Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 06:21 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieOChutt View Post
Hi! Have your kittens gron ? I feed mine with boiled chicken meat and rice, and little bit of yogurt. I am not sure does that satisfy their nutritional need. Maybe they need to be dewormed...they are still quite skinny. But they do have a healthy appetite and i feed the 5 times a day at least

This is not a balanced diet for kittens (or adult cats) and your kittens will not grow properly or thrive. Kittens need meat and organs and calcium and many other things in their diet. Go to the store and buy cans of balanced cat food and feed your kittens properly. They cannot thrive on this diet and will probably die of mal-nutrition if you don't take action soon. Their bones will not grow properly and they most likely feel very sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 06:30 AM

31 posts, read 12,477 times
They are growing so much! It’s incredible. They’re going to be big cats! Love it!

I switched them to regular kitten food as they got older and they gobble it up! They’re doing really well.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:21 AM

638 posts, read 993,554 times
There has always and will forever be controversial and different opinions over wet and dry food among veterinarians and pet parents. I have found the best thing to do is give them both wet and dry if they will eat it. Every pet is different just like we are in what they like and enjoy eating the most. You have to give them what they will eat and as long as it's a good quality food suited for their age group and they are growing and thriving, that is good enough. Just use your own common sense and judgement and you and your "furkids" will be happy and healthy.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:53 AM

31 posts, read 12,477 times
Thank you! Yes, I give them both wet and dry food and they’re doing really well!

Old 08-12-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
There has always and will forever be controversial and different opinions over wet and dry food among veterinarians and pet parents.

Trouble with that is, it is fact, not opinion, that cats are strict obligate carnivores. It is also fact that any living thing will do far better when fueled by what it is meant to be fueled with. Cats will thrive on a diet high in moisture, from meat based ingredients. They do not thrive on kibble. They can survive, certainly. Thrive, no. Until you get rid of the kibble, you won't understand the difference.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:12 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
My vet is highly against diets too high in protein. . . Too much of anything can be a problem.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:49 AM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieOChutt View Post
Hi! Have your kittens gron ? I feed mine with boiled chicken meat and rice, and little bit of yogurt. I am not sure does that satisfy their nutritional need. Maybe they need to be dewormed...they are still quite skinny. But they do have a healthy appetite and i feed the 5 times a day at least
That's not a good diet.

First of all, if you insist on giving your cat chicken, do not cook it at all. Chop it up into small pieces and let them eat it raw.

Dump the rice and yogurt altogether.

You really should be giving them a grain-free wet cat food.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
My vet is highly against diets too high in protein. . . Too much of anything can be a problem.

Your vet apparently is uneducated about the protein requirements of strict obligate carnivores. They are designed to thrive on a diet high in protein derived from meat. Most commercial processed pet diets are too low in protein for a cat, not to mention much, if not all, of the protein is often sourced from grains and other plant matter, which leaves the cat even more protein deficient, since their bodies can't properly or efficiently digest and process protein sourced from plant matter.

A mouse is about 63% protein on a dry matter basis (DMB). .05% carbs. 21% fat. And of course the all important 70% moisture.

Compare that, the cat's perfect food, to a bag of kibble. 10% moisture or less. Usually around 36% protein on a dry matter basis (DMB) but of course most of that protein will come from corn or other grains. Carbs are usually between 30-40% (or higher) on a dry matter basis.

Last edited by catsmom21; 08-13-2020 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-14-2020, 03:33 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Think of it this way... would you agree with your vet if s/he said the same of snakes? No. No one would.
Snakes are obligate carnivores. Cats are strict obligate carnivores. Meat eaters.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:45 AM

144 posts, read 81,026 times
Hi, I think that wet food is good for them, also usually for the kittens I would buy some dry food "for kittens", adult food is not as good as the kittens one for them. They need to eat a lot and sleep a lot too, they will grow a lot now and they need as much food as possible: try to give them some wet food at first, then leave the dry in the bowls in case they want more. And let them eat at least 5 times a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats