Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:43 PM

39 posts, read 193,713 times

Advertisements

Thank you Hurrah, Bones pm' d me earlier today with the info and I really appreciate that you both took the time!

What a great group!

Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 12:29 AM

68 posts, read 203,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvRedSox View Post
Thank you Hurrah, Bones pm' d me earlier today with the info and I really appreciate that you both took the time!

What a great group!

Diana

Glad to be of help. I'm a newbie here too and had just found the information on reputations as well.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:06 PM

188 posts, read 548,633 times
I'm not sure if my cat is a huge water fan, or if she is just picky about the type of water. It used to be that she would only drink out of a particular glass dish. Now she only likes running water, so I bought her a fountain type feeder that she seems to like.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 AM

39 posts, read 193,713 times
Greybear,

We have the fountain type too.

You must make sure you are very meticulous in keeping it clean. Make sure to replace the filter regularly and to use the brushes, (like miniature bottle brushes), to clean all of the parts including the pump.

Here in Riverside County with our water and heat we get what is called an "algae bloom" every once in awhile and it will even turn the standing water in a toilet pink. If any of it starts growing within the fountain....well your kitties will get diarrea or worse.

Just giving you a heads up!

Diana

Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
My cat drinks a moderate amount of water and loves it from the sink and the bathtub faucet. They like fresh, flowing water.

Unless it's diabetes, it's not a bad problem to have. The good news is that he's drinking. Many cats don't drink enough water and that becomes an issue.

I just wish I could find a water dish that kept water flowing, without having to plug it in or keep it going with batteries. I get nervous about leaving a water dish plugged in all the time! (And having to spend $40 - $60 on one!) Water and electricity aren't good friends.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,712 times
Yes, I own two cats of that breed. My vet said both were very healthy, just apparently thirsty.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Another brand of dry food that has no grains is Blue Buffalo. That's what our cats eat, because while they also get canned food, they rarely eat it. But I keep plugging away at them. I mix the canned food with a can of water, and they at least lick the water off the food (which our vet said was better than nothing). If they accidentally get a mouthful of chicken or turkey, so much the better! We also keep water dishes in the bathroom, in the kitchen, and next to their food in the basement.

My childhood cat drank out of the toilet. She lived a long, healthy life despite it. Knowing our cats, though, they'd fall in.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,846 times
Default Thirsty cat

We have a 7-8 month old male cat. He came to live with us last Sept. Along with his sister. He is thirsty 80% of the time. Sleeps the other 20%. He cries and begs to have the faucet turned on so he can lick the water. He will lick for 5 minutes or more at a time, somtime to ther point of choking. He also has access to 2 water bowls that he also uses. He will jump up in the sick as soon as I turn on the water. He will drink from any dishes that are left in the sink that has water in it. I brought him a "Drinkwell" fountain and he loves it. I don't have a problem with this behavior, but he has to stop peeing on the carpet when he knows of and uses the litter box. He pees huge amounts. He has had blood and urine tests with results all normal. I am at my wits end. I have tried all that has been suggested to me to brake this awful habit of not using the box. Does anyone have a solution?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vendy3 View Post
We have a 7-8 month old male cat. He came to live with us last Sept. Along with his sister. He is thirsty 80% of the time. Sleeps the other 20%. He cries and begs to have the faucet turned on so he can lick the water. He will lick for 5 minutes or more at a time, somtime to ther point of choking. He also has access to 2 water bowls that he also uses. He will jump up in the sick as soon as I turn on the water. He will drink from any dishes that are left in the sink that has water in it. I brought him a "Drinkwell" fountain and he loves it. I don't have a problem with this behavior, but he has to stop peeing on the carpet when he knows of and uses the litter box. He pees huge amounts. He has had blood and urine tests with results all normal. I am at my wits end. I have tried all that has been suggested to me to brake this awful habit of not using the box. Does anyone have a solution?
Is the box cleaned every day?
Have you changed litter recently?
Is the box located away from the main traffic in your home in a quiet area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats