Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2020, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 916 times

Advertisements

I have 3 male brothers who were together since birth. My cat Blanket hurt his paw and went to the vet but we were gone from 11:30am and got home at 6:30pm. Blanket has been to the vet before but and there was no problem but it also wasn't that long. Now, my 1 cat is acting scared of his brother and hiding under the couch and will not come out from under the couch. He loves food and treats but wouldn't come out. What do I do? He seen his brother coming towards him and ran for his life. I am so hurt. Please somebody help me. Blanket does have a little smell maybe from them cleaning up his paw. They are 1year and 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 12:28 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
That's a pretty normal reaction when one has been to the vet. Cats have an incredible sense of smell, and they will notice when one of them is different. Just being in a vet's office, even for a few minutes is enough to do it. Try not to worry too much. It may take a few hours, or a day for it to wear off and things get back to normal. Just let them be, and they should be fine.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:28 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
This is a very common thing. The best thing to do for now is to leave the scaredy cat alone, don't fuss at him, let him stay in his safe spot, and keep Blanket occupied elsewhere.

At supper time if he doesn't come out for his meal, put it nearby. If he hasn't eaten it by the time you go to bed, throw it away (it will be getting dried up and yucky by then) and put down fresh wet food, the smellier the better.

In the meantime you can help Blanket get back to smelling normal by encouraging him to run and play and roll on a carpet, and/or rub him up frequently with a t shirt you have worn,.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:30 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,669 times
^^^ What catdad and catsmom both said.

Wanted to add that the next time any of your cats have to visit the vet, expect that this will happen again. We had a cat who always reacted to vet smells when another cat came home. What we did was, we'd first feed the upset cat in a separate room and shut the door, and then bring in the cat who was at the vet's. Feed that cat in another location.

Wait an hour or two, then open the door to the room. Let the cats meet in their own time.

Usually, the food and the change in routine was enough to stop any hissing/problems.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:59 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Happens all the time. You kitties will be fine, just give them a little time.

The only way I avoided it was to take both cats to the vet at the same time - they both smelled like the vet's office and didn't notice the difference. LOL

When we got Cookie spayed, Checkers literally beat her up when we brought her home. We had to isolate her for a week before we could trust him to behave himself.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:48 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
My cats would hiss at the one coming back from the vets. Nice crowd. Normal reaction.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:16 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Ditto to all of the above, let them sort it out themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats