Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2020, 01:06 AM

66 posts, read 43,144 times

Advertisements

I have a problem with my cat, Boots peeing outside the litterbox. We had a problem for a while, took him to the vet, nothing really wrong and did all the things the vet recommended (checking litter boxes, cleaning spots he peed really well, feliway). So our problem stopped until we got a cardboard scratching box with catnip - Boots would pee right on the box! This happened with a couple of boxes and we finally googled and found out that catnip makes some cats pee. Who knew? So we have outlawed catnip in our house.

I asked the vet about this during Boot's checkup last week and he confirmed that this was a thing. He recommended Feliway Comfort Zone (we have 4 cats total). And something called Feliscratch (I think) to try on the cardboard scratching boxes. I have started the Feliway CZ and got the Feliscratch to start using today.

Anyway, now that you have the background, on to my question. My sister bought a new catbed and put it in the living room for our cats. And within a few hours Boots had peed on it. Just like there was catnip on it. So my sister put it in the washer and when she took it out to dry realized the it was stuffed with the small foam cubes (in a sack). Those are really not supposed to be washed/dry, only the outside covering. So she left the sack on top of the washer and we planned on getting a waterproof pillowcase to put them in. Anyway, Boots jumped on top of the washer and peed on the stuffing! And the washer, and the wall.... Does anyone know if cats are attracted to foam the same way as catnip - or if it would affects cats the same way? Or other things that make cats pee? Boots has never been on the washer before, so I think something attracted him.

We looked on the label and it doesn't say anything about having catnip in it - it is just a generic pet bed from Sams. Any ideas as to whether this is a similar thing to the catnip? Thanks for your help!

rxmom03
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 04:20 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
All cats are spayed and neutered, I am assuming?

I wouldn't know about the foam in the bed, but recommend you just throw it away. It sounds to me like your male cat is a bit stressed in the four cat household and is trying to mark his territory.

What's really needed here, in my opinion, is to determine if you have enough resources for four cats, so he feels like he's getting his share of everything.

How many litter boxes do you have? You should have at least 5 boxes throughout the house for four cats, but I would add a couple more. Maybe 7 total, two in each spot you have boxes, and an extra somewhere really remote.

Boxes should be scooped clean of all pee and poop on a daily basis.

Each cat should have his or her own meal spot. No sharing of dishes. Feed each cat in his designated spot, and don't allow other cats to barge in on any other cats.

Ensure you have enough elevated spaces for cats who like to climb and perch, so there is no competition for elevated spaces.

Ensure there are enough scratching posts, sturdy strong ones, for al the cats, and make sure they are of a type the cats actually will use. A scratcher no one likes isn't much use.

Keep stress at a minimum. Ensuring the adequate resources will help of course, but if yours is a noisy household make sure there are places for cats to go off and get some peace and quiet by themselves.

I would recommend Rescue Remedy over feliway. Not a big fan of feliway plug ins, and sometimes it can make things worse.

If you aren't already, feed your cats a wet diet. Especially the one who is peeing around the house, needs to be on an all wet diet, but really they all should be. They will feel better, act better, and be healthier.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:16 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
All cats are spayed and neutered, I am assuming?

I wouldn't know about the foam in the bed, but recommend you just throw it away. It sounds to me like your male cat is a bit stressed in the four cat household and is trying to mark his territory.
I have to agree with this statement, and all of what cats mom said in her post.

When you brought him into the vet, did they check a urine sample for a UTI or other issues?

Old 11-09-2020, 10:48 PM

66 posts, read 43,144 times
All cats are spayed/neutered. We are 3 households who have joined into one over the last year and moved into a new house this August. We only have 4 litter boxes now - we have moved things around but can only find spaces for 4 at the moment although I will try to move things around some more. They are cleaned daily.

Everyone has their own spaces. My sister's cat has her room, my two have my room (they are a bonded pair), my mom's cat and my 2 will go to her room, and all of them have spaces in the living room.

Boots can be a high-strung kitty at times. I used to give him CBD oil but after a while he started to really hate the taste and we eventually quit. I will look into the Rescue Remedy. Do you put it in their water (that is what it said in their ad) or directly in their food?

Everyone does have their own spot to eat, although 3 are close to each other (my sister feeds her cat in her bedroom - her cat is old and kind of cranky). Boots is usually the one leading the charge to eat (and checking out the other bowls) so I don't think that is a problem.

They eat mainly wet, but some dry. That won't change - my mother (88yr old and with a walker) has to be able to feed them something in the morning when she wakes up early and we are either asleep or I am at work (night shift). At least 3 of the cats will swarm her and if you have been around hungry cats you know how they can get. She can't bend down to get the bowl and fix wet food but she can drop some dry food in their bowls. They then won't bother her and she can get her tea, etc.

About a year (or more) ago, the vet checked and Boots did have crystals in his urine (but no other problems). That has cleared up now (check up around 6 months ago and now). There is no UTI, but if this continues I will definitely take him back to the vet.

I was mainly curious since I have learned about catnip/cats peeing. This is exactly how he acted with catnip and he hadn't done this at all since we moved in. Thanks for your help and the suggestion of REscue Remedy. I am excited to try it!

rxmom03

Old 11-10-2020, 06:26 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
A couple of things about the Rescue Remedy. Make sure to get the pet version, which has no alcohol. You can add to water, mix in wet food, or put a little on your hands and apply to kitty's ears. I usually mix in wet food.

You've had a lot of change in the past year--my guess is this is stress related. Try to keep a routine as much as possible. Play with him to help release extra energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats