Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 05:42 PM

1,200 posts, read 620,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It is common feline instinctive behavior (because they are prey as well as predator), and why a minimum of two litter boxes are always recommended, even for only one cat.

If this cat is overweight, dry fed and peeing outside the box she likely has very serious health issues. If the boxes are in the basement, out of sight-out of mind they are probably filthy. And the cat is probably too heavy to go up and down the stairs comfortably anyway.

This is a lot of assumptions I know, but hearing about someone neglecting their cat to this level, and just deciding they will kill her rather than help her gets my back up.

To answer the original question, (which is not likely to solve the "friend's" cat's problem) I use a blend of Dr Elsey's Ultra clay clumping litter mixed with SmartCat grass litter

And since someone mentioned "scented" my editorial comment on that is all "scented" litter should be banned. It just breaks my heart that cats are forced to toilet in some highly perfumed stench, when the reality is, keep the box clean and feed a decent wet diet, and there will be no odor from the litter box at all, rather than a stinking perfume that doesn't cover up the odor of a filthy box anyway, just adds more stink and makes it more likely the cat will avoid it.
I agree with you 100%, this is really bothering me but it's not my cat. I have no idea how often my friend cleans the boxes. I have been telling her for a long time to stop the dry food and wean the cat to wet food only. She just ignores me and tells me they are having a new roof put on their house, a new furnace to save money this winter, etc. I honestly don't know their financial situation.

My motto is if you own an animal then have the money to take care of it, vet visits included. Just like people who have children, don't have children unless you can afford to have them.

Not only should scented litter be banned, all dry food should be banned. Cats are not meant to eat dry food.

Can you tell I'm upset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 06:01 PM

2,138 posts, read 1,208,096 times
What type of kitty litter do you use???? I exclusively use Glacial Till Brand out in the back 40. No fuss no muss and I have never had to clean nor change anything

Old 05-06-2023, 06:14 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
Don't suggest they shove the (sick?)cat to a shelter like someone suggested. Keep on the owner to take kitty to the vet or maybe take the cat yourself if possible?

Old 05-06-2023, 07:31 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Don't suggest they shove the (sick?)cat to a shelter like someone suggested. Keep on the owner to take kitty to the vet or maybe take the cat yourself if possible?
She said she can't take the cat due to her cat. A shelter is preferable to termination just because the owners are buttheads. I know people like that exist, that life (other than theirs) is insignificant, and that animals are nothing or perhaps just here for our amusement, but I don't like hearing about them. It sounds like they have plenty of dough, just a bit short on the heart and soul part.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:45 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
No, my older cat wouldn't accept another cat. He was happy when his sister passed away.

What I don't understand is why would a vet put a cat down when the cat can be treated? I like my friend but I was shocked when she said to me that she was thinking of putting her cat down. Wow!

Most vets won't "euthanize for convenience" but I suppose if you look hard enough you'll find one. When my mother was dying she had two desperately ill, suffering, cats that I wanted to take to the vet and let them go but my sibs wouldn't let me, they said "mom needs them".

As soon as the funeral home came and took her body away (all was prearranged) I started going through her papers to find what vet she used. There were bills from a lot of different vets, but the most recent one was only a mile away. I called them and explained the situation and the receptionist said "we don't convenience euthanize". I said believe me, when the vet sees these cats, there will be no more talk about convenience.

They let me bring them in, and as I predicted, when the vet examined the cats, she agreed with me they needed to be let go. It was a terrible day, but I did feel relief that not only was my mother's suffering at an end, but her last two cats were, too.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:57 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100%, this is really bothering me but it's not my cat. I have no idea how often my friend cleans the boxes. I have been telling her for a long time to stop the dry food and wean the cat to wet food only. She just ignores me and tells me they are having a new roof put on their house, a new furnace to save money this winter, etc. I honestly don't know their financial situation.

My motto is if you own an animal then have the money to take care of it, vet visits included. Just like people who have children, don't have children unless you can afford to have them.

Not only should scented litter be banned, all dry food should be banned. Cats are not meant to eat dry food.

Can you tell I'm upset?

Agree with you completely. It is upsetting. I rarely read in this forum any more because I just can't stand it. I have a friend who won't feed wet, and uses scented litter. I've given my opinion on both, but she isn't interested. Other than that she is well cared for, taken to the vet when needed and so forth but still....

Her young cat is a happy friendly girl, beautiful markings, but her coat is rough, dry and greasy looking at the same time. I often wonder, can't she see the difference between my cats' coats and hers? But she just won't feed wet, just some cheap crappy kibble that sits in the dish all day going rancid. And the cat, now almost two, is starting to get a little too heavy from the carb laden diet. It just makes me so sad, because this cat is really an exceptional specimen of catliness.

I am her "next of kin guardian" should something happen to my friend. Of course I don't want anything to happen to my friend, but I can't help thinking about what that cat's coat would be like on a raw diet.

When my (adult) nephew adopted two male kittens a couple years ago, my sister who is besotted with them, kept remarking on the difference in their coats and my cats' coats. I asked her what he was feeding and she said she didn't know, some kibble or other.

I gave her some links and talked about the importance of low carb and high moisture in the feline diet. She convinced her son to put them on a wet diet and they were so amazed at the difference in the cats, thankfully, they've kept it up. Now, if only he would clean the litter box more often (according to my sister)

Old 05-07-2023, 09:23 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Most vets won't "euthanize for convenience" but I suppose if you look hard enough you'll find one. When my mother was dying she had two desperately ill, suffering, cats that I wanted to take to the vet and let them go but my sibs wouldn't let me, they said "mom needs them".

As soon as the funeral home came and took her body away (all was prearranged) I started going through her papers to find what vet she used. There were bills from a lot of different vets, but the most recent one was only a mile away. I called them and explained the situation and the receptionist said "we don't convenience euthanize". I said believe me, when the vet sees these cats, there will be no more talk about convenience.

They let me bring them in, and as I predicted, when the vet examined the cats, she agreed with me they needed to be let go. It was a terrible day, but I did feel relief that not only was my mother's suffering at an end, but her last two cats were, too.
Condolences on your losses. I bet your mother was overjoyed to have her pals show up so quickly, I think I let Molly go too long but it's so hard to let go.

But suffering is suffering and I've known a few people over the years who would have welcomed a visit from Dr. Kevorkian. "Sometimes the game ain't worth the candle," my father said more than once as he struggled his way to passing at 91 1/2.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:39 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:

Can you tell I'm upset?
I've read though the other posts and this is a frustrating situation. :-(

An easy thing to try is to add another box that is NOT in the basement, but on the main floor. Something may have happened in the basement that upset/scared the cat and he doesn't feel safe using those boxes anymore.

Yeah, it sounds like this kitty needs a vet checkup too. . .

Old 05-08-2023, 08:58 AM

1,200 posts, read 620,222 times
I've been talking to her, emailing with her, and she just doesn't get it. I sent her articles regarding cats with diabetes, video's, etc.

Then I found an older email from her stating that her vet (the last time she took her cat) told her if her cat doesn't lose weight she will get diabetes. I met her cat about 1 year ago and the cat is not overly obese but overweight for sure. It's that dry kibble. Her and her husband do feed her fancy feast but that's not the main meal. They think they are making their cat happy.

Then my friend tells me that her cat does not have diabetes but is being destructive on purpose.

I did mention to put the box upstairs and then my friend tells me then her cat will pee all over the carpet.

I don't know what to say anymore. We live in a very small rural town and there are not many vets around here just enough since there are many farm animals around. I really doubt the vet would put her cat down without giving the cat a checkup first and letting my friend know her cat has diabetes.

I really don't want to argue with her. I would drive over to her house but since I'm a full time caregiver I can't leave my elderly mother alone. I am in the process of getting someone to stay with my Mom so I can get respite care.

Last but not least I did buy her the grass litter (she doesn't know it yet) and that will arrive at her house tomorrow.

Old 05-08-2023, 04:53 PM

493 posts, read 326,157 times
My cat will do #1 and #2 in the same box. I use ScoopAway, but I don't think that's the problem.

Medical reasons cats will pee outside the box:

Bladder stones
Idiopathic cystitis
Metabolic disease
Urinary tract infection

Behavioral reasons:

Dirty litter box
Stress
Old urine smells

I would really want to know how often and how thoroughly your friend cleans the litter box. You're supposed to completely change all of the litter and wash the box as often as every few weeks (I do it every few months).

Pets are not disposable! Would she put a child up for adoption because it had a few accidents? I would be frustrated too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats