Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2020, 10:48 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times

Advertisements

any worry?? if so, ive got monday am, new vet dropoff slated. but would need gabapentin him to get in carrier again-- thus tax organs again aka liver, kidney, etc. all to satisfy my panic perhap ---& not a real need on his part? anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 04:02 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
any worry?? if so, ive got monday am, new vet dropoff slated. but would need gabapentin him to get in carrier again-- thus tax organs again aka liver, kidney, etc. all to satisfy my panic perhap ---& not a real need on his part? anyone?
Any eye or nose discharge? Sneezing or coughing? Still eating and drinking ok? Labored breathing?

If the answer is no to these (except the eating & drinking one), I would give it some time to see if it gets worse or better. It may or may not be temporary. FWIW, I've had a couple of cats who actually snored pretty much their whole lives when they were deep asleep, and other than keeping me awake sometimes, it was never a health issue.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:06 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
I have the same issue with my cat, impossible to get him to the vet.

He also started snoring.

Has there been any change with where he is sleeping? When my cat sleeps on the couch straight up.. no snoring. When he sleeps in his little "house" with the pillow in a circle, he snores.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:44 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I have the same issue with my cat, impossible to get him to the vet.

He also started snoring.

Has there been any change with where he is sleeping? When my cat sleeps on the couch straight up.. no snoring. When he sleeps in his little "house" with the pillow in a circle, he snores.
I firmly believe cats don't normally 'deep sleep' when out around human activity & noise. They can wake up and be across the room in the blink of an eye. But if they feel secluded and safe in their chosen hidey-hole, then they will deep sleep (I've actually had trouble waking them up a few times). That's likely the difference between snoring (if they do snore at all), and not snoring. And you're right, that might have an influence on the OP's question (if everything else is ok).

Old 10-12-2020, 06:47 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
I know you've had several changes in living situations. IMO I wouldn't worry about taking him in just yet, since he hasn't been living very long in this place. ITA with catdad that if he has other symptoms or if it worsens to bring him in.

But given his background being feral, I would wait this one out for a few days and see what happens.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I know you've had several changes in living situations. IMO I wouldn't worry about taking him in just yet, since he hasn't been living very long in this place. ITA with catdad that if he has other symptoms or if it worsens to bring him in.

But given his background being feral, I would wait this one out for a few days and see what happens.
TY everyone!

I can't gabapentin him every time to push panic you're right. He has some eye drainage/mucous but some days better
than others. It is r. eye mostly. He kinda lightly quietly whistles? It really isn't a snore.

So prob is we're moving back by driving not flying, & this means motel nites where he may need gabapentin already. I hope this sorts out soon tho as my worry for stress on both our cats while driving adds to it.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:33 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I firmly believe cats don't normally 'deep sleep' when out around human activity & noise. They can wake up and be across the room in the blink of an eye. But if they feel secluded and safe in their chosen hidey-hole, then they will deep sleep (I've actually had trouble waking them up a few times). That's likely the difference between snoring (if they do snore at all), and not snoring. And you're right, that might have an influence on the OP's question (if everything else is ok).
Yes I have noticed my cat sleeping more deeply in the hidey-hole. I also question if my cat was snoring when I was out working and never knew and now that I am home I hear it.

Quote:
I can't gabapentin him every time to push panic you're right.
I am done gabapentining mine for the vet who, frankly, does nothing and tells me to take him home and watch it.

My cat would prefer to be sick than to see the vet so -- I will give a lot of leeway before I take him in again.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Yes I have noticed my cat sleeping more deeply in the hidey-hole. I also question if my cat was snoring when I was out working and never knew and now that I am home I hear it.

I am done gabapentining mine for the vet who, frankly, does nothing and tells me to take him home and watch it.

My cat would prefer to be sick than to see the vet so -- I will give a lot of leeway before I take him in again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats