Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times

Advertisements

About every year or so the scratching post we have for our 3 cats gets so ragged from them using it that I just replace it. I just had to do that this week and was surprised to see the price on line has come down even more. I paid about $ 75 for the first one at a Petco store and then found the same Ultimate Scratching post at Amazon for $ 46. But this time the price was even lower, $ 39 delivered to my door !

Here is how bad the old one looks compared to the new one. I think I will take the old one to my shop for our feral buddy, Mama Cat, to use.

As per protocol, Chewy had to take over the box it came in.

Ever since I started buying these posts we have not had one claw mark on our furniture, so it is well worth it to me to replace them every so often.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:23 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
That's our cat neighborhood favorite scratch post. We all have one.... or two as the case may be.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:32 AM

369 posts, read 760,165 times
Interesting, I've never seen that scratching post before. What's it made of?

Old 03-19-2014, 07:55 AM

It's the best thing since sliced bread. The package says it is made of "Fibrous woven sisal fiber" to me it looks like some sort of manufactured hemp. The nice thing is that it is 32 inches tall and our cats get to stretch way out when they scratch. They absolutely love it and they leave our furniture alone.

I notice when they are scratching on it that I will find their old nail sheaths laying at the bottom of it sometimes, so it helps them remove those too. A clerk at Petco put me onto it because we used to have leather furniture and they were destroying it. She said the problem with most scratching posts is that they are too short and cats love to stretch out when they scratch. ( I watched the cats at our shop and they stretch out on trees and car tires when they scratch, so she is right)

Petco gets about $75 for it but on Amazon it is now $39 free shipping. I wouldn't care if I had to buy one once every 6 months, it has been a furniture saver.

Don

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
This scratching post is amazing. My cat loves it. Mine is 3 years old now and it's about halfway to the first picture posted. They last a pretty long time for the price.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
Interesting, I've never seen that scratching post before. What's it made of?
This is called the Ultimate Scratching Post. It has sisal material around it, and a composite wood base and top. Very tall and sturdy. You can also unscrew the top and add padded fleece to the top so they can sit on top of it.

We have one too and it's great.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 AM

484 posts, read 761,602 times
We also have this post for Camille, and yep! It is very very loved.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:16 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
We have a scratching post that only Electra used to use-and she is declawed. We did purchased a scratching pad that we can replace the pad. It came with a feather with a bell on a stick that stuck in a hole to entice them to use it. Elvira commandeered the feather, broke the stick in half and will still carry the feather up & down the stairs. Electra will sharpen her "paws" and Elvira uses it a few times but she still would rather use the rugs.

Cat

Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This scratching post is amazing. My cat loves it. Mine is 3 years old now and it's about halfway to the first picture posted. They last a pretty long time for the price.

Yeah, we have 3 of the little urchins attacking ours, that is why it gets so beat up so fast. I mean, they REALLY get into using it and Daisy has actually shook it so hard it has toppled over, and that isn't easy to do with the big base it has and how heavy it is.

Daisy also uses it as a springboard to jump up on the TV to nap on top of the convertor box. She first jumps up on the scratching post then she jumps up to the top of the TV.

Don

Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
We have 4 different scratching posts around the house but their favorite has a wide carpet covered base with a very tall square post carpet up to about 6 inches then 2 feet of rope and then topped off with about 4 inches of carpet at the top. It has been used multiple times by 2 17 lb cats daily for 11 years and we simply remove and replace the rope about every 6 or 7 months. These cats are very big and tall- taller than our Maltese Toby but sometimes i catch Langley standing on the floor and reaching waaaay out to the bottom 6 inches to really stretch and scratch. he's weird I guess.

And it's true. Once you get your cat used to a good quality scratching post they will leave furniture alone. Unfortunately I had to sacrifice a nice upholstered chair when they were little kittens and they clawed their way up the back of this chair when i was feeding and rocking our new daughters. Crazy me I got two new adopted babies, a new dog and 2 new kittens all in about 6 months. it must have been a massive hormonal imbalance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats