Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,766 times

Advertisements

I took my old cat with kidney disease to the vet for euthanasia last week. Original plan was to do a home euthanasia but corona virus thing was in the way. This was my first experience with euthanasia. In addition to guilt for "killing" my cat, I am questioning if the vet used any sedatives. Can someone please help me? This is what took place;

One of the vet techs took us to a room. I had brought my cat's favorite blanket with me, but she said that they were not allowed to take patient's stuff to the back room due to coronavirus. She used one very thick blanket to wrap my cat and took him to the back for IV catheter. She brought him back and I help him on my laps (the blanket stunk badly.) The blanket was so thick that I couldn't feel my cat - but his head was out. I was able to touch his head while waiting for the vet for about 20 minutes. My cat seemed alert and I rubbed his head and told him how much I loved him. I wish I had insisted to hold him differently.

My regular vet wasn't there but a substitute vet came in with several syringes and asked if I was ready. I thought she was going to give him some sort of sedative so he would be draggy before the final injection. But that's not what happened. I was scared to watch what the vet was doing, but did see the vet injecting some sort of pink liquid into the IV. Within a minute or two, the vest listened to cat's heart and said that my cat was gone. I was startled because that's not what I had expected. The vet was in the room for no more than 5 minutes total.

I've been googling to find out how euthanasia happens with or without using sedatives. I am so heartbroken. I feel sick to my stomach. Could someone please tell me whether they might have used sedatives? What is TRT Euthanasia? That's what i see on the bill.

I had considered to keep him home and let him die naturally. but his kidney was failing badly and I didn't want him to suffer. I was also worried what would happen to him if I caught corona virus. So I chose to take him to the vet. I wanted him to have gentle procedure. But I think he might have suffered. I can't sleep or eat, and I am just heartbroken. Did my baby kitty suffer? He was completely alert when the vet started the pink liquid. I want to know the truth please. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 08:39 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved cat. It sounds like he went very peacefully, in your arms, feeling loved and safe the whole time.

Since you didn't watch, it's difficult to know really what happened but it doesn't sound like your precious boy suffered at all during the process. You didn't "kill" your cat, you gave him that final act of love, the greatest kindness, an easy gentle way out to prevent suffering.

It was a brave and loving thing you did. You put him first right to the very end. Please be gentle with yourself, you have had a very great loss.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:55 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I realize I didn't answer your questions. It's possible, even likely, he was given the sedative shot when they took him from you to insert the catheter port. This often causes the cat's bladder and/or bowels to evacuate. Which is why maybe they wrapped him in a thick towel, and that may be why you smelled a bad smell.

I believe it is fairly common practice to give this sedative shot "in the back" and then bring the cat back to the human, because of that possibility. My vet doesn't do this, because I've been through it enough times to know to ask and insist it be done right there with me. And usually the cat does evacuate after the shot.

It's a shame you weren't given more time with the vet to ask your questions, or to have things explained better to you. However, all your feelings of guilt and loss and worry are perfectly normal. You will feel better than this, but it may take some time.

Allow yourself to grieve. Do you live alone?

Old 04-12-2020, 01:34 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Your cat died in your arms quickly and with no reaction you could discern. It was a good death. Please stop torturing yourself for no reason. There is enough to stress anyone out in everyday life these days. Reading your post, I can literally feel your anxiety ramping up. And there is no reason for it.

Your cat was old, with a disease that would have increased his discomfort had you opted to let him die at home. It does not sound like he was distressed at all. You are heartbroken over your loss, but please concentrate on the fact that pets inevitably die before we do. Our job as an owner is to give them a good life while they are alive - food, shelter, affection and stimulation. We are their worlds. You clearly loved your cat and wanted to do what was best for him, and in the end you refused to let him suffer. Well done.

Grieve. Honor your loss. And when you are ready, please consider taking in another kitty, not as a replacement for your previous kitty, but as a wanted companion.

Hugs to you in your time of sorrow.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:01 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
So sad for you that your kitty is gone.

Bizzie had kidney disease. We debated over and over, take her home or end it at the vet's. She'd been in the vet's office over the weekend but he said she was just getting worse, not better, despite fluids and whatever else they gave her.

Now, having read what I've read about kidney disease, I wish we'd taken her home to die quietly and in familiar surroundings. Who wants to die in a hospital? But the vet delivered the coup de grace, he said the first injection would burn a little, briefly. She was gone in a minute or two.

Our previous redhead, also a girl kitty, died at home of kidney disease. She passed early in the morning, I'd visited her about 3 or 4, and when I got up again about 6 she was gone. I wish I'd been there to hold her. She was very weak. These were the most wonderful kitties.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:34 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Euthanizing your pet is a sad experience. But, trust me watching your sick kitty die at home can be even harder. After putting my beloved 17 year old to sleep, I wondered if it wouldn't be better to have let him die at home. When my next cat got sick, the vet seemed to be charging a lot of money for tests and diagnoses without helping the cat. As he got sicker, I decided to let him die at home. It was much more difficult than euthanasia for both myself and for the cat.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:31 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
I am very very sorry for the loss of your dear kitty. Again, these threads devastate the WHOLE community on this forum I'm sure.

I know back in '08 the feeling of renal failure. We took him in and they gave him the injection and we held him as he kicked his last kick. My g/f thought he was still alive but vet said, no that was a reflex and he has passed. I could not drive home from the vet for a long while til I composed myself. My g/f even said in all yrs she knew me that never did she see me this upset, even after seeing both my parents die.

A kitty is unconditional love given by them and we take for granted this love. I never again have taken for granted the privilege I have in caring for a cat. I hope you find peace and know he DOES await you at Rainbow Bridge with ALL of our lost kitty souls.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:22 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iasa View Post
I took my old cat with kidney disease to the vet for euthanasia last week. Original plan was to do a home euthanasia but corona virus thing was in the way. This was my first experience with euthanasia. In addition to guilt for "killing" my cat, I am questioning if the vet used any sedatives. Can someone please help me? This is what took place;

One of the vet techs took us to a room. I had brought my cat's favorite blanket with me, but she said that they were not allowed to take patient's stuff to the back room due to coronavirus. She used one very thick blanket to wrap my cat and took him to the back for IV catheter. She brought him back and I help him on my laps (the blanket stunk badly.) The blanket was so thick that I couldn't feel my cat - but his head was out. I was able to touch his head while waiting for the vet for about 20 minutes. My cat seemed alert and I rubbed his head and told him how much I loved him. I wish I had insisted to hold him differently.

My regular vet wasn't there but a substitute vet came in with several syringes and asked if I was ready. I thought she was going to give him some sort of sedative so he would be draggy before the final injection. But that's not what happened. I was scared to watch what the vet was doing, but did see the vet injecting some sort of pink liquid into the IV. Within a minute or two, the vest listened to cat's heart and said that my cat was gone. I was startled because that's not what I had expected. The vet was in the room for no more than 5 minutes total.

I've been googling to find out how euthanasia happens with or without using sedatives. I am so heartbroken. I feel sick to my stomach. Could someone please tell me whether they might have used sedatives? What is TRT Euthanasia? That's what i see on the bill.

I had considered to keep him home and let him die naturally. but his kidney was failing badly and I didn't want him to suffer. I was also worried what would happen to him if I caught corona virus. So I chose to take him to the vet. I wanted him to have gentle procedure. But I think he might have suffered. I can't sleep or eat, and I am just heartbroken. Did my baby kitty suffer? He was completely alert when the vet started the pink liquid. I want to know the truth please. Thank you.

Any of us, who love our pets like you do, knows your pain and the questions you are asking yourself. Just know that the people who helped your beloved kitty cross that bridge care about them and do it in a very professional, loving way.

I have only been strong enough to be with one of our pets when that final time came, I could not stand watching them pass. But when my son's cat was put to sleep, I had to be there for him, and I stayed with him and Chewy. We cried, hugged each other, and sobbed all the way home, but we knew it was time, and we had to do it for Chewy to get him out of his pain.

Time will help you heal, you will never forget your little buddy, but time does help ease some of the pain. Good luck and just take comfort in the fact that you gave this little guy a wonderful life and a lot of love. And your little buddy felt no pain at the end, the drugs they administer are a sedative that relaxes them and they feel nothing at all.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:41 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
The hardest thing I've ever had to do was put my then-all time favorite cat to sleep. One of my sisters and I wen to a vet to do it. I was the last thing she ever saw. So I know how you feel.

Yes, when I did this it was pretty quick. Just a few minutes. She was also suffering from kidney disease.

Time will help the grief. (((hugs)))

Old 04-15-2020, 01:26 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Having to make that ultimate decision is never easy. I know-been there, done that. You were with him. He knew you were there and that you love him. Unfortunately, I wasn't with my furbaby when I had to make that decision.

I think the hardest part of making that decision is the second guessing yourself. "Did I do the right thing?" "Could I have done this?" "Should I have don't that?" As hard as it may seem now, you have to keep telling yourself that you did do the right thing. You made the right decision. Your furbaby is no longer is pain and will not suffer anymore. He was loved until he crossed the Rainbow Bridge and is STILL loved-will ALWAYS be loved.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))) ))))

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats