U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 743 times

Advertisements

First off, I am sorry for my English since I am from Vietnam! I am very grateful for the experts here for their time and knowledge to help people around the world.

Two weeks ago, I saw the three abandoned kittens in the market, it was cold and raining, I could not leave them standing there, so I picked them all and brought home.

Since i have to work all day long and come home often late, I feel that I could not adopt them. So while keeping them, I was looking for a new home for them. One of the three kittens, there was the one who was a bit weak. She was not quite playful, yet she ate well. I was planning her to see a vet on weekend.
Then I got a call from the new adopters. They wanted to take all three kittens since they did not want to split them up. I personally took them to the new home, they were quite healthy.
What happened to me next is really upsetting!

After 04 days of adopting, the son of the adopting family called me and said that the weak kitten (the one I told above) had dies. He told me that at noon, he gave the kittens some food, he went to work, and at 17:00, he got home to find the weak kitten vomited with white foam and yellowish liquid, then she die. What really making me surprised was that at lunchtime, the kitten was eating, having some playing, but just six hours later, she died so suddenly.

I keep asking my self: Can this caused by rabies?

The followings are the facts of the kitten that died and rabies is the cause (I think so):
_She had some scratches at her legs. They might cause from the fighting with some animals ( rabid or not, I don’t know);
_She was abandoned in the market, none cared about her safety;
_She was a bit weak, when I was at home, she just wanted to get close to me for some warmth.
_She often had diarrhea right after having meal.
But I am so confused because she did not have drooling mouth, and at noon, she ate, so i think if she had rabies, she must be very weak at noon, or showing rabies signs like biting & attacking, getting paralyzed…But she was not like that at noon…

During 5 days living with me. She slept on my chest, I put her on my neck as she followed me all the time, I used my barely hands to feed her and clean her wounds. I am afraid that her saliva could have contacted my wounds ( I do have some tiny scratches caused by skin irritation..). The comforting fact was that she did not bite me and scratch me at all. I also checked her mouth and she did not have drooling mouth…
I want to take the rabies shots but in Vietnam, it is so costly. My income went down this year because of covid -19, and I really feel so sad to spend the large sum of money on taking vaccine. I need your help!

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Tran
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 05:23 AM

7,093 posts, read 14,648,387 times
The dead kitten could be tested for rabies. It is unlikely, unless rabies is rampant in the area they were found.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:27 AM

68,631 posts, read 5,397,459 times
Hugs, you were very kind to save them from the market & help them find a new home. The kitten may have been ill for a while, & malnourished since birth. Don't beat yourself up, over what could have been, you did a good job & hopefully the other 2 will be healthy & well cared for in their new home.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:50 AM

7,093 posts, read 14,648,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Hugs, you were very kind to save them from the market & help them find a new home. The kitten may have been ill for a while, & malnourished since birth. Don't beat yourself up, over what could have been, you did a good job & hopefully the other 2 will be healthy & well cared for in their new home.

The OP's concern is about whether s/he has contracted rabies.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:37 AM

17,460 posts, read 35,351,141 times
Most likely worms and/or coccidia.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:34 AM

3,580 posts, read 1,255,458 times
My first question would be whether the kitten had eaten something poisonous.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The dead kitten could be tested for rabies. It is unlikely, unless rabies is rampant in the area they were found.
Thanks for your message. I have asked the vet as he was checking the dead kitten, he said the service was not available in the city. He also tested the fecal for FPV and the result came back negative. I was confused...

I dont know if there are some experts on rabies in the forum. I have read a lot from internet, i think that rabies is a long process, not looks like a quick attack that makes the kitten dead within six hours. If she was rabid and dead in the afternoon, she must be very weak at noon and she must show clear symptoms of rabies...

But that is my guess.

Can anyone help me out?

I am planning for the rabies shots in the next week.

In 2012, i had a full course of rabies vaccine ( 05 shots of Verorab) and i wonder if the vaccine is still protective...The hospitals dont have the service to check the antibody in the city..

Thanks!

Jeff Tran

Old 12-19-2020, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 285 times
If the cat was eating and drinking it is unlikely they had rabies. Unfortunately there is no way to be sure unless the brain of the deceased kitten is tested, but if you have any doubt in your mind that you may have been infected with rabies, you should have gotten the shot yesterday. Time is of the essence with that disease.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:48 AM

4,507 posts, read 2,210,496 times
If you think it's rabies because of the foam, then I doubt it. Vomit can be foamy and rabies has many other symptoms. Lots of stray kittens who lose their mother don't make it and even with a healthy mother sometimes a small kitten just can't hang on.

You're a kind person to care for them and find them a home, but without any other reason to worry, I wouldn't.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:03 AM
Status: "We're all broken, that's how the light gets in." (set 10 days ago)

55,773 posts, read 44,134,562 times
You sound like a very kind person.

The kitten doesn't sound like it had rabies to me. Also, you had the rabies vaccine and it should continue to offer some, though declining, immunity.

But if you're still worried, you should get to your doctor ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats