Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 09:13 PM

11,198 posts, read 19,372,396 times

Advertisements

There are automatic timed feeders made specifically for wet food.

I agree a vet visit is in order though, any change in appetite or behavior can indicate an emerging health problem.

Remember that cats are masters of hiding illness and pain, so little changes like this should be investigated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 02:22 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,249,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
My cat has been waking up in the middle of the night and wants to eat. She's 9 pounds and gets 3 cans of wet food daily. She can't eat dry food (she vomits and it's disgusting) so giving kibble at night is not going to work. How can I get her to stop this?

Three of those tiny cans? Give her more.
Three of the big cans? Unless she's an adolescent going through a growth spurt, that's a whole lot of food.

Try to keep her up and active longer during the day.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:45 AM

9,240 posts, read 10,993,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Three of those tiny cans? Give her more.
Three of the big cans? Unless she's an adolescent going through a growth spurt, that's a whole lot of food.

Try to keep her up and active longer during the day.
Yeah, nine ounces/day for a 9 pounder sounds like about what I feed our insiders.

I feed our three insiders 2-3 5.5 oz and 2-3 3 oz cans a day. The five outsiders eat about 5-6 5.5 ounce cans per day.

Feeding guidelines on the cans vary. Friskies 5.5 ounce can says 3/4 to one ounce per pound of body weight per day.

Other brands say one 5.5 ounce can per 6-8 pounds body weight per day.

Fancy Feast 3 oz. can says one can per 2.5 pounds body weight per day.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Yeah, nine ounces/day for a 9 pounder sounds like about what I feed our insiders.

I feed our three insiders 2-3 5.5 oz and 2-3 3 oz cans a day. The five outsiders eat about 5-6 5.5 ounce cans per day.

Feeding guidelines on the cans vary. Friskies 5.5 ounce can says 3/4 to one ounce per pound of body weight per day.

Other brands say one 5.5 ounce can per 6-8 pounds body weight per day.

Fancy Feast 3 oz. can says one can per 2.5 pounds body weight per day.

When I fed canned I had a 9 pound male cat, very slim, who ate 6 ounces a day.

An 8 pound female cat who could only eat 3.5 ounces a day or she got too heavy. It was awful because she had food anxiety and such a small amount a day was torture to her.

A 10 pound female cat who ate 6 ounces a day. And a tiny skinny girl (the only one left now) who would consume as much as I could feed her and never gain anything because it all went right through her.

I would think 9 ounces for a 9 pound adult cat was really a lot, unless the cat has a health issue such as hyperthyroid, but that's only generally speaking. The food being fed, and the individual cat, activity, health status, all has to be considered...

Old 04-07-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
When I fed canned I had a 9 pound male cat, very slim, who ate 6 ounces a day.

An 8 pound female cat who could only eat 3.5 ounces a day or she got too heavy. It was awful because she had food anxiety and such a small amount a day was torture to her.

A 10 pound female cat who ate 6 ounces a day. And a tiny skinny girl (the only one left now) who would consume as much as I could feed her and never gain anything because it all went right through her.

I would think 9 ounces for a 9 pound adult cat was really a lot, unless the cat has a health issue such as hyperthyroid, but that's only generally speaking. The food being fed, and the individual cat, activity, health status, all has to be considered...
Well, that totals out to about 4-6 ounces per day for our insiders. I haven't weighed them but I'd guess 6-8 pounds per. I can dig up old vet bills for better weights.

It looks like about 33+ ounces per day for the outsiders, who are considerably heavier. I'd guess 10-12 pounds but my guesstimator is questionable at best. Which comes to 6.6 ounces per. Though the younger female eats less and the two most hongry males eat more.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Well, that totals out to about 4-6 ounces per day for our insiders. I haven't weighed them but I'd guess 6-8 pounds per. I can dig up old vet bills for better weights.

It looks like about 33+ ounces per day for the outsiders, who are considerably heavier. I'd guess 10-12 pounds but my guesstimator is questionable at best. Which comes to 6.6 ounces per. Though the younger female eats less and the two most hongry males eat more.

I don't think anyone has ever guessed a cat's weight accurately. Maybe a green grocer . Hard to estimate, with all that fur! I bought a baby scale 13 years ago, a very good investment. I weigh them weekly. Same time of day, before their first meal. I make note of whether they have peed or if their bladder might be full, can be a difference of 2-3 ounces.

Old 04-07-2023, 07:46 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,090,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
They work better with dry food but can be used for both, depending on which model you purchase.
Oh if they have automatic feeders that keep the wet food fresh then I would try that too. It's just the wet food will go bad so I didn't want to chance getting them sick or go hungry. They are smart enough to know when it's just the right temperature and safe to eat. If I get another cat I will look into getting one. Thank you.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:13 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,090,925 times
Quote:
There are automatic timed feeders made specifically for wet food.

I agree a vet visit is in order though, any change in appetite or behavior can indicate an emerging health problem.

Remember that cats are masters of hiding illness and pain, so little changes like this should be investigated.
Thank you

Old 04-08-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I don't think anyone has ever guessed a cat's weight accurately. Maybe a green grocer . Hard to estimate, with all that fur! I bought a baby scale 13 years ago, a very good investment. I weigh them weekly. Same time of day, before their first meal. I make note of whether they have peed or if their bladder might be full, can be a difference of 2-3 ounces.
They get weighed at the vet so I have a pretty good idea. I also have a baby scale though I haven't used it much.

Old 04-09-2023, 02:21 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,898,289 times
[quote=staystill;65086989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
If it turns out that everything is okay at the vet, then I would try an automatic feeder.[/QUOTE

I think automatic feeders are for dry food. I started out only allowing them each a half a can of the little fancy feast wet food but look back now and I think I should have gotten the bigger cans like 9Lives size. They were always hungry with half of the fancy feast. I finally learned my lesson and gave them each one full can of the little fancy feast food.

Then at night well you know from my other comment. They were so much happier and I think more satiated with one whole can each. Plus the hated the cut up rubber bands they claim was chicken. Next kitty I adopt will get boiled chicken with taurine on it. I just have to figure out how to make a nice sauce kitty friendly to stop from drying out.

That was a good idea take the cat to the vet just to make sure everything is medically ok.
I have the Catmate 500C, and I use it for wet food, because it comes with ice packs to keep the food fresh. I only use it for the rare times I won't be home for my cat's scheduled feeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats