Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 03:35 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times

Advertisements

I was talking with someone this morning who has two cats. She said that she has become allergic to the cats. I asked how bad the allergy was, and she said if she touched them, and then touched her face, etc. that it would itch very bad. She is taking allergy medications for it, but I wondered if there might be another answer. If I remember right, it isn't like a dog allergy (dander), but more of a saliva of the cat issue, so maybe it couldn't be addressed any other way.

I know with my son, he started having problems which seemed to be related to the neighbor's cats, which he just loved and could not keep his hands off and holding/petting them, but in that case, I really think that being outdoor cats, they may have been carrying allergens from the grasses/weeds as a couple of the 4 of them liked to hunt varmints.

Any thoughts? I am sure she will keep these cats as they are older, and she is just the kind of person that would keep them versus those who would rehome.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 05:43 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
It is the cat's dander that is the allergen. It's caused by the cat's saliva. The cat washes himself, the saliva dries on the fur, and the fur carries the allergen around, which is why some people, who are just so allergic, can't even be in a house where there is a cat.

Some people can get by with wiping the cats' fur down a couple times a day, with a damp paper towel. This cleans off the saliva, And stops the fur from floating, at least temporarily. She should wear gloves, of course while doing it. Daily vacuuming would help too (but..ugh! lol), using a special allergen filter.

I'm so sorry for your friend that this is happening. Has she had a check up? I wonder if she has an underlying health problem, that has triggered her allergy.

Some other ideas: Diet matters in every living being. Has she changed their food? Or has the food she feeds changed it's formula? Maybe a food change has altered their chemistry (I don't know if that's possible or not just throwing out ideas)

How about the litter? Has that changed?

I am relieved to know they won't lose their home and human. I hesitated to even open the thread..in case it was something like that.

Old 05-09-2022, 05:57 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
We have been on allergy shots for over ten years. Give up the furries? NO!

Old 05-10-2022, 12:02 PM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I'm allergic to cats, too. I never told Cookie or Checkers - they would have been insulted.

What I did, however, was vacuum a lot. I brushed the cats daily (which they happened to love) and rubbed them down with damp towels (which they did not). I used cheap fleece blankets on the furniture and changed and washed them frequently. I took Allegra, and if necessary, Benadryl (I do not miss that!).

My reactions to the cats wasn't the same every day. Some days I could mush my face in their fur and not twitch; other days I had to leave the house for a few hours to let my lungs and head clear out.

The things we do for love.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:41 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Thanks everyone! Great input! I'm going to send her the link to this thread. I know that City-Data members will always be full of ideas and understanding.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:52 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,021 times
If I ever become allergic to my fur babies, just take me out behind the barn and shoot me.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:59 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
I learned several years ago that I have a slight allergy to cats, but I never really noticed it. Since I learned it I noticed that when my cat sleeps near my head I get a bit stuffy. I think I had noticed that before the allergist told me I'm allergic but I never attributed it to the cat. So basically when the cat wants to sleep near my head I brush her aside.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:41 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
I think it's dander, not saliva. I know that I can react even with no cats in the room.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:21 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,098 times
How long has she had these 2 cats? She is suddenly allergic to them? Are there any other animals in the home? A change in litter?

Old 05-13-2022, 05:03 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,353,698 times
I started becoming allergic to cats a long time ago.
At first I took a homeopathic, BioAllers Animal Hair & Dander. This helped a lot.

But what really worked for me was changing the cats' diet. I took them off cheap cat food and put them on raw meat. Voila! My "allergies" disappeared.

When I thought about it, I recognized that I had an intolerance to GMO corn - not exactly an allergy but something that I tried as much as possible to avoid. I guess there was enough GMO corn in the processed food to change the cats' dander and create an allergy in me.

When I got my current cat, she had been eating cheap cat food. My "allergy" started up again. I switched her to a high-quality canned food and the "allergy" disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats