Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 358 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for answers...after many vet appts I am hoping someone out there has either experienced what we're going through or knows of someone that has gone through our situation.

We took our 8 month old Siberian to get spayed on 2/5. She got spayed on a Friday and pretty much slept through the weekend. We gave her pain medication through the weekend and stopped Sunday night. Come Monday, she threw up her regular food 3x. Twice in the morning and then again in the evening. Per vets instructions we removed the food and gave it to her next morning only for it to be repeated. Took her to the vet on Tuesday and she had a slight fever so the vet gave her a shot of antibiotics along with shot for fluid and anti nausea shot.

Fast forward and nearly 20 days since her spay appt and many other vet appts and not much has changed. She throws up literally anything outside of boiled chicken. We even sprinkled some probiotic on her food and she threw it up 15 min later. We've tried Hills and Royal Canine gastro food and that came right up as well.

The crazy part is that she never threw up hairballs or threw up in general prior to this. She was a perfectly happy cat. When she isn't throwing up she is herself, full of energy and happy. Her poop is normal, no diarrhea. The 2nd vet gave her more antibiotics thinking it was a stomach virus and still the same issue. Today we took her in for Xray on an empty stomach to see if she swallowed something...and nothing.

We're lost...she's such a great cat and it sucks to see her throw up since it takes a lot out of her. Looking for answers out there...anyone ever experience anything like this??? The doc today mentioned IBD as a possible issue to look into but she literally had NO issues prior to the spay.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 04:20 PM

2,288 posts, read 588,405 times
I'm so sorry your poor kitty is having such troubles. Maybe an ultrasound will tell you guys more about what could be causing this. It seems very weird that it has only happened since the spay.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:41 PM

3,009 posts, read 2,195,014 times
If her bathroom habits are relatively normal, then something is still getting down, so that's good. Does she eat quickly? Does she throw it up immediately, 30 min. later, an hour later...? How many times a day do you feed her? Water is staying down ok? Wet food/dry food/combo? It seems as though she is still eager to eat (i.e., it hasn't bothered her to the extent that she won't eat anymore), so that's good, and it doesn't seem like she is too picky about what her food is (though her tummy is)!

The spay may have had something to do with it, especially with the anesthesia and change in routine, etc. But after almost 3 weeks, it seems like things should be settling down. Maybe trying out different foods could be exacerbating the situation? I also wonder if it is an issue that would have shown up at this age regardless and not related to the spay at all?

It sounds like you and your vet are doing everything you can, so please don't think that all of these questions are suggesting anything to the contrary. I am just brainstorming what might be bothering your poor baby!

Old 02-24-2021, 03:31 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Kibble or wet? If it's kibble, get rid of it. Transition her to a wet diet. If she's already eating wet, I'd recommend you turn to raw feeding or home cooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats