Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 11:59 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times

Advertisements

A vet or assistant may have pulled her paw in such a position trying to get the angle best for the assistant and in so doing that caused an injury. Do you have a better vet you can go to? Has that leg been x-rayed?

I get very upset with the great need of some people to cut nails prematurely and badly. And especially doing so without asking.

One of mine needed his because while he was a supreme gentle alpha indoors he was strong in the outside area and won every tiff. I was furious when the vet cut his nails which I know did not need cutting. Imagine his shock if he had bravely confronted another cat without his claws.

And yet another of my cats, a sweet little one, was only around out house including outdoors but liked to climb. I think from when she was very young when we found her left behind in house with high ceilings where she liked to get that rafter view. The vet cut them without asking.

Then a third even after I said not to...the vet took her back for a regular shot and apparently it was practice nail cutting time again and they cut her nail short. So mad when I saw she could not climb to her bed. This was a peaceful sweet older cat with an illness being well treated. We had a sofa she could climb after a fashion so that she could still feel like a cat. What she and I did was she would go to the sofa and I would put my hand under her little rear and gently lift her as she used her front nails to climb the loosely woven fabric. Imagine my shock when her front nails weren't connecting. The vet had cut her nails and never even told me.

I made complaints. I reasoned. I stated what was going on with the cats. Seems like they were in some odd frame of mind and just driven to trim anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 04:35 PM

9 posts, read 2,984 times
The vet also thought she could have had a small stroke. Anyone familiar with strokes in cats regarding recovery?

Old 01-31-2020, 05:09 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Yes I have dealt with stroke. This was 12 years ago. My tiny girl was 17 with CKD, hyperthyroid, high blood pressure, megacolon, heart murmur, and severe arthritis. She had her first stroke in the summer she was 17. I found her staggering around in circles in the bathroom in the early morning when I got up to feed her (where she liked to sleep and where I kept an extra litter box for her). I took her straight to the vet. She had some deafness in her left ear from it, but after a few weeks fully recovered, even to the deafness going away.

Between her first and second stroke she had to have a dental because she had teeth that were paining her. My vet used sevoflourane anesthesia, and she got through it with flying colors as the saying goes, and felt so much better after she was almost like a kitten again (comparatively speaking!), except for her arthritis.

Her second stroke was about 5 months later. I found her in the same way, early morning in the bathroom (she had to have a 4 a.m. meal to get through the night) This one was a bit more severe, and she was left with a funny sideways way of walking, her body curved in a slight U shape, but she still was having a nice life and said she wasn't ready to leave it.

Her third stroke was 6 months after that, just around the time she turned 18, and again I found her circling and stumbling in the bathroom in the early morning, but this one was much more severe and she told me she'd had enough, so when we got to the vet I let her go.

Incidentally she was unable to tolerate the medication for either the hyperthyroid or the high blood pressure, so the strokes were not unexpected. She had been on sub q fluids and vitamin B injections (both done at home) for 3 years.

How is your precious girl today?

Old 01-31-2020, 07:24 AM

She still is unable to walk. She's been on Gabapentin for 3 days now. I started her on CBD yesterday. I guess this is all just a coincidence that it happened after she went to the vet. Catsmom21, when your cat had the first stroke, was she able to walk? She's eating and drinking well.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:48 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
Don’t go back to that vet and sue them.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:24 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
I've been following this thread and feel very bad for you and your kitty. IDK if a nail was growing into the pad or not, but a 21-year old cat is very fragile they should have taken EXTRA caution with her!

I guess you can't know if she's had a stroke but at her age it's possible.

ITA with the post above and I would no longer patronize this vet. I'd also tell them why you are leaving.

I send you purrs and good thoughts.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:42 AM

Thank you. Unfortunately, my initial appointment wasn't with my regular vet so I had to see another vet in the office, which I will never see again. To this date, she still has not responded to my email. In addition, I got a copy of the medical records and there is no entry regarding the nail trim or the nail growing into the pad for that matter. I feel she should have alerted my sitter and requested permission to clip the nails. Then, on top of all of that, they made me buy a fluid kit...they said I should have brought my own fluids, which no one mentioned that when I made my appointments. I'm contemplating discussing all of this with the owner. I took Bailey to MY vet today for laser therapy. She examined Bailey and thinks she might have had a stroke. She said her right side seems a little droopy and that is the side that's giving her problems with walking.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:07 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krigg View Post
She still is unable to walk. She's been on Gabapentin for 3 days now. I started her on CBD yesterday. I guess this is all just a coincidence that it happened after she went to the vet. Catsmom21, when your cat had the first stroke, was she able to walk? She's eating and drinking well.

Yes, she was able to walk. She was quite wobbly for a day or two, and the deafness in her left ear lasted a couple of weeks, but after that she went back to normal. Her arthritis was quite severe, so nomral for her then was a bit wobbly and slow anyway.

After the second stroke was when she had a little more difficulty, she became sort of U shaped with a sideways tilt to her walk. Still she wasn't ready yet to leave us.

After the third stroke she made it clear she was ready, I never brought her home from the vet, but made sure everyone said good bye first. The other cats I mean.

What are you doing to care for her? Are you carrying her to the litter box, for instance?

Old 01-31-2020, 03:13 PM

I'm so afraid that another stroke is in the future and it will be worse. She cannot walk or stand on her own and is just now barely trying to prop herself up. She's in her bed with potty pads. When I take her to the litterbox, she just lays there. I've tried holding her up with a sling, but she doesn't want to move. But, if I do that and face her towards her bed, she'll somewhat walk to her bed. When I had her in her carrier to take her to her laser appt, she actually sat up and she did that yesterday at the E/R vet. Maybe she feels more secure in the small space?

Old 02-01-2020, 01:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krigg View Post
I'm so afraid that another stroke is in the future and it will be worse. She cannot walk or stand on her own and is just now barely trying to prop herself up. She's in her bed with potty pads. When I take her to the litterbox, she just lays there. I've tried holding her up with a sling, but she doesn't want to move. But, if I do that and face her towards her bed, she'll somewhat walk to her bed. When I had her in her carrier to take her to her laser appt, she actually sat up and she did that yesterday at the E/R vet. Maybe she feels more secure in the small space?
So sorry that you & your sweet old girl are going through this. It is probably close to the time of making that decision. Compare the good days to the bad, and her quality of life. I have been where you are, and it is terribly hard to do.
Peace be with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats