Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 11:02 AM

672 posts, read 5,811,004 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone can offer advice.

We have a 12 year old cat, and 10 months ago adopted a kitten because our 17 year old cat had recently died, and we always have had two cats. Both our cats are males, both neutered. Kitten is now 10 months old.

The kitten was well-socialized, had 5 siblings, a mother and a father cat that raised him, and came to us at 14 weeks old. Everything was fine and we introduced the two of them properly. The older cat seemed fine with the kitten. There were no issues. They weren't friends but tolerated each other.

There have been no litter box issues or any other issues.

When the kitten was about 3 months old our 12 year old cat got ill with an illness for a few days, but fully recovered. This is when things started to go downhill.

I believe it was when the older cat got sick that the kitten started to believe he was the alpha cat and started acting aggressively toward the older cat.

Ever since then (the last 6 months) the kitten acts aggressively toward the older cat in a few ways:

1. Constantly pounces on him, jumps on his back, and chases him around the house. Older cat jumps to the highest spot to escape the kitten but older cat never fights back, mainly runs away. The older cat hisses and growls but never really fights back.

2. If kitten sees older cat sitting on me or being petted, kitten attacks older cat out of jealousy, and then takes his spot.

3. Kitten claims all the best spots for himself, and tries to scare older cat away (they fight over the cat tree, for example).

How can we make things better? I feel like our household is so much more stressful now that we adopted this kitten. Our older cat is not very happy. The two of them just tolerate each other. What should we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 04:19 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
You must intervene immediately every single time the kitten harasses your elder cat. It's not really about being 'alpha', but it's not uncommon for another cat to start picking on one that is unwell.

I have something similar here in my house. All is well until my 16 year old has a flare of arthritis or her IBD, any time she is not feeling her best, the younger cat (now 10 years old) turns into a bully.

I saw it with my cat who I lost to cancer last year as well. That cat was always 'top cat' to the 10 year old, but when she got cancer and was feeling very poorly, the younger cat would turn bully. In fact, the bullying was sometimes the first sign I would realize that cancer kitty was having a bad day.

I always intervene and either distract the younger cat with play, or if she won't be distracted (some times she will sometimes not) I simply lift the older cat out of the situation. While I am doing this I am saying "no, you must stop harassing her" and why.

I am in the habit of speaking to them and explaining things to them, and I am constantly telling her she "has to be gentle" with the other cat. Sometimes all it takes is my voice, I don't know if it is the tone or the words, but a reminder that she needs to be gentle will result in her ..well being gentle, or simply stopping the bullying.

The stress as you may already know is very bad for your senior cat. I would get some rescue remedy for pets and dose them both, and observe their reactions. It may help settle things down, it may help reduce the senior cat's stress enough that the younger cat will stop sensing it, and leave him alone more.

Another story, same two cats, I had a very stressful few weeks last fall, well pump died, plumbers in the house half the night, no water...., and there was an IBD flare and a skirmish and all heck broke loose for days. My elder cat was miserable, as was I. I finally started the rescue remedy for the senior cat (it doesn't seem to have any effect on the younger so no point in using it) and I kept them separated whenever I was not home to supervise.

This allowed the older cat some peace, and prevented th younger cat from practicing these behaviors, and getting even more riled up. After about a week of the separations, and reduced stress all around, things got back to normal.

It will be an on going effort on your part to rescue and reassure the elder, while redirecting and training the younger.

Lots and lots and lots of interactive play for the younger cat, (but be sure the older cat gets his share too!) and if it is possible you might consider some periods of separation.

Incidentally, diet is very important too. Cats fed a good quality high moisture low carb diet (meaning no kibble) are, generally speaking more relaxed and amenable because they just feel better.

So if your cats aren't on a wet diet, I urge you to start transitioning them now. Look for foods with low carbs (no grains or sugar added) and high meat content.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:25 PM

Also..cats are very territorial so you want to make sure you have adequate resources. Add more perching places (clear off a book case, put shelves on the wall). Have at least three litter boxes. If possible add a fourth, and have them in different parts of the house so younger cat can't block older cat from getting to the box.

Never ever feed them next to each other, cats should always each have their own meal spot. If senior cat has always eaten in the same place it might be stressful for him to change, so change the younger cat's spot, I'd give him an elevated place for his meals, preferably somewhere the older cat isn't even in his line of vision.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:22 AM

2,973 posts, read 3,868,588 times
ITA with all of catsmom's advice. I wanted to add that you might consider adding a couple of Feliway diffusers, especially one near where your older cat sleeps/rests, to calm her. You can also buy "calming collars." I haven't used one on our cats but know people who swear by them.

Also, make sure the litter boxes are spaced out so the kitten can't prevent your older cat from using one. Then you'll have another sort of problem.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:57 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,719,393 times
I'll probably be fussed at but here goes.

Have a water bottle ready with the nozzle set to a jet stream. When the kitten attacks the older cat, hide and quickly squirt the kitten. The trick here is to not let the kitten know that you were the one squirting the water. It will associate the surprise water as unpleasant and think that the older cat did it.

This is something I would try after trying the other suggestions. As a last resort, you could re-home the kitten. The health and security of the senior cat should take priority.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:55 AM

5,457 posts, read 3,330,089 times
It is natural for kittens to play rough. Its done nothing wrong really. They cant help it. The old cat is not too terribly old it can't defend itself. Oldie will dowhat it wants to when its time.
Until then let nature happen It is not threatending the life of either cat. It's you that is upset. If you want some time out putl the old cat in the spare room and tell him why so he knows he is not being punished.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I'll probably be fussed at but here goes.

Have a water bottle ready with the nozzle set to a jet stream. When the kitten attacks the older cat, hide and quickly squirt the kitten. The trick here is to not let the kitten know that you were the one squirting the water. It will associate the surprise water as unpleasant and think that the older cat did it.

This is something I would try after trying the other suggestions. As a last resort, you could re-home the kitten. The health and security of the senior cat should take priority.

Spraying water at a cat does not teach the cat anything. You assume kittens are stupid, they aren't. A ten month old kitten will know the human sprayed the water, but will not know why, it will simply add more stress to the situation.

(and, in the event the kitten might think the water came from the other cat, is far more likely to make the kitten become more hostile to the other cat)

It is much more effective to actually train an animal to positive behaviors, than punish. Kitten is acting is a perfectly normal way for him.

Whether he is going after the senior cat because he senses vulnerability or because he just wants to play, spraying him isn't going to teach him anything except possibly to avoid the mean human.

A little effort, using positive training and redirection of behavior, replacing the undesirable behavior with an acceptable outlet, is long lasting and creates a much happier household with less stress for everyone, in the long term.

Treat animals with respect.

Last edited by catsmom21; 06-19-2020 at 06:02 AM..

Old 06-19-2020, 06:16 AM

My posts, both the first ones, with the examples stated, and the one just above, which I also have an example to support it, are based on direct experience..

Many many MANY years ago I used to think water bottles were effective training methods for cats. I had an elderly cat and a young cat (even before the other cats already mentioned) who , once the cat developed health problems, began harassing her constantly.

I was using that spray bottle method. It didn't work. The younger cat continued to harass the older, and simply started running away from me, when I picked up the bottle. That was the beginning of my realization that cats are sentient cognizant beings and there are better ways to train and live with them.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:33 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,489,393 times
Have you considered adding another kitten? I have 3 cats and it has worked out very well. I can't tell from the post if your kitten is just engaging in "rough play" or has a "bully" personality. If the former a new kitten will distract your kitten and they should play together and leave the older cat alone. He may even enjoy watching the other two play. 12 years old is getting up there and he may just not want to play. You will have years of high activity with the younger one. Not sure if new behavior is related to your older cat getting sick. Kittens tend to play rougher and get more territorial past 6 months anyway.

I have a mother/daughter rescue pair age 4 and 3 and added a female kitten a little over a year ago. The mother can play rough. Adding the kitten gave the daughter a playmate closer to her age and they get along great. Rolling on the floor, chasing each other through the house, etc. The mother engages occasionally. She would rather curl up and be petted. So the dynamic with 3 has worked well for me. No hostility at all between them and new kitten is an adult now.

Sorry to suggest this if it's completely out of the question. Other suggestions above may help (though I have never needed a spray bottle for any behavior). However another kitten could add permanent peace if playfulness is the issue. Other than a bit more of an expense, I don't feel 3 cats are much different to care for than 2. I have 2 cat trees side by side (you may want to add another even with 2) and I added another litter box. You could always foster a kitten temporarily to see if your kitten redirects focus on it. Good luck regardless!

Last edited by motownnative; 06-19-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats