Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 07:51 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times

Advertisements

What is it with this obsession with rice? Why do people keep suggesting they give this tiny baby rice? As I have said numerous times already in this thread:

Kittens do not need and cannot digest rice.

Rice is not good for cats, and is certainly not good for this tiny kitten.

No rice.

Do not feed this kitten rice.

Cats should not have rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 07:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
You don't know everything, none of us do. But I have much experience with it's use amongst many animals, including cats. I meant what I said. Give the kitten rice water. It works. Re-read my post if I am who you are referring to.

This person sounds as though they are in dire straights, in a foreign land, with a pandemic hitting all of us, and limited resources. With a kitten on the brink. Not everyone has the ability (nor monetary funds) to drop everything and take immediate care with a Vet. He/she said they are trying. In their country, cats are most likely all feral, very few pets. That is real life for billions of people on this earth.

PS: You do realize that many of the things science uses to cure us with are poisonous? Just in the right dosage. And they can ingest it for this purpose. I've used it since I was 18, and that was a loooooooong time ago. It breaks up the intestinal blockage (be it food) and allows it to release.

Last edited by TerraDown; 07-29-2020 at 08:11 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
You don't know everything. I meant what I said. Give the kitten rice water. It works. Re-read my post if I am who you are referring to.

You and everyone else who mentioned rice. Rice is not good. I never claimed to know everything lol but rice is not good for cats. Giving this baby rice would not be productive. Giving him rice water...to what purpose? If he's too young to poop on his own the video someone posted may help. If he hasn't eaten for several days, there wouldn't be much poop yet but if he hasn't eaten for several days it may be too late for him, he may already be in organ failure. A hard swollen stomach does not bode well.

The kitten needs emergency vet care, not rice water (which is high in arsenic).

PS I did reread the post. I see the reference to rice water now. Is it edited? Either way, I just don't agree with you. Rice or rice water, either one.

Last edited by catsmom21; 07-29-2020 at 08:12 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 08:12 PM

Re-read my post/refresh. I have edited it.

One thing you are right about. It may well be too late, but at least the OP can say they tried everything, including setting a Vet appt.

*No, the original post I made was not edited, at least the part about rice water for an unknown age of kitten. You must not have read it through, just jumped at the word of rice. 3 people have posted here about rice or parts of rice and it's good use.

Last edited by TerraDown; 07-29-2020 at 08:32 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Re-read my post/refresh. I have edited it.

One thing you are right about. It may well be too late, but at least the OP can say they tried everything, including setting a Vet appt.

I know they are trying. I disagree with your advice to give the kitten rice water. I do not think it will help this baby and may make things worse. I do not think it is good advice.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:17 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
OP, please let us know how things are going, you are very kind to help this kitten.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:35 PM

Terradown I did look it up by the way before I posted. If I'm wrong or off the mark I don't mind admitting it. But I couldn't find much if anything to corroborate your advice. Mostly I found that rice water is used as a skin or hair wash.

But more worrisome, is that rice loses the arsenic into the rice water. So when you give rice water to a tiny sick baby, not only are you loading that infant up with the pesticides from the rice (glyphosate, rice is GMO) you are loading him up with arsenic. I can't see this as being a good thing, even temporarily.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:40 PM

Correct. I didn't think to mention it (and it is great that you did) should be rinsed first, drained, and then cooked. Brown rice is the worse for this. But I still advocate using it, on a kitten that is most likely on its last legs, and the OP is desperate (as any good person would be) to try anything to save it. I've used it on everything from omnivores, carnivores, to herbivores in my lifetime. None were as far dire as this kitten, but it worked to get their intestines working in every single case.

Alas, as we now all read this thread, it may be too late. But the OP tried everything. We need more people like this on this planet. We can all agree on that

Old 07-29-2020, 09:11 PM

srahman, one more thing to mention now that I have read entire thread.
If this is a very young kitten, too young to be away from its' mother. It will need to have its' bottom stroked. I know how that sounds, but it is true.
If you have a wet, warmed towel, rub the babys' anus (guys, I have to say it, English 2nd language, sorry) butt hole, to stimulate it to poop. The mother cat would normally do this, but since you are playing substitute mother, you must do this. And make sure baby is kept warm. With the same warm, wet cloth, rub the belly lovingly.

Last edited by TerraDown; 07-29-2020 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-30-2020, 11:19 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
If we suspect a kitten's abdominal enlargement is due to internal parasites, we need to take them to the veterinarian immediately. They will be able to perform the correct diagnostic tests to not only confirm the presence of parasites, but to determine which type. Different types of parasite require different treatment methods. After treatment, the veterinarian will also be able to advise us on the proper course of deworming. This should be implemented at the same time as their vaccination schedule.

If your kitten has a swollen belly and also exhibits diarrhea, then the parasites in their digestive system will be considerable. If we see blood or the worms themselves in their feces, then immediate action needs to be taken. The vet will likely take a sample of the feces and examine it under a microscope to see what we are dealing with. Once the type of parasite is identified, they will be able to prescribe the right course of treatment.

https://www.animalwised.com/why-is-m...hard-2768.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats