Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 04:42 PM

9,488 posts, read 11,253,748 times

Advertisements

Our sweet baby River has been losing weight and slowing down. Granted, she's 19+ But still...

I took her to a vet--one of four I used during Molly's terminal illness--and he said he thinks she has bone cancer vs the kidney disease I suspected.

They ran a blood panel but never gave it to me or sent it to me. So I will call them tomorrow, there's no excuse for that. Usually blood work comes back pretty quickly so I don't get the delay, unless the doc got his ego bruised because I took Molly to several vets. None of whom nailed her dx BTW. As I mentioned in the ongoing saga, several months ago I was watching Dr. Pol and a critter--I think a cow but I'm not sure--came in with a nasty red bloody looking eye like Molly's.

"Oh, that's cancer eye." Dr. Pol.

At any rate, bottom line here is the doc prescribed Prednisone and Famotidine. I should have pushed things further while at the vet's but I didn't, because if I even succeed in getting a pill popped into River's throat as the vet folks do, it won't be long before she takes a hike when she sees me starting to get ready to medicate. And I've not had success in popping pills into kitties' throats over the years.

So...does anyone know of a smell-masking gel or something or other I could use to disguise River's meds in her food? And I ask now, why on earth did he not give her an appetite stimulant? One or two other cats were given appetite stimulants.

A google turns up Purina FortiFlora probiotic but that says it's for diarrhea but AFAIK she's pooping OK.

Our poor sweet snuggle baby is shrinking away, I'd like to get her nourished as much as possible. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 06:54 AM

5,614 posts, read 6,557,598 times
So sorry you are in the "processes" of another beloved cat. My heart always got a little heavy with all my pets when they turned 7 years old, because this is the "peak" age. All my house pets, dogs and cats, passed by 13 except my last one, a Boston Terrier who was just shy of 16.

You are blessed to have River at her ripe old age. Me, I'd wait for the result of the blood work, then discuss options with the Vet. I already know what I would do if she had cancer.....when she reached the "quality of life" marker.

I worked as a receptionist in a vet's office for awhile, I always comforted those who had to put to sleep their beloved dog or cat by telling them it is "the ultimate act of love" to make that decision.

Wishing you wisdom and peace as you come to your decision. Hugs.......

Old 08-14-2023, 08:20 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,950,840 times
You could use Fortiflora. It doesn't have a lot of probiotics from what I've read, and probiotics certainly won't hurt her.

How about a little bit of tuna juice or chicken baby food? Or smash it into a bit of a canned sardine?

Old 08-14-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
So sorry you are in the "processes" of another beloved cat. My heart always got a little heavy with all my pets when they turned 7 years old, because this is the "peak" age. All my house pets, dogs and cats, passed by 13 except my last one, a Boston Terrier who was just shy of 16.

You are blessed to have River at her ripe old age. Me, I'd wait for the result of the blood work, then discuss options with the Vet. I already know what I would do if she had cancer.....when she reached the "quality of life" marker.

I worked as a receptionist in a vet's office for awhile, I always comforted those who had to put to sleep their beloved dog or cat by telling them it is "the ultimate act of love" to make that decision.

Wishing you wisdom and peace as you come to your decision. Hugs.......
The blood panel is a complete mystery to me because there are very few bar graphs and NO key to any of the various abbreviations. Typically these panels will have explanations/keys because otherwise it might as well be in Greek.

I spoke via email with a vet employee and didn't get much help. I suppose some offices either like to keep these blood panels a mystery to the owners or are just too stupid to understand that various collections of three letters--like various US agencies--are meaningless to most people.

I don't know if an X-ray would have helped in the "I suspect bone cancer" semi-diagnoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
You could use Fortiflora. It doesn't have a lot of probiotics from what I've read, and probiotics certainly won't hurt her.

How about a little bit of tuna juice or chicken baby food? Or smash it into a bit of a canned sardine?
What are the bennies of Fortiflora? She doesn't have diarrhea AFAIK. She does pee regularly, I put down pee pee pads because he pee habits changed recently. The minus side is it's weird that she started peeing on rugs, the plus is I can keep pretty good track of her volume and regularity of peeing. Stii, odd.

I haven't tried chicken baby food but I've seen it talked about enough, so I'll give it a shot. Tomorrow I should be able to pick up a scrip of liquid Prednisolone because while it's a breeze for the vet's staff to pop a pill into kitty, for me it's not. For starters I don't have three or four hands.

I'll keep you all posted. Right after River got her Pred and Famotidine doses at the vet, when we got home she came to me, got in my lap, and snoozed for several hours. She hasn't done that in a while, she pretty much isolates in the living room whereas she used to sleep with me and snuggle all night.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:12 AM

5,023 posts, read 10,741,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Our sweet baby River has been losing weight and slowing down. Granted, she's 19+ But still...

I took her to a vet--one of four I used during Molly's terminal illness--and he said he thinks she has bone cancer vs the kidney disease I suspected.

They ran a blood panel but never gave it to me or sent it to me. So I will call them tomorrow, there's no excuse for that. Usually blood work comes back pretty quickly so I don't get the delay, unless the doc got his ego bruised because I took Molly to several vets. None of whom nailed her dx BTW. As I mentioned in the ongoing saga, several months ago I was watching Dr. Pol and a critter--I think a cow but I'm not sure--came in with a nasty red bloody looking eye like Molly's.

"Oh, that's cancer eye." Dr. Pol.

At any rate, bottom line here is the doc prescribed Prednisone and Famotidine. I should have pushed things further while at the vet's but I didn't, because if I even succeed in getting a pill popped into River's throat as the vet folks do, it won't be long before she takes a hike when she sees me starting to get ready to medicate. And I've not had success in popping pills into kitties' throats over the years.

So...does anyone know of a smell-masking gel or something or other I could use to disguise River's meds in her food? And I ask now, why on earth did he not give her an appetite stimulant? One or two other cats were given appetite stimulants.

A google turns up Purina FortiFlora probiotic but that says it's for diarrhea but AFAIK she's pooping OK.

Our poor sweet snuggle baby is shrinking away, I'd like to get her nourished as much as possible. Thanks for any suggestions.
This vet does not sound reputable. I’ve never had a vet not contact me either via email or phone to discuss labs and recommendations re: treatment, and the labs have always been straightforward.

And, if it is bone cancer, labs are not going to tell you much—you need to get X-rays (and the vet needs to tell you where he thinks the cancer is in her body).

I also don’t understand the Prednisoe and Famotidine treatment if this is bone cancer. Prednisone is typically used for inflammation caused by an overactive immune system and Famotidine is for GERD. I’m not a vet but I’ve known dogs with bone cancer and they are usually prescribed something for pain management and an appetite stimulant. But maybe it’s different for cats. And, again, I’m not a vet.

If I were in your shoes, I would not treat River with prescription meds until you get a more definitive diagnosis.

Last edited by StarlaJane; 08-15-2023 at 04:22 AM..

Old 08-15-2023, 08:29 PM

37,260 posts, read 41,476,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
This vet does not sound reputable. I’ve never had a vet not contact me either via email or phone to discuss labs and recommendations re: treatment, and the labs have always been straightforward.

And, if it is bone cancer, labs are not going to tell you much—you need to get X-rays (and the vet needs to tell you where he thinks the cancer is in her body).

I also don’t understand the Prednisoe and Famotidine treatment if this is bone cancer. Prednisone is typically used for inflammation caused by an overactive immune system and Famotidine is for GERD. I’m not a vet but I’ve known dogs with bone cancer and they are usually prescribed something for pain management and an appetite stimulant. But maybe it’s different for cats. And, again, I’m not a vet.

If I were in your shoes, I would not treat River with prescription meds until you get a more definitive diagnosis.
There is inflammation associated with cancer. Steroids can help make a pet feel better. However, steroids can also cause stomach irritation, which is the reason for the famotidine.

https://www.ethosvet.com/blog-post/u...ding-steroids/

"Steroids are commonly used in the treatment protocols of the following diseases: Lymphoma, Mast Cell Tumors and Histiocytic Sarcoma. Steroids will also be used to help increase your pets’ appetite and aid in reducing inflammation of various tumor types.

If your pet is on steroid therapy, it is common for them to also be receiving Pepcid (famotidine) or Prilosec (omeprazole) as an aid to prevent any gastrointestinal irritation."

Old 08-16-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is inflammation associated with cancer. Steroids can help make a pet feel better. However, steroids can also cause stomach irritation, which is the reason for the famotidine.

"Steroids are commonly used in the treatment protocols of the following diseases: Lymphoma, Mast Cell Tumors and Histiocytic Sarcoma. Steroids will also be used to help increase your pets’ appetite and aid in reducing inflammation of various tumor types.

If your pet is on steroid therapy, it is common for them to also be receiving Pepcid (famotidine) or Prilosec (omeprazole) as an aid to prevent any gastrointestinal irritation."
Thanks, Suzy. Great info, although I see nothing in this ^^^^ explanation that says that steroids are commonly used for bone cancer (ie. osteosarcomas.)

Moreover, I'm still concerned that there are no x-rays confirming the diagnosis of bone cancer.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I have my questions about him and will seek a second opinion. I don't know if he took it personally that I sought another opinion when Molly was her red cancer eye.

This guy had not a clue and gave her eye drops. With 20-20 hindsight I'd say the MINIMUM is biopsy and probably removal and biopsy. She got the biopsy but at age 19 going under again for the removal, she was having trouble. You have to be very very careful with anesthesia at elevated ages.

River did GREAT after one dose of each. We had lap time, she was her old self for a few hours. So the pred had some sort of positive effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Thanks for that, suzy_q. River is already leery of me after just one attempt at getting a pill down. The only way she's going to get meds is if I take her to the vet.

Quote:
Thanks, Suzy. Great info, although I see nothing in this ^^^^ explanation that says that steroids are commonly used for bone cancer (ie. osteosarcomas.)

Moreover, I'm still concerned that there are no x-rays confirming the diagnosis of bone cancer.
Yes that makes me wonder. I have less and less confidence in this guy, this cries for a second opinion but I fear unless River goes inpatient for a day or two she'll continue to decline because she's not going to let me get meds down her.

She was always very shy, it took 6-8 weeks of jiggling a kitty toy in front of her hideout under the couch before she'd even come out, when we first adopted her.
At the shelter she stayed isolated and hidden and slept all the time. She had four different parasites when we had her poop examined. So she's got history. She lived by a river, hence her name.

Old 08-16-2023, 07:26 PM

Well, I’m glad that the meds are making her feel better—that’s a step in the right direction.

Re: the meds, maybe pill pockets? The extreme solution is to burrito her. But I get it—sometimes, catching them is the hardest part. However, cats aren’t stupid. Hopefully, River will realize the meds are helping her and will get used to the process, which you should make as pleasurable as possible by giving treats (and pets) before and after. That might make it easier for both of you.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:20 PM

37,260 posts, read 41,476,925 times
Quote:

The treatment is nonspecific. The kind of cancer does not have to be determined.

The vet is probably weighing the risk of sedation for testing versus the gain of information. If the cat has osteosarcoma then there is really no treatment you would want to consider in view of the pet's age. The steroid may temporarily improve quality of life, though it appears administration is a problem. Injections might be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats