Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 12:35 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,985 times

Advertisements

My 4-year-old cat Katie has itchy ears. She was on Prednisolone for a long time and it helped her, but now she has HCM and I don't want to risk making her heart worse with it. She is getting allergy shots once a week, but I think they're so intense now (full dose she has gotten twice or three times now) that they are making her too itchy. They are made up of the things she's allergic to, which are dust/storage mites and fleas. It may take a year to find out if these shots are going to help her or not. In the meantime, how do I help her to stop itching and scratching? Her ears are red and she keeps making herself bleed a little bit.

I've been putting on styptic powder for the little blood spots and a cat moisturizer for the itching. It helps for a while but when it wears off she's a mess again. Anything else I can do? I called the doctor and the receptionist said they'd call back. Never called or emailed. I emailed them again tonight explaning I never heard from them. Nothing like quick medical help you can rely on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 04:22 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
This could be a food allergy. What's her diet?

Has she had a good ear clean out (under anesthesia) and cultures done of the ear contents?

Do you keep her claws trimmed? I wonder if nail caps on her hind paws might help reduce the damage she s doing while you try to find the source.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:48 AM

I don't think it's a food allergy because there is no vomiting or diarrhea involved. Doctor didn't think it was, either. She is very difficult to feed and I'd hate to change her diet on top of everything. She's gone in the hospital twice for lack of appetite. She eats only canned Friskies. I took her off Open Farm dry food because she kept getting dehydrated. It is miserably dry in this house.

When she was in the hospital they checked her ears for mites and did not find any.

Her claws are trimmed for sure. I'm careful about that. I was thinking about nail caps, too. Thanks for your answer.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:05 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
I wonder if seeing a good holistic vet would help her. My guess is that your vet is out of ideas.

Another poster here has a kitty with a chronic sinus issue that traditional vets weren't able to pinpoint, so she went to a holistic vet. See this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/cats...vet-visit.html

Old 02-04-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
I don't think it's a food allergy because there is no vomiting or diarrhea involved. Doctor didn't think it was, either. She is very difficult to feed and I'd hate to change her diet on top of everything. She's gone in the hospital twice for lack of appetite. She eats only canned Friskies. I took her off Open Farm dry food because she kept getting dehydrated. It is miserably dry in this house.

When she was in the hospital they checked her ears for mites and did not find any.

Her claws are trimmed for sure. I'm careful about that. I was thinking about nail caps, too. Thanks for your answer.

Vomiting and diarrhea are not really signs of food allergy, they are signs of food intolerance. Allergies, in cats, usually present as itching.

It's terrific that you have her on a wet only diet! I am currently struggling with a cat with itchy ears too, though not nearly as severe as your girl. I am working on an elimination diet with her to find out if any of her foods are part of the problem. It's slow going, but I don't have the issue with her not liking certain foods. She's raw fed, so I am simply eliminating one protein at a time to see if there is any difference in her symptoms. It's a very slow process because you do have to give at least six weeks after stopping any one given food.

HER issue is she rolls in the litter box getting dirty litter dust and all sorts in her ears. I suspect that is her only problem, but I need to be sure it isn't one of her proteins.

I had to change litter about a year ago, so I am wondering about the litter too. How about you, have you thought of, or already tried, changing the litter?

Old 02-04-2020, 10:15 PM

Rene S, I don't even know if we have a holistic vet around here. My guess is it wouldn't be that close to us, and Katie is not great in the car. It might be a good idea, though. I really feel like regular vets only know how to deal with really simple stuff like broken bones. In this case though I am working with a dermatologist and cardiologist.

Catsmom21, you are so brave to do an elimination diet. That is a LOT of work. Congratulations too on the raw diet. I would love to know if you find out what your kitty is allergic to that way.

I've never thought of changing the litter. Would it really affect something as high up as the ears?

Right now we are dialing back the intensity of the allergy shots to see if that helps. Also the derm recommended some creams that may help with the itching.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
Rene S, I don't even know if we have a holistic vet around here. My guess is it wouldn't be that close to us, and Katie is not great in the car. It might be a good idea, though. I really feel like regular vets only know how to deal with really simple stuff like broken bones. In this case though I am working with a dermatologist and cardiologist.

Catsmom21, you are so brave to do an elimination diet. That is a LOT of work. Congratulations too on the raw diet. I would love to know if you find out what your kitty is allergic to that way.

I've never thought of changing the litter. Would it really affect something as high up as the ears?

Right now we are dialing back the intensity of the allergy shots to see if that helps. Also the derm recommended some creams that may help with the itching.

According to my vet, the ears are a common place for allergies, food or environmental, to show up. As for litter...yes, it can get everywhere. Litter is dusty so when they dig it floats around and settles on them (even if they don't roll in it!) Also once it is on their feet, between the toes...then they scratch the ears.....

Each time the itchiness comes back for now, I am using Zymox OTC drops while I work on the elimination diet. Also recommended by my vet.

I hope in my case it does not turn out to be the litter. When the litter I've been using for years was discontinued I had a heck of a time finding something acceptable to both them and me to replace it. I don't actually care for this litter much either, it turns to concrete and breaks into pieces when I chisel it out, but the cats have accepted it.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:48 PM

294 posts, read 180,425 times
We have a similar issue since we got her. Itchy ears. She was on drops once a day, they didn’t do much. We are now on the twice a day ones. After day 12, we gave once a day. We can go fir a week without, then she starts itching again. Vet doesn’t think foot related, but we cut chicken as I was told chicken can irritate allergies. I will follow this threat in case someone has a great idea :-) We are on walnut litter by the way.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 PM

Catsmom, good point about the litter. I never thought of that! Good luck with the drops. Katie's dermatologist has recommended Atop 7 Hydra Cream, which I just ordered and will try. Katie just had a weaker allergy shot tonight, so let's hope she doesn't respond negatively to it.

Jackiemohro, did you ever get an allergy test done to see if there's something in the house she's allergic to? Maybe it's something easy to get rid of in your house. I've never heard of walnut litter but that sounds pretty safe. Good luck to you.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:48 PM

294 posts, read 180,425 times
We ordered some homeopathic allergy pills on amazon. We give the max plus some more. I believe that a lot helps a lot ;-) we are on day three and I have to say, I think she is less itchy. We were most of the day at home and she seemed much better. Let’s see, but I am very hopeful right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats