Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 02:01 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times

Advertisements

I think I am reaching the end of being able to take care of Tommy's needs (14).
Before you tell me to talk to a vet. I have. 2 of them. I already spent $1000 and have to stop there. I can't justify spending more no matter how much i depend on and love him.

I want to find out if anyone has tried a lickable supplement (fish flavor) to at least help him regain some weight and help his body hold on to nutrients so he hopefully can build his strength up. I don't need links to find some. I can do that myself. I would like to hear your similar situation-what you did about it.
What did you try and what worked or didn't.

He is Hyperthyroid. But they haven't checked him for stomach cancer. I thought they should have done that since he was throwing up practically everday and sometimes 2 X /day.They want me to give him thyroid pills but he vomits when I give him those pills so i stopped giving them. Now of course. he is turning into a skeleton, bones sticking out everywhere.. He is practically weight-less.

Tommy has stopped eating kibbles. His breath is bad and I am pretty sure the plaque that built up on his teeth has made his gums and teeth hurt. He won't eat wet food, even his former favorite shredded tuna and cheese, FF, but if he cant stand starving any longer he will eat and a few minutes it all comes up. He basically can only lick up the sauce in the canned food. I am throwing out about $3/day in food he can't eat. To top it off he won't eat leftover food from an hour or two after opening one. I noticed his eyes are watery but not teary. Would pain in his jaw cause that? To top it all off he has diarrhea I think because he drank milk but he wants it.

As I type this I am already convincing myself to let him go. i guess i have to suck it up and do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 07:00 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
Have you asked your vet about trying an ear gel for the thryoid? You apply to the inside of the ear and it absorbs into the body that way. From what I've read, it may not be as effective as the pills, but it's far better than no treatment.

We just lost our 20 year old boy, Benny. He was also hyperthyroid and had other health issues, including being so thin. Benny loved the lickable supplements that came in a squeeze tube. Chicken/turkey baby food was also a favorite. He also loved the Temptations brand of treats. Oh, and some Redi-whip from a can (not many calories, but he got whatever he wanted).

However, please know that if you feed too many treats and not any balanced died, their potassium level will be off and they'll get wobbly. (This didn't happen to us, but I've heard of it happening to others.)

I'm very sorry this is happening to you. It sucks to make this decision, no matter what their age.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I think I am reaching the end of being able to take care of Tommy's needs (14).
Before you tell me to talk to a vet. I have. 2 of them. I already spent $1000 and have to stop there. I can't justify spending more no matter how much i depend on and love him.

As I type this I am already convincing myself to let him go. i guess i have to suck it up and do it.
When my most elderly cat reached that point I just tried to keep her as comfortable as possible. When she had a huge abcess on her face (3 years prior to her death) people told me to take her to the vet. I knew it would mean they'd put her down because of her very advanced age.
With "dust on" (an all in one wound dressing) I was able to clear it up and give her a few more years....she became very very thin.
Near her end she was crying in pain, and couldn't even drink water, so we put her down. It was very sad, but not so much because she'd had a good, and long long life, like your cat.
Doesn't sound like the vets can help your elderly cat anyways ,and her time has come...sorry, it's hard to lose a cherished pet...I know.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Have you asked your vet about trying an ear gel for the thryoid? You apply to the inside of the ear and it absorbs into the body that way. From what I've read, it may not be as effective as the pills, but it's far better than no treatment.

We just lost our 20 year old boy, Benny. He was also hyperthyroid and had other health issues, including being so thin. Benny loved the lickable supplements that came in a squeeze tube. Chicken/turkey baby food was also a favorite. He also loved the Temptations brand of treats. Oh, and some Redi-whip from a can (not many calories, but he got whatever he wanted).

However, please know that if you feed too many treats and not any balanced died, their potassium level will be off and they'll get wobbly. (This didn't happen to us, but I've heard of it happening to others.)

I'm very sorry this is happening to you. It sucks to make this decision, no matter what their age.

Thanks Rene !!. I needed someone to bring my brain back into working order!You reminded me about the ear gel I used to give him. I think I will try that again. It's $68. Tommy doesn't like it very much but its better than him throwing up the pills. It didn't even dawn on me to go back to the gel. Duhhhhh.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
When my most elderly cat reached that point I just tried to keep her as comfortable as possible. When she had a huge abcess on her face (3 years prior to her death) people told me to take her to the vet. I knew it would mean they'd put her down because of her very advanced age.
With "dust on" (an all in one wound dressing) I was able to clear it up and give her a few more years....she became very very thin.
Near her end she was crying in pain, and couldn't even drink water, so we put her down. It was very sad, but not so much because she'd had a good, and long long life, like your cat.
Doesn't sound like the vets can help your elderly cat anyways ,and her time has come...sorry, it's hard to lose a cherished pet...I know.

So good to read your kind reply. I feel better. I think I will try the thyroid ear gel again. At least he will be medicated but I am not sure it will clear up his sensitive stomach. I will spend another $68. and try it.
There IS hope. Thanks a bunch.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:06 PM

579 posts, read 521,879 times
kitten food?

Old 10-07-2020, 05:24 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,080 times
https://smile.amazon.com/Hartz-Delec...QS994X7CCSQHWB

Old 10-07-2020, 06:38 PM

457 posts, read 496,663 times
Put him on the transdermal thyroid med today. I have 2 hyperthyroid kitties on the “gel”. One apparently had his thyroid tumor grow quickly and threw his numbers off. He lost weight and looked terrible. Once we got his meds adjusted he’s back to normal and has gained 2 lbs back in 3 months. Good luck to you.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
Put him on the transdermal thyroid med today. I have 2 hyperthyroid kitties on the “gel”. One apparently had his thyroid tumor grow quickly and threw his numbers off. He lost weight and looked terrible. Once we got his meds adjusted he’s back to normal and has gained 2 lbs back in 3 months. Good luck to you.

Glad your kitties are recovering......it gives me some hope. Thanks for your advice and story.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:25 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,760,693 times
My 20-year old is hyperthyroid along with having high blood pressure and was uncomfortable with a 'runny' eye and possibly some gum infection. For her last visit, she got an antibiotic shot that took care of the eye (and hopefully any teeth discomfort). I started her on transdermal Mirtazapine (to increase her appetite). She has bounced back nicely in the last couple of weeks - phew!

Great that you will started the transdermal medicine - it is easier on the stomach. Just remember to gently clean the ears so that you don't get a build up.

I have had some success with Tomlyn's "Nutri-Cal". When they get to the stage of not eating, it can be so stressful - hang in there!

Please avoid giving your kitty regular milk. I give my cats "Lactaid" milk because it lacks lactose which causes an upset stomach and diarrhea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats