no good.

I worry too much about them. Are they stray or feral or a neighbor cat? Are they snipped? Do they have shelter? (I can't provide one - the HOA would toss it).
I totally agree and if there are laws like that,they aren’t enforced. It would be impossible to enforce them everywhere. Just because you’re helping them out shouldn’t make you responsible for everything else they need anymore than helping a homeless person out. Just because you help them doesn’t automatically make you responsible for their health care,etc. They come,they eat and go on their way and at least we know they didn’t go to bed hungry. As for causing havoc,most cats sleep 12-16 hours a day which is probably a good thing. I feel you when you say you worry about them as well because I’m the same way. If I could,I would save and take care of all of them but it’s impossible. We just do what we can and hope and pray for the best.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
I totally agree and if there are laws like that,they aren’t enforced. It would be impossible to enforce them everywhere. Just because you’re helping them out shouldn’t make you responsible for everything else they need anymore than helping a homeless person out. Just because you help them doesn’t automatically make you responsible for their health care,etc. They come,they eat and go on their way and at least we know they didn’t go to bed hungry. As for causing havoc,most cats sleep 12-16 hours a day which is probably a good thing. I feel you when you say you worry about them as well because I’m the same way. If I could,I would save and take care of all of them but it’s impossible. We just do what we can and hope and pray for the best.
I can see where one could be held liable. Example: I consistently feed a cat which is why it's around and it attacks the neighbor's dog or damages their property.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I can see where one could be held liable. Example: I consistently feed a cat which is why it's around and it attacks the neighbor's dog or damages their property.
Of course,I guess I could possibly see that as well. However,it’s still not your cat and it might have been around on their property even if you weren’t feeding it. Doubtful though because most cats are scared to death of dogs and run from them. There’s too many variables to get into all the what if’s. Like I said,you just do what your heart tells you,the best you can physically and financially and just hope and pray for the best for all.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:56 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
I assume you’re talking about the one I have managed to tame and socialize enough to take to get for spaying and vaccinations which I have every intention of doing if possible. That is a whole different subject than what we’re talking about here now.

Again, you assume incorrectly. I am not speaking in specifics here. I am stating a very simple general concept. Someone who feeds feral cats on their property is responsible for those cats. I am not talking about you are your cats specifically. The bottom line is, for anyone who chooses to feed feral or stray cats, if you feed them, they are yours. Check your local laws.
And laws or not, in my opinion, ethically and morally, if you are going to feed them, you are responsible for their welfare as well.

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-03-2020 at 12:09 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Again, you assume incorrectly. I am not speaking in specifics here. I am stating a very simple general concept. Someone who feeds feral cats on their property is responsible for those cats. I am not talking about you are your cats specifically. The bottom line is, for anyone who chooses to feed feral or stray cats, if you feed them, they are yours. Check your local laws.
And laws or not, in my opinion, ethically and morally, if you are going to feed them, you are responsible for their welfare as well.
Whatever you say dear. Like I’ve already stated,if there are such laws,they’re not enforced or we and a lot of other people would have been in a heap of trouble years ago.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:25 PM

If that became the rule, then most people would have to stop feeding. A lot of poor people feed ferals and strays. It's something we can afford to do to help. But we can't do more. Well, I will spring for flea treatment. It's $10 or $20 depending if I suspect ear mites and want to use the Revolution instead of Advantage.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
The cats don't have to roam in constant search for food.

Cats are hardwired to roam in search of food. Their genetic code tells them they're still trying to survive in a harsh desert environment. This is why so many well-meaning people assume that if a cat eats the food they leave out, the cat is either homeless or isn't being fed at home. Another good reason to keep cats indoors.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
I occasionally trap/spay or neuter/release true ferals at my home in Alaska (there's only one there now). Here's what the state of Alaska has to say about leaving pet food outdoors:

Quote:
It is against the law to feed bears. The law states, "A person may not intentionally feed a moose, deer, elk, bear, wolf, coyote, fox, or wolverine, or negligently leave human food, animal food, or garbage in a manner that attracts these animals"
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...rs.bearharmony

So the feral kitty gets a can of food in the morning and one at night, and there's nothing left over in her dish. Leaving dry food out would attract wildlife, but I knew that before the law was enacted. The feral kitty also has some high places to get away from predators. Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually doing her any favors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats