Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 03:56 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times

Advertisements

My now 8 month old Luna-Tuna refuses to use a scratching post and opts for my rugs instead! I've repeatedly taken her to the scratching posts but she's still unclear on concept. I've had to take up my hall runner because that's been a favorite of hers. She still attacks the rug in the dining area as it's the exact same kind of rug. I have a corregated scratching box (with catnip) that she won't even look at. I've offered her other rugs that I don't care about. No go. My other cat, Leila, took to both the scratching posts and scratching box without any issue.

Today I purchased a sisal place mat for $3 at Walmart hoping that she would be attracted to it. She is but she still prefers my rug. I'm about to give up. These aren't high end rugs (got them from Target) so maybe I should let her scratch the crap out of them and then replace them with something else when the time comes.

Luna did start attacking the sofa arms (as did Leila) but I just put tape on them and that cut habit. Maybe I should just tape the entire rug???

My two cats are just like my two girls. Kid#1 was uber shy and did what she was told. Kid #2 was a hellion.

History repeats itself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 05:13 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Maybe get some cheap throw rugs for her to scratch on?

Old 11-25-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Maybe get some cheap throw rugs for her to scratch on?
I thought of that--in fact I had a rug in hand when I found the sisal placemat. The placemat was cheaper.

Somehow spending money on a rug my cat is only going to trash (or not) doesn't seem to be a wise investment. I may as well let her tear up what I have and then get new "anti" cat rugs.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:15 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Cat deterrent on the rug? Catnip on and around the scratching areas?

Old 11-26-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Cat deterrent on the rug? Catnip on and around the scratching areas?
The cat deterrent I got from the pet store is useless. I'll try rubbing some catnip into the placemat, but weirdly, Luna doesn't seem attracted to it.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:09 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,498,140 times
Check online for other deterrents. There are a bunch and some home concoctions as well. There are probably other attractants if they don't like catnip. If it wasn't Thanksgiving, I'm sure folks here would have a lot of suggestions.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:54 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I thought of that--in fact I had a rug in hand when I found the sisal placemat. The placemat was cheaper.

Somehow spending money on a rug my cat is only going to trash (or not) doesn't seem to be a wise investment. I may as well let her tear up what I have and then get new "anti" cat rugs.
A placemat is way too small. Natural motion is to stretch and sharpen. When ShadowCat eyed furniture we gave her a 12x2 pine board with felt feet glued on. She turned it into a tooth pick factory. Izzi inherited it.

Not all cats enjoy catnip just as not all humans enjoy grass.

Old 11-26-2020, 01:19 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
I've been amazed, and fortunate I guess, that all the cats we've ever had seemed to know exactly what the cat tree was for and left furniture alone. I've had more trouble keeping puppies from trying to EAT the cat tree.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:32 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
It's possible she likes the feel of carpet to scratch on. Cats are weird. I always found my former cat scratching any cardboard boxes I had around, not the flat corrogated scratched on the floor. So I got her one of those "incline" scratchers so she could be more upright; she seemed to like that. My local pet store sells those "carpet sample" squares in two sizes; are you able to find something similar? Mind you, I'm not certain how you'll convince her that one type of carpeting is okay to scratch on and another isn't... my guess would be that the rug she currently scratches on will need the deterrent, the "acceptable" one will need the catnip, and then your reinforcement as well (stop her from scratching on the rug you don't want her to; praise and treats when she uses the one she should).

Is it possible to take up the rugs she shouldn't use in the meantime? That might help make it more clear. As well as putting the "okay" mats in a different area that will be the "scratching area" and leave them there. Or, if there is only a specific part of your "not okay" rugs she scratches (like a certain corner), put the "okay" mats right on top of that spot?

Old 11-26-2020, 02:53 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
Does she like cardboard? We had one cat that loved those cat scratch boxes made from cardboard & would ignore all other types. However I guess if you are going to let her have the current rugs that's fine too, & buy new ones down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats