Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 09:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

Advertisements

I don’t know... I’ve thought often about getting a third, perhaps older female as well as I also have two sometimes rambunctious males myself.

But having cats is expensive, at least if you get quality food and take to vet sufficiently often. And they need space. Or maybe I need space. And extra litter boxes. So whatever your baseline is, magnify it by 50%. For me, not in the cards at the moment. Besides, there’s a future puppy in line first who is going to be raised by me and my two kitties that I haven’t gotten yet either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 02:15 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yes. Those orange tabby boys are something else, aren’t they?! Mine is just like a little dog, sitting in my lap, leaning in and looking into my eyes for a pet, fetching his toy and dropping it at my feet, growling if someone’s knocking on the door... I was “gifted” with a small feral lynx point Siamese. She can get away pretty well when she’s had enough.
Yes!! My youngest does this. It's so funny

Old 02-12-2021, 06:27 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yes. Those orange tabby boys are something else, aren’t they?! Mine is just like a little dog, sitting in my lap, leaning in and looking into my eyes for a pet, fetching his toy and dropping it at my feet, growling if someone’s knocking on the door... I was “gifted” with a small feral lynx point Siamese. She can get away pretty well when she’s had enough.
I adopted a female lynx siamese kitten back a few months ago. I absolutely love her. I don't know if she was a feral kitten or not, just that when I first picked her up from the animal shelter she wasn't very friendly. Now she is a little lovebug on her terms. Unlike cats I have had in the past, she hates being picked up. Is your girl like this too?

I've thought about adopting a little brother or sister for my kitty, but not sure if she'd get jealous!

Old 02-12-2021, 06:35 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
I know this thread is about cats but I'm commenting on the number. We had three dogs for many years until one of them died recently so now we just have two male dogs. Our dog who died was a female. The boys get along great with each other and are very happy but there's just something about having three pets, whether it's dogs or cats or a combination of the two, that just feels right. I also think the boys need a female to keep them in line ; ) Our gal was the alpha female of the pack.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:26 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
PUSHOVER! PUSHOVER! PUSHOVER!

Basic advice of any story is that despite where our hearts are, be careful what you say, even if just wishful.

Now, there are 7 cats. Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. I was at 2 cats and then Mom's dogs were going to move in. The money from the estate was there, so I rented another apartment to have a second lease to have two more pets (and other justifying reasons). One dog moved in but then two caught and released cats moved into the neighborhood and adopted us.

Pet count, then, 5. The dog and a C&R cat passed on. Had to move into a rental house and having just 3 worked then. Ranch house got done, moved here. A belly dancing sister's daughter found 2 kittens in a rain storm and were looking for homes. I said, well, if you get into a bind, thinking finding homes wouldn't be that tough. Well, guess what? A few weeks later, the sister called up and asked if my offer was still open?

Well, I did say it......and Dirk & Kara moved in. At the time, the counter to "Can I handle 5?" was countered with the experience of 5 at the apartments. To me, these things are Angel guided for they told me they were desperate, they were about ready to be offering them up in the parking lot of Wally World but now, the belly dancing community is happy they are living with me.

Gizzy, my oldest boy, passed on in 2019. My belly dancing teacher needed fostering so I did that for Serena for about 2 weeks. An actress friend, divorced, needed a home for her 3 cats, so now my count is 7 with my 4 and her 3 and........the inn is full!

I think 8 is my upmost number but spot 8 is reserved for a shop kitty, the Sheba, if she ever needs a home.

I love them, there is room for everyone, but my morning take offs are at least an hour longer, my pet visits are numerous and can well be over a thousand at a time, and I buy Friskies cans and treats by the ton! While in this crisis, there are homeless animals out there, I keep my lips together. People who know me know that if someone out there is really, really in a bind, that I can be asked and I would find a way......but everyone is permanent here until they are not.

As I tell my actress friend about hers, I hope they all get back together someday but they, Serena, Arthur, and Piper, will always have a home here.

Our hearts are big but are our purses huge as well?

Old 02-13-2021, 01:45 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
This is the cat forum. OF COURSE we think you should get another cat.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:48 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Well said, NYC! How could OP expect otherwise?

Old 02-14-2021, 12:34 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm a straggler from the dog forum and I think they should get another cat! There's a thread called "Explain your screen name." Mine is rfomd which stands for Room For One More Dog - a carryover from my fostering days. Tamara has me beat - five was my maximum.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:03 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Tamara, I don't always understand all of your posts (I think your brain functions on a different level than mine), but after your post in this thread, I think I love you, LOL!!

But I say that as a fellow crazy cat person (although my SO is one too ) so you can take it with a grain of salt. Or with lots of cat treats!

=====

And to the OP: OF COURSE you should get another kitty!

Old 02-14-2021, 01:10 PM

2,345 posts, read 614,301 times
2 1/2+ years ago we were catless. Our long haired Moe died of lymphoma when he was 12 - Sir Pumpkin (orange cat with no tail) died at 20 and that left just sweet Molly the tabby she was at least 18 when she just slowed down and daughter set her on the sofa next to me and said keep and eye on her Mom - next thing I knew - she had crossed the rainbow bridge.

I heard about a litter being born - and went to look at them - The kittens were adorable. I picked up one, and he was so cuddly, I got two. A brother and sister - they are part siamese, and as cuddly as they were as kittends, as grown cats they aren't cuddly at all. Occasionally one will come sit by me while reading - they will both sleep at my feet on the bed. I'd love a cat that would sit on my lap. But unless one shows up on our doorstep, I don't see us getting another one. I can barely stay up with the litter box with these 2 - and these cats Leo and Maxine are indoor cats only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats