Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 12:00 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

This has been gone over a dozen times or more. I know it's painful when the chip goes in, and I presume chips don't cause problems later. What's your take? We have four insiders and I'm trending toward yes for chipping them all.

We also have four outsiders we feed twice a day. The cat lady across the street has departed, their house has been sold but that's where the cats seem to hang out during the day--it's a bit of a wreck, in bad disrepair, it could pass for a Munsters set--and we've trapped and fixed the four over the past two years.
Thinking about catching them and getting them a rabies and perhaps distemper shot, and chipping them too. I need to bone up on local regulations.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 12:10 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Yes, our inside cats are chipped. The most recent one, got chipped while she was under, for her spaying, so I don't think she felt anything.

If you chip your outside gang, they will become yours. We do have a mooch that visits everyday for food, I think she's a stray, but she might also belong to some neighbor, far too friendly for a feral. I will not chip him/her.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:15 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
Our indoor kitty is chipped. I think chipping them is a good idea if you want to be contacted when they get lost/move along. Otherwise, there's really no point.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:16 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
My Luna is chipped-came that way. We didn't have the others done.

As for your outdoor cats, definitely get them the shots-especially if they are outdoor cats. As to having them chipped, it depends if you want to "claim" them. The chip helps if they wonder off and get lost.

Cat

Old 06-29-2020, 11:36 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
YES - my current "grrrlz" and the late great Weasie all got chipped early on. I'm glad somebody invented this form of ID, since collars with tags had a way of disappearing fast.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:39 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Yes, our four are all chipped. Five years ago, we had a (now departed) cat slip out of the house and go missing for 11 days. While I found him myself after that, it was a small comfort to know that he was chipped in case someone brought him to a shelter.

BTW, many shelters will insert a chip for a small fee.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:11 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Izzi is chipped. ChaCha has no intentions of going anywhere but to a food bowl. There is an annual fee for the chip.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:39 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
I have always chipped all my animals, even my indoor rabbits. The pain is momentary, and I've never heard of any complications such as infections, etc. And after working intake for a large Humane Society I can tell you it makes a huge difference. Even indoor cats....you never know what might happen. I was a victim of a break-in where the burglars left the back door wide open. Luckily my cats were so terrified by the whole experience they hid under the bed and were still there by the time I got there (the police called me). But they might not have, or if it hadn't been for a report by the neighborhood watch it might not have been discovered until after the cats got over the scare and ventured out.

One thing I would like to share from my experience at the Humane Society that I didn't know. The chips can migrate and sometimes even either leave the body or stop working. So every time I take my pets in for their check-ups I ask the vets to scan them to make sure their chips are still registering. At my Humane Society we would scan the whole body if the shoulders didn't yield anything, but I don't think that's common. There were several times we located a chip in a leg.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:50 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Izzi is chipped. ChaCha has no intentions of going anywhere but to a food bowl. There is an annual fee for the chip.
Thanks, one and all. We had a triple vet appointment yesterday for Molly, Punkin, and Inky. Inky is psychic and knew what was going on and took off. Molly and Punkin (birth name Pretty Girl) were SO good according to the techs. Molly sings and trills a lot, she has quite a vocabulary. She also does the shoulder ride quite well. That's what she was doing when we arrived at the shelter to pick her up, riding around the place on a lady's shoulder. Funny.

Pretty Girl is pretty serene and does well at the vet too. She's not quite the snuggler that Molly is, not a lap cat (yet) but likes to be close.

I didn't know there was an annual fee. Nobody ever mentioned it. Guess I'll have to sign in to see what it is.

So if you don't pay the fee what happens? You get erased from your vet's database?

We have a chip detector and I found both chips. I'll have to scan our outdoor/stray cats again, but I doubt any are chipped. The people at Humane Ohio said chipping isn't common in this area.

Thanks again, all. We love our kitties!

Old 06-30-2020, 02:57 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Still a good idea to get chacha chipped, you never know what will happen. A natural disaster could happen while you were out shopping & the cat may have to escape the house.

We have no annual fee, well if we do, we have not received any bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats