Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 11:58 AM

21 posts, read 10,778 times

Advertisements

Scooterpie, my daughter’s 12-yr old male cat, was at the vet for his annual checkup 3 days ago. My daughter was told he has a heart murmur, between 3-4 (out of 6). Vet said this after listening through stethoscope. When my daughter asked what she should do, vet said she should take Scooterpie for an ultrasound. She also said coughing is a “bad sign”. Scooterpie is a long-haired cat and coughs up hair balls with a bit of frequency. So now every time he coughs, my daughter gets upset.

Now, this vet is part of the same vet practice Scooterpie has been seeing for years, and this doctor said she was “surprised that the doctor who saw him last year didn’t pickup a heart murmur.”

Scooterpie and his brother S’Nick (Snickerdoodle) have been her babies since she was 12, and she is understandably beside herself. I want so much to help, but I’ve never had a cat diagnosed with a heart murmur. Everything I’ve read about feline heart murmurs is so terribly dire! Has anyone had any experience or have info I could pass on to my baby so she can do everything she can to help her baby?
Attached Thumbnails
Cat with Heart Murmur - Looking for Info-70396348-50d4-4d4b-88a3-6652e3016310.jpeg  

Last edited by LolaNJ; 02-21-2020 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 01:08 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
Hello,

We have an old (19) guy who's had a heart murmur for many years. For a long time, it ranged between a 2-3. I can't remember what age the vet first discovered it, but my guess is around age 10. Because it was stable and Benny had no symptoms, we opted to just monitor it.

At his last check up (December 2019), the vet noticed it was slightly worse, maybe a 3-3.5. Given his advanced age, we are "treating" it with 1/4 baby aspirin twice per week (to thin his blood, of course there's no cure).

Why is the vet suggesting an ultrasound? Does Scooterpie have any symptoms--coughing, panting, shortness of breath? How is his blood work and overall health? How often does he go to the vet for check ups?

This isn't necessarily a cause to panic. I would be asking the regular vet more questions first. It could be something you bring him back in regularly and monitor.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:09 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I had a cat w/ a heart murmur, older cat, but she was asymptomatic. They just noted it. It's probably not unusual for older cats. Maybe meds and a diet change would help. I think each vet has different opinions most likely. I'd get a second opinion.

Coughing means the heart is weaker and some backup of fluid into the lung, most likely. People live w/ weaker hearts, too, but do can okay. I hope the kitty remains stable and happy for much more time.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:31 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
We had a cat with a heart murmur, but it didn't stop her from living a normal cat life. She died of something else, try not to worry about it.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:41 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
I've had no experience with feline heart murmurs, but I had a Yorkie with one, which was diagnosed as congestive heart failure ( he had a leaking heart valve). I treated him for 3 years with a diuretic and another med to strengthen his heart (don't recall what it was). He was nearly 13 when he passed.
Your cat may, or may not have CHF, but that may be why an ultrasound was suggested... to check for it. Not trying to scare you, but it may be wise to do so. My Yorkie had a good quality of life up to the last 3 months or so, so CHF can be treated in some cases.
In the mean time, try brushing Scooterpie more often to reduce the hairball issue & coughing. One final note, My Yorkie had a cough initially and that's what led to him going to the vet and finding the heart murmur. After he was on the meds to keep the fluids off, his coughing pretty much went away until the very end.
I hope you can get a firm diagnosis for Scooterpie. Try another vet if you have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats