Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 07:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

See the vet ours had to change diet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 07:22 AM

294 posts, read 180,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
See the vet ours had to change diet
I agree and we went to two. None could really find anything. We at one point had her on raw only, removed all chicken from her diet, no kibble. Never went away. We use laundry detergent for sensitive skin etc. Maybe we have to eventually do an allergy test. We are due for shots in April anyways.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:51 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
If ear mites, yeast and other ear infections have been ruled out, it sounds like an allergy. Is the itching on the outside of the ear or does she also scratch on the inside?

My girl has always been plagued by her right ear being dirty and itchy/irritated. However one time, she had an really inflamed ear (vet examined with an otoscope) and it was treated with prescription medicines. Now whenever I notice that her ear is bothering her, I wash it with an over-the-counter ear wash. It seems to alleviate the problem (at least for awhile).

Old 03-01-2020, 04:03 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Is she spayed? My cat was scratching a lot around her ears to the point of bleeding. When I took her to get spayed they said she had really bad ovarian cysts. After the spay all of the itching went away. It was not itching it was what is called SIB brought on by stress and pain.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:18 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,674 times
Naturen, one of her ears has some pink on the inside, I think because she sticks her whole foot in there to scratch it. I have thought about cleaning the ears because they look waxy to me, but Katie had just been checked out so thoroughly that I figure any vet would see if her ears needed to be cleaned...

Shadowfax, she is spayed.

We're keeping her on the same level of allergy shots until mid-summer, so her body gets really used to the same old amount of allergens coming in. She's had mostly good days lately, scratching but not to the point of redness or bleeding. I would say it's one level up from the average cat that scratches during the day.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:19 AM

This may be a 'silly' question but did you specifically ask the vet if they checked her ears. Furthermore if they were checked, did they use a scope that projects the image on a screen (don't know the name of it - it may be called an operating microscope)? I was present when the vet scoped my girl and I could see clearly that her ear was full of pus, detritus, and incredibly inflamed.

The instrument is not the usual otoscope but here is a description that kind of describes what I was able to see:

Operating Microscope allows greatly magnified 3D visualization of eardrum, ear canal, ossicles and middle ear space. Additionally allows observer to use various other instruments safely

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
Naturen, one of her ears has some pink on the inside, I think because she sticks her whole foot in there to scratch it. I have thought about cleaning the ears because they look waxy to me, but Katie had just been checked out so thoroughly that I figure any vet would see if her ears needed to be cleaned...

Old 03-09-2020, 11:44 PM

Not a silly question at all! Honestly I doubt the scope you are talking about was ever used on her ears. She's had the itching for quite a while now, and has two hospital stays for other reasons, so I figured while she was hospitalized they would look in her ears as part of a general exam. Also she specifically sees a dermatologist for this problem, whom I figure MUST have thoroughly looked at her ears to determine what treatment she needed.

She's had allergy shots weekly since last September, but only had the serious itching period when I first posted this topic. It lasted a few days and got better. It might have been because while she was in the hospital in January she temporarily did not have her allergy shot, then a week later had a half dose, then a week later almost the full dose. We might have amped it up too quickly (followed dermatologist's directions, though). I think she just needed the dose to be more consistent.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:24 AM

If I were you, I would double check with all of them to determine if they thoroughly examined her ears. From what I have read, yeast infections in the ears can be common in cats.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:12 PM

Okay, I will do that. Thank you for your help.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:45 PM

294 posts, read 180,025 times
Our allergy pills didn’t work (previous post). I think she was just less itchy for a few days but they didn’t have a long term effect.

But we found something! Finally! She has been on it for 10‘days and she doesn’t itch and her hair on the belly are growing back. She is not Biting her nipples anymore! The belly is now grey, not pink (she is a Russian blue - ish cat). Found on Amazon „obsession solution“ by this Tv cat guy. They are expensive and I though I am wasting again money. I put 5 drops on her neck whenever she gets food and after three days, she suddenly stopped. I cannot explain but even her hair on the ears are growing back. She is grooming herself but not obsessively scratching her body and ears, or biting her paws and nipples. Might only work for us but we finally found a solution for at least our problem. She was itchy since day 1 when we got her which was back in September last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats