U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:04 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,024,966 times

Advertisements

I have come to realize that I have an addiction. It's pets, in this case more specifically, I have been tempted by yet another litter. It's furry, whiskered faces squeaking at me, silky cheeks rubbing my arms and dry little noses nudging me for love.. We don't have a lot of cats right now, we have only 2. However, we live in a 2br apartment, and have a 2yo. We also are going to be getting a dog when we purchase a home. I have gone back and forth with the idea of another cat, the litter box, the food, the aggression that may take place with my other grown cats. How do I say no! I think it will be too much right now, but I cannot bring myself to say "NO thank you". Our daughter is an only child, and most likely will be. Instead of having a brother or sister to share toys with, she'll be surrounded by furry animals, that are loyal and will love her unconditionally. I know the right thing is to say no to the kitten at this time, another would be great when we have a home and more room, but everytime I tell myself no, I go back to "it would be fine!" I can't decide!..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,376,136 times
I don't see a problem with it if you have the room. I love to see kittys find good homes.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,260,626 times
I am not only a cat addict, I am a criminal.
The law here says I can only have three cats.
I have six.
I am forced to live a life of crime in constant fear that the cat police may come barking at my door at any moment.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:25 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,400,173 times
Fat Freddy, your post and thread is so great! I agree, they are addicting.

Now, I don't get it. You first said you have two but now you have six???

Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Now, I don't get it. You first said you have two but now you have six???
At first we had Kitty that we got from a friend's litter of kittens when a mouse ran across my wife's foot as she went out on the patio to get in the spa.

Kitty needed a friend so we adopted Smokey from PetSmart. Then we had two.

Then Fluffy came and wanted to move in with us. Kitty and Smokey didn't mind so then we had three.

Smokey caught AIDS and died so we were were back to two until Little Guy, a feral, wanted to move in and become domesticated. So then had three again.

A couple of weeks later, my wife was on her evening walk and she found Baby Girl, an abandoned kitten who followed her home. Baby Girl and Little Guy bonded instantly and Kitty and Fluffy more or less tolerated them, so now we had four.

It usually takes months, sometimes years, for the ferals to trust me enough to get close, and most of them never let me touch them, but once in a while there will be one like Little Guy who actually seems to like people.

Florie and Frankie were two more of these special ones. They were part of a feral litter of five. Their three siblings still live in the bushes, and when I take the food out for them they scatter as if I were coming out to eat them, but Florie, a small female mixed Tortie, always came over to me and rubbed on my leg and rolled around on the ground at my feet. I picked her up, brought her inside and she became number five.

It wasn't long before she talked her brother Frankie, a beautiful Orange Tabby with gold eyes, to move in. So now we have six cats.

They have all been to the vet and gotten their shots, been neutered, micro-chipped, and wear collars with name/address tags.

They all get along fine, and even Kitty and old Fluffy have accepted the four younger ones and even join in with them when they play chase and wrestle.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 05-23-2008 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM

61,284 posts, read 83,944,649 times
if you get more than 2, people will call you names
like, cat crazy. i likem too i got neighbors with cats and the kitties visit me at least 2 times a day for treats.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I have six.
I am forced to live a life of crime in constant fear that the cat police may come barking at my door at any moment.
{{FatFreddy}} You never fail to make me smile, and your advice isn't usually too bad either!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:38 PM

the cat police may come barking at my door at any moment.[/quote]

I love the Irony of this statement!

Old 05-26-2008, 02:13 AM

10,756 posts, read 34,317,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I have six.
Fat Freddy, if your wife ever tires of you, simply on the strength of your love and devotion to our feline friends, you can move in with me. I would cherish a man with so much love and sensetivity for cats.

I am addicted as well. One day I want to move outside of town and have some land, at least 10 acres so I can have more cats, I want to walk, lost in a wave of them.

I too have more pets then I am supposed to based on the laws of my community.

If you really live in a place that might get upset about how many you have, you can get a reflective film that looks like a mirror from the outside and only lets in a little light, it would keep people from seeing the sweet kitties sitting in your windows. Mine LOVE to sit and watch the less fortunate kitties that are outdoors. My deaf boy likes to sit in the window when its lightening which leaves me a bit unsettled I can tell you.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

Fat Freddy, if your wife ever tires of you, simply on the strength of your love and devotion to our feline friends, you can move in with me. I would cherish a man with so much love and sensetivity for cats.
OK, Lindsey, I'm on my way. I'll be bringing my six indoor cats and about thirty-five adult ferals, plus three litters of feral kittens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats