Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 11:49 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times

Advertisements

Did you fill out paperwork with the rescue? Many of them request that you bring the pet back if it's not working out. I'm working with a rescue organization now, and they are very, very understanding. For every match that doesn't work out, there are so many others that do even if you never would have guessed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 01:15 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
I'm very sorry that this has happened to you. ITA with the other responses, and be honest about the situation.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:34 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Allergies are one of the top 5 reasons for people returning a cat. This website has some ideas about making sure that it is in fact, allergies to the cat. You might want to try the before you return kitty.

Top 5 reasons for returning cats — Regina Cat Rescue

If you must return the kitty, the rescue will not think ill of you. You are doing right by the kitty and yourself. It happens ALL THE TIME!

Cat

Old 03-05-2021, 09:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Sounds like the situation with Endora. My dance teacher took her in but then her resident boy cat objected. He would not come inside as long as that cat was there. She was heart broken and desperate! Fortunately, there was me, with the big ranch house and the big heart and I fostered Endora until a new home could be found for her.

Hearts are out there!

Old 03-05-2021, 10:59 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
Yes, this definitely sounds like an allergy. But if you haven't returned the kitten yet, maybe try one thing first. Try changing her food.

I say this because I brought an adult cat home from a rescue, and fed her the food that they gave me. That food had GMO corn in it, which I apparently have some kind of intolerance to (I have avoided products with it for years). I started having allergy symptoms — stuffed sinuses, itchy eyes, sneezing. Luckily I ran out of that food so switched her to a different food that did not have GMO corn in it, and voila, my symptoms disappeared!

So, maybe try changing her food and see if your symptoms abate. Just a suggestion.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:08 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
You need to return the kitten immediately. They grow very quickly and it is much harder for them to find forever homes after they pass that cute, tiny kitten stage.

What the shelter thinks is irrelevant (unless they are not willing to take it back). Perhaps take pictures of your rash just in case.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:15 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Another one-post wonder, apparently. You're welcome.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:32 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Steel yourself ahead of time for the possibility that they might try to say, imply or otherwise indicate that you are the problem or that there is something wrong with you. There isn't. Realizing now that you would not be a good fit for the kitten is best for everyone. By going to the doctor, you have shown you are responsible.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,271 times
Thank you everyone for your replies! I truly appreciate them. I took a few days and waited to see a dermatologist and they confirmed that it is an allergy related reaction unfortunately, so he will be going back to the rescue. This is a very sad time for me, but I know it’ll be best for us both in the end.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:10 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaxox View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! I truly appreciate them. I took a few days and waited to see a dermatologist and they confirmed that it is an allergy related reaction unfortunately, so he will be going back to the rescue. This is a very sad time for me, but I know it’ll be best for us both in the end.
Sending you a hug. I'm sorry this happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats