U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:30 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,586,912 times

Advertisements

We got him for free about 6 months ago. He is 8 and is spraying all over my apartment. I want to get rid of him, but he is my 6 year olds cat and I don't want to break his heart. I am going to get him fixed anyway, will this stop this spraying? Please help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:36 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,362,083 times
it "might" stop the spraying. Any other cats in the household? Was he feral or domesticated? Where was he living before? Did he spray at his former household? If he was a wild one he might just keep spraying out of instinct and go back to the same places. I would ask the vet who performs the surgery for his/her advice. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 PM

4,220 posts, read 14,814,777 times
Would give the kitty the benefit of the doubt, he may have a urinary tract infection or other medical problem that's recently surfaced - if all checks out and you get him neutered, he still may mark at first (takes a while for those hormones to leave) but would ask the vet for his opinion etc
PS Another thought, are you using a different litter than what he's used to in his previous home?, he may prefer the other - or possibly get another litterbox (hopefully no spraying w/ 2 but again, would check w/ your vet)

Old 05-26-2008, 12:08 AM

739 posts, read 2,069,783 times
If I had something peeing all over my house and furniture it would take me about 10 seconds to solve the problem.

I have to admit, cats are beautiful and interesting animals. I can understand why some people love them. But they're filthy, and very often so are the owners. When you go into someone's home and there's that acrid smell permeating everything, hair all over the furniture, the litter box, and you leave with cat hair stuck to your clothes...yuck!

Usually I can smell a cat owner from the smell on their clothes even out in public places. I'm so sensitized to that now,I won't have a business or personal relationship with anyone that owns cats. It just amazes me people will look the other way and live like that.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:12 AM

335 posts, read 998,546 times
Yes OP I had this problem. When male cats get a certain age they begin to get territorial and spray everything in sight and will re spray areas that you have cleaned. Getting them fixed often takes care of the problem as it did with my "Mr Whiskers" I found him in the engine of my car as some mean children were throwing rocks at him, I took him home and this the end of the story. He was about 6 weeks judging from his size. I wanted to get rid of him but he was such a survivor I could not and I am glad I did not.
Get him fixed and shampoo your carpets.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:56 AM

29,830 posts, read 49,463,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
If I had something peeing all over my house and furniture it would take me about 10 seconds to solve the problem.

I have to admit, cats are beautiful and interesting animals. I can understand why some people love them. But they're filthy, and very often so are the owners. When you go into someone's home and there's that acrid smell permeating everything, hair all over the furniture, the litter box, and you leave with cat hair stuck to your clothes...yuck!

Usually I can smell a cat owner from the smell on their clothes even out in public places. I'm so sensitized to that now,I won't have a business or personal relationship with anyone that owns cats. It just amazes me people will look the other way and live like that.
My house is very clean, thank you, and neither I nor my house stink. I use the crystal litter, which only smells if you don't change it for a month, and my cats are perfectly house-trained. Now pet hair, I have plenty of, but a lint roller & regular vacuuming solves that problem. Usually new visitors don't even realize I have cats, until one surprises them by coming around the corner... can't say the same for my dog, who's far dirtier and louder than the cats.

P.S. Only my older cat regularly uses the pan, since my younger cat prefers to go outside... and the pan is downstairs in my room's bathroom, while the living area is upstairs.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-26-2008 at 01:04 AM..

Old 05-26-2008, 01:23 AM

10,754 posts, read 34,143,189 times
I have two male cats (both fixed) and two female cats(also fixed), the only way to tell I am a cat owner is by the fur on my furniture and my clothes, and my bed.

YOu can't smell a litter box anywhere and my boys wouldn't DREAM of spraying.

One time Salem farted, he got this shocked look on his face, bent down to smell his bum and then the ground to make sure he had not shat himself and then gave himself a good cleaning. My kitties are fastidious.

Cats generally are, I would take your kitty to the Vet. There could very well be an intact male outside your apartment that is upsetting him. I know this can make an intact male spray. I believe in clipping their balls as soon as they drop. That usually heads them off at the pass.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have two male cats (both fixed) and two female cats(also fixed), the only way to tell I am a cat owner is by the fur on my furniture and my clothes, and my bed.

YOu can't smell a litter box anywhere and my boys wouldn't DREAM of spraying.

One time Salem farted, he got this shocked look on his face, bent down to smell his bum and then the ground to make sure he had not shat himself and then gave himself a good cleaning. My kitties are fastidious.

Cats generally are, I would take your kitty to the Vet. There could very well be an intact male outside your apartment that is upsetting him. I know this can make an intact male spray. I believe in clipping their balls as soon as they drop. That usually heads them off at the pass.
lol! Isnt this hilarious how could something so smelly come from such a wee beastie?

Old 05-26-2008, 01:26 AM

10,754 posts, read 34,143,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD70 View Post
lol! Isnt this hilarious how could something so smelly come from such a wee beastie?
I so wished I could have had a camera because the look of astonishment on his face was priceless. I laughed until I almost pee'd myself. The more I laughed, the more upset he looked.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I so wished I could have had a camera because the look of astonishment on his face was priceless. I laughed until I almost pee'd myself. The more I laughed, the more upset he looked.
lmao! Yes that would have been a true "Kodak moment" hee-hee! And one would think that they are simple beasties but boy are they sensitive as well as carry grudges!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats