Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 06:28 AM

417 posts, read 815,907 times

Advertisements

I lost my sweet kitty in March. I swore I would not get another one for a long time. I still miss my baby.

I just moved to another city. I’m living in a 715-square foot apartment, as opposed to a 2,100 square foot house like I had been before. No view. I was looking forward to the independence of being able to take off for a long weekend whenever I wanted. And going on a vacation without worrying about whether the pet sitter was available. The biggest issue is also that I work full-time and I do have activities outside of the house, so I’m not around a whole lot. I get up for work, put in my time at work, return from work and then either walk or play tennis most evenings before settling in for the night. That doesn’t seem particularly fair for a cat. It was ok when I had two cats but when I lost one, I always felt bad because I knew my remaining one missed me. My plan was to work for two more years or so, then relocate to my preferred destination (another reason not to have pets: moving with cats is a bear) and THEN get a couple of dogs and cats to enjoy during early retirement.

But like an idiot, I wandered onto some pet rescue web sites. It was just to foster, but some of these foster applications are tougher than job applications! I don’t even think I’d get approved on them, mainly because I live in an apartment and because I’m new in town and they want local references. Not complaining, but it rules me out. So I made the mistake of looking at available adoptions. It’s heartbreaking to see how many pets need homes.

And I can’t get this 10 year-old female domestic long-hair out of my mind. I don’t need a pet. Life is fine, if not a bit lonely, with no cat. There’s an 11 year old female short hair at a nearby shelter as well. She looks so scared in her picture. I can’t imagine how hard it would be to get two senior female cats to tolerate each other in a 715-sf apartment. I don’t even know if the two cats get along with other pets. I don’t want to call and find out. There are no details listed on the pictures.

My head is telling me to stop this madness. It’s not good to get a cat then leave it alone all day. Wait the two years like you planned. Help me out here, tell me I’m right!!! Help me get these adoption thoughts out of my mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 06:46 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,390,232 times
I had a promise from my sister that she wouldn't adopt a new one when the last one died. She was planning on selling her condo and buying a home in another state to help my parents where they live (they're elderly and not especially healthy), and she really needed to wait until after that to anchor herself with a pet again.

A few days after she made her promise, she posted a photo of her THREE new cats.

And when I called her, she said she decided not to move for a few more years. She does this often. It's an excuse to NOT do things she needs to do. It creates resentment in the rest of us, who are now saddled with the responsibilities that she had volunteered to take on.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
I lost my sweet kitty in March. I swore I would not get another one for a long time. I still miss my baby.

I just moved to another city. I’m living in a 715-square foot apartment, as opposed to a 2,100 square foot house like I had been before. No view. I was looking forward to the independence of being able to take off for a long weekend whenever I wanted. And going on a vacation without worrying about whether the pet sitter was available. The biggest issue is also that I work full-time and I do have activities outside of the house, so I’m not around a whole lot. I get up for work, put in my time at work, return from work and then either walk or play tennis most evenings before settling in for the night. That doesn’t seem particularly fair for a cat. It was ok when I had two cats but when I lost one, I always felt bad because I knew my remaining one missed me. My plan was to work for two more years or so, then relocate to my preferred destination (another reason not to have pets: moving with cats is a bear) and THEN get a couple of dogs and cats to enjoy during early retirement.

But like an idiot, I wandered onto some pet rescue web sites. It was just to foster, but some of these foster applications are tougher than job applications! I don’t even think I’d get approved on them, mainly because I live in an apartment and because I’m new in town and they want local references. Not complaining, but it rules me out. So I made the mistake of looking at available adoptions. It’s heartbreaking to see how many pets need homes.

And I can’t get this 10 year-old female domestic long-hair out of my mind. I don’t need a pet. Life is fine, if not a bit lonely, with no cat. There’s an 11 year old female short hair at a nearby shelter as well. She looks so scared in her picture. I can’t imagine how hard it would be to get two senior female cats to tolerate each other in a 715-sf apartment. I don’t even know if the two cats get along with other pets. I don’t want to call and find out. There are no details listed on the pictures.

My head is telling me to stop this madness. It’s not good to get a cat then leave it alone all day. Wait the two years like you planned. Help me out here, tell me I’m right!!! Help me get these adoption thoughts out of my mind

Call and ask about the cats. Your busy lifestyle might just suit a senior cat who likes to just hang out. Talk to the rescues about their assessment of each cat and whether they think the cats prefer to be only cats or prefer another cat. Ask for their histories too. Why are they there? How long have they been there? How are they handling shelter life?

My plan when my current cats are gone (16 and 10) is to take a break and see how I like life without the kind of worry cats bring into my life. If I find I am missing kitty company I intend to adopt cats with special needs as in elderly cats or cats needing hospice type care. Cats that will not involve a long term commitment, in other words.

I am far too old for young cats now. I wouldn't want to risk leaving one behind when I kick off. Plus those nearing the end cats need a loving home too. And I can take a break in between before getting another.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:20 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I am no help, I say go for it.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:01 AM

219 posts, read 163,331 times
My cat lives in the bedroom. She's a bit afraid of the last springer I got (he barked at her once), so I haven't rushed trying to get them together. And she's a small cat so I worry about her. I do work from home, so I can go in and give her some attention. I think it would be far better, especially for an older cat, to have a loving home with some attention, than to live in a shelter.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:32 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I promised myself when I lost mine that I would do the same: go on a trip (ha, such timing) and then help needy cats. The problem is needy cats have no timing, either, so here I am. Cat people will have cats. And anyone who says they're too old for a cat should have an old cat with slim chance of finding a good home. Or several, they're not much trouble.

I also say get them both. I wish for the few cats I didn't adopt when they made an impression on me. Especially the big gray one....

Old 07-14-2020, 02:58 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
A friend of mine adopted 2 very old cats and it worked out. We rescue old dogs. I can’t be without 2.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:35 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
My cat sheds all over the place. She scratches the furniture. She's finicky about what she eats and won't drink water unless her fountain water bowl is cleaned daily. The dust from her litter box covers everything in the laundry room. She hides when it is time to go to vet. She ignores me when it is time to come in for the night.

I love that da*n cat like a relative. Go figure.

I know what you are going through. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:00 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
We are very mature so any new young cat may very possibly outlive us. Present guy is a 16 year old Maine Coon who we have had for 10 years. Likely my favorite cat of all time. If we should lose him we will try and replace him with a middle aged or even older Maine Coon. We are hooked on the breed at least for the mature.

We do not have any fears for the cat or the dog becoming homeless if we are no longer able. One of the three daughters will pick them up. All three are cat people including one who fosters in a big way. Had to get rid of one cat do to a conflict with the primary cat. Off to Portland in a month to live out his days with the youngest daughter. Only problem was she could not get him on the airline she came in on so we had to buy another ticket and a cat passage to send them on their way.

We have by the way moved cats a lot including one who did three relocations across the USA. No sweat. The one big advantage we had on the long move was we had a cat whisperer in one of the locations who bordered cats and was simply one of the better cat communicators we ever saw. Used to take 5 or 6 cats walking with him out on his back acreage. They would all line up and follow along with no restraints.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:33 PM

417 posts, read 815,907 times
Well, y’all are no help

It must be karma because work from home has been extended through early September. I have been working at the office because I’m new and didn’t have an office setup at my apartment but my boss said today that I could work from home if I wanted. I would have the ability to be around to help a cat adjust to its surroundings and not be alone for at least a couple of months.

So...I left a message inquiring about the 10 year-old long hair female. I’ve always had a soft spot for long-haired cats. My last baby (also a rescue, that’s all I’ve ever had except one time when my aunt bought me a Persian when I was a teenager, and that experience further convinced me that adoption is the only way to go) was a long-hair but was a rag doll mix and her fur didn’t mat. It was a dream.

Anyway, I didn’t get a call back, so I found an email address and inquired and the response I got was that the cat was still available, that “my name was on her list,” and that I’d probably get a call today or tomorrow. I know it’s difficult times with COVID and the shelters being closed, but I found that response really odd. This cat is a senior and has been at the shelter since early June. How could there be a “list” for her? You’d think that if somebody expressed interest in a 10 year-old cat when more than fifty are available, many of which are kittens, that they’d be calling me ASAP and practically begging me to take her. So I’m concerned. And this person didn’t even answer any of my questions about the cat’s personality, comfort level with other cats, need for space, etc.

I’m also starting to worry about stuff like whether she is mean, or pees on stuff, or has behavioral issues. I can deal with a cat that is aloof and doesn’t want me to pet her, but if she tries to bite or scratch me when I need to pick her up and take her to the vet, well, that would not be good. And I’d never return a cat to the shelter, no matter how miserable I was.

If the shelter doesn’t call me back, I’m not sure what I’ll do: take it as a sign it wasn’t supposed to happen, or be upset and keep pushing. Or call the other shelter that has the 11 year-old. If I’m going to do this, I would like two; I just think it’s good for the cats to have a companion if possible. But I don’t know whether senior cats can adjust to each other and not tear each other apart.

I can’t believe I’m contemplating this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats