Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times

Advertisements

my cat had dry food-and i was more into how to with a dog. got the kitten from the
aspca she had her dry food-she did drink water-saw dogs getting treats-she then had them also-batted ice cubes as a hockey player-drank water- if fact she loved water? if she could she would have gone into he shower-
she was real young and died-why-no clue-she had her vet checks-was an inside cat-never acted ill.! I still miss her-one dog had the kidney illness-and had a special diet she did live happy for 2 years more. it was dry food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
This is rubbish. Where did you get this wet food thing from?
I believe what ksgator stated is true. Cats are remarkable. I've met 18 year old cats that have been fed Friskies their whole lives. "Optimal" isn't always "essential."

Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
This is rubbish. I have owned several cats, none ate wet foood, one lived to 19 years of age w/NO wet cat food. If plenty of fresh water is left out they will drink it. Plus its better for their teeth and I believe they don't get so overweight. Where did you get this wet food thing from?
A food nutritionist, IOW, not a vet. The wet food we sell has less fat than the dry.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Goatwoodward, how did you make out today......

Old 05-02-2008, 06:40 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
My cat has had trouble urinating recently, so my vet's first impulse is to sedate her, x ray her bladder/kidneys, use a syringe to extract urine from her bladder for a urinalysis, then put her on an IV line to recoup fluids and flush bacteria introduced via the syringe. I made the appointment for Friday, but this seems a little extreme to me... Does anyone know if this is the usual diagnostic procedure for something that could be as simple as a UTI?
No, I don't think it's unreasonable at all. You're reading a post from someone who just spent $9,500 to save her dog, however. My dog had a perineal hernia. They fixed that and then discovered a hole in his bladder. Thank God I/they did that last surgery. It saved his life.

He had urine leaking into his abdomen. They had him hooked up to an IV to flush out his system and a catheter so he could pee. The sooner you catch this sort of thing, the better. If you stay on top of it, you will not have the bill I did.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:09 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
How's the cat fairing after the vet visit today?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:07 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
Justs for the record... I wasn't advocating Friskies. I was just saying that many cats live a long time on less than ideal foods. I don't think this is an excuse for feeding poor quality foods. So, while a cat's longevity might not depend on moist food, it *is* healthier for them both for the fluids and the fact that canned food is less processed than dry food and less processing means more nutrients.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:56 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Quote:
This is rubbish. I have owned several cats, none ate wet foood, one lived to 19 years of age w/NO wet cat food. If plenty of fresh water is left out they will drink it. Plus its better for their teeth and I believe they don't get so overweight. Where did you get this wet food thing from?
Before calling something "rubbish", please do some research. Cats tend to NOT drink enough water on their own. As a previous poster mentioned, moisture is supposed to be provided by a diet for an OBLIGATE CARNIVORE.
A Feline is such.
Feeding Your Cat Know the Basi
YourDiabeticCat.com - Helping and Preventing Feline Diabetes
www.felineoutreach.com

Research will illustrate the astronomical increased rate of diabetes, kidney issues, Tract Infections... and other diseases in correlation with poorer diets (like what uneducated vets are unwittingly selling in their lobbies!), and cheaper standards these days. Check out those sites, or just do a search. It's quick and easy.

We had a dog live over 18 years on Mighty Dog back in the '70s and '80s-- BUT he couldn't do that today on such a diet because of all the cheaper junk they put in the mainstream food nowadays. (China says "Hi''.)

Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
So, while a cat's longevity might not depend on moist food, it *is* healthier for them both for the fluids and the fact that canned food is less processed than dry food and less processing means more nutrients.

Talk about saving mucho $$$$$$ on vet bills as well!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:09 AM

226 posts, read 693,426 times
Thanks for all the advice. Dave was already on a high quality dry food, but before her appointment, the vet had me feed her some wet food, give her a prescription, and flavor her water so she's more likely to drink. The vet ended up just having to xray her, do a urinalysis (no bladder tap needed), and give her some fluids. The result? Nothing - no crystals, no UTI - a healthy cat. The vet thinks she had a UTI that cleared up with the medicine. I think it was all her master plan to get more wet food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats