Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 05:16 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,528,944 times

Advertisements

Well, both our indoor & our outdoor feral seem disinterested of late in & Stella & Chewy's Selects - both chicken & turkey. Also even the Organix Organic cans of chicken, turkey or chicken/liver combo fall into disfavor. They eat a few bites but quit.

Not good. So, Primal & Nature's Variety, I think, are avail at my local feed store. I can't use Savage cat food brand tho for some reason I was told due to my specific cats' health conditions.

I know these have bone in them, thus high phosphorus but anything else that isn't high in phosphorous? I can't seem find any raw that is low other than RadCat awhile ago -- now gone.

Ok, Hare today, EZ Complete & Alnutrin I can't rely upon -- due to me being the prep/feeder person & thus I need the BEST commercial raw that I can spoon into bowls knowing they did the work fixing up the ingredients designed for cats.

TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 05:22 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,405,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, since we're talking anecdotally, if I fed ferals on my property without taking responsibility for their health care and general safety, I'd have a yard full of diseased wolf bait, so I guess it's different for everyone.

I'm not sure that creating feral cat colonies by feeding from your porch helps anyone in the long run.
I haven't created any colonies. I do what I can. I've adopted two and taken a 3rd in for vet care when he was ill. There is a middle ground between doing nothing and everything.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:11 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
Is there a term more typically used for people who sustain semi-wild cats than "parent"?

I know feral cat populations are subject of a lot of controversy, good people on both sides of the argument, but it seems there must be a more usual name for those who feed ferals than "parents".

Old 02-07-2020, 07:12 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,405,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Is there a term more typically used for people who sustain semi-wild cats than "parent"?

I know feral cat populations are subject of a lot of controversy, good people on both sides of the argument, but it seems there must be a more usual name for those who feed ferals than "parents".
Caretaker.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:13 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Caretaker.
Yes. I think I've seen that.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,528,944 times
TY for whoever mod moved this to a new thread! It may help alot of folks on here in my situation.

TY again & let's get raw 'species biologically appropriate' food into these -- badly in need of good top shelf nutrition -- ferals that are hungry, tired & scared/cold.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:51 PM

17,262 posts, read 11,078,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Well, both our indoor & our outdoor feral seem disinterested of late in & Stella & Chewy's Selects - both chicken & turkey. Also even the Organix Organic cans of chicken, turkey or chicken/liver combo fall into disfavor. They eat a few bites but quit.

Not good. So, Primal & Nature's Variety, I think, are avail at my local feed store. I can't use Savage cat food brand tho for some reason I was told due to my specific cats' health conditions.

I know these have bone in them, thus high phosphorus but anything else that isn't high in phosphorous? I can't seem find any raw that is low other than RadCat awhile ago -- now gone.

Ok, Hare today, EZ Complete & Alnutrin I can't rely upon -- due to me being the prep/feeder person & thus I need the BEST commercial raw that I can spoon into bowls knowing they did the work fixing up the ingredients designed for cats.

TY
Sorry but I'm confused. Are these feral cats you're feeding or neighborhood cats that come around your house from other homes?
I've been around feral cats for many years. Never, not once in my life have I seen a feral cat turn down food because they could afford to be picky. You must be way overfeeding to the point that they've lost interest in food like a spoiled house cat that has more food available than they could possibly eat. These cats now are basically your pets and not feral. I'm not saying that as a bad thing but as a reality check.

Last edited by marino760; 02-07-2020 at 10:05 PM..

Old 02-08-2020, 04:25 AM

638 posts, read 982,631 times
Quote:
I haven't created any colonies. I do what I can. I've adopted two and taken a 3rd in for vet care when he was ill. There is a middle ground between doing nothing and everything.
Amen to the middle ground, balance and common sense!

Old 02-08-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Sorry but I'm confused. Are these feral cats you're feeding or neighborhood cats that come around your house from other homes?
I've been around feral cats for many years. Never, not once in my life have I seen a feral cat turn down food because they could afford to be picky. You must be way overfeeding to the point that they've lost interest in food like a spoiled house cat that has more food available than they could possibly eat. These cats now are basically your pets and not feral. I'm not saying that as a bad thing but as a reality check.
Ours have never been picky....they appreciate anything and everything!

Old 02-08-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Caretaker.
Exactly! Because you care. You're not a parent unless they belong to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats