Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 10:52 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times

Advertisements

Our oldest cat has chronic pancreatic, heart and kidney issues. Combined, when flaring, they cause him to vomit basically daily and lose appetite. It's well-documented and will not change for the rest of his time with us. He has been on Cerenia to treat the symptoms (Mirataz works too, but gives him the runs as a delightful side effect we only discovered as he got older) for the past decade. Because during his time with us we've moved often, it's not always been practical for us to retain the same vet. The most recent clinic that has seen him is now 20 miles away. But the one thing that has followed him through all the moves is his extensive medical history and notes that Cerenia is basically the only thing that works for him.

I've always ordered it from Chewy. Never before had this come up as an issue until now, but this particular vet has refused to send prescriptions to Chewy electronically. Their reasoning: "Well, we've called them in before and had issues, so now we require paper copies so there are no misunderstandings." I never said anything about calling things in, but they've e-mailed me stuff numerous times before - stands to reason they can do likewise with Chewy, or fax. Can't be more difficult than printing out a prescription and mailing it to me, so I have to think other factors are in play here (they sell Cerenia, too, at a slight markup to Chewy). Furthermore, they have said that they absolutely must have an annual expiration date on it because, by law, they're required to see the cat once a year (in spite of the fact that, other things being equal, there's no real reason for it, as this is a condition he's had, has and will always have). I have no idea how true this is, so, I guess, my beef may be with both the law and the vet.

This is not a narcotic. This is a pill intended to stop my cat puking and losing weight. In spite of the fact that I take the cat to the vet WAY more often than once a year, I don't think I should be required to do so, off-cadence, just to renew a prescription. It's extra money out of my pocket and unnecessary distress for an animal that's already not well.

Maybe someone can explain to me all the ways in which I'm being unreasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 05:34 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I can't think of any. I would have the same reaction and had to go through some hassle with a paper prescription and how long it took to arrive in Fla for a WalMart script for my cat.

As far as the law, my ENT (mine, not my cat's) says I have to show up every 18 mos or so by law. Either covering their butts or making money, but I guess I know who lobbied to have those laws put into place.

Can you find another vet? The vet that sold meds here sold old ones - chewables that I had to melt in boiling water because they were so unchewable.

Old 09-08-2023, 07:37 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Unfortunately, I've heard the same thing re: having to see a patient every year (try having your doctor hold your birth control hostage until you come in for a pap smear). It sucks when it's something stupid, but, it's just the way things work.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Some states require that for certain prescriptions written or fulfilled in that states, a VCPR must be in place. Veterinarians normally decide based on the standards of ethical care when an examination is required for the medical condition and/or medication being prescribed. However, if the State has a requirement, it's not up to them anymore.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:19 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Among the vets in my area, there is a lot of resistance to using Chewy, Walmart, or any online source. I believe they (the vets) are accustomed to making that extra profit off drug (and food and supplement) sales. It seems to me to be more a matter of preference (the vet's) than anything else. My current vet does the written-scrip-only thing. If I didn't really like her, I'd switch vets. I've done that before.

Old 09-09-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Among the vets in my area, there is a lot of resistance to using Chewy, Walmart, or any online source. I believe they (the vets) are accustomed to making that extra profit off drug (and food and supplement) sales. It seems to me to be more a matter of preference (the vet's) than anything else. My current vet does the written-scrip-only thing. If I didn't really like her, I'd switch vets. I've done that before.
Interestingly, in most cases the vets don't actually charge a materially different amount - you basically pay a 5-10% premium (if that) for not having to wait for your stuff. But I can understand the resistance - though they don't make a ton of money on it, they still do make a little and they'd much rather they make it than Chewy, of course. I get it - but they don't need to be underhanded about it and make things unnecessarily difficult, with a BS premise, to boot.

Old 09-09-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Some states require that for certain prescriptions written or fulfilled in that states, a VCPR must be in place. Veterinarians normally decide based on the standards of ethical care when an examination is required for the medical condition and/or medication being prescribed. However, if the State has a requirement, it's not up to them anymore.
Yeah, which is why I am not just upset with the vet - it's the law that enables this. What I don't understand is why the law is so inflexible. I get it for controlled substances and medications that are truly in short supply, but not for flippin' Cerenia. FWIW, I wouldn't think of just asking any vet for such a script - these guys have seen the cat and they've known he's had these issues for years. My biggest issue with the vet specifically is the refusal to send it electronically. It's 2023, ffs.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Can you find another vet? The vet that sold meds here sold old ones - chewables that I had to melt in boiling water because they were so unchewable.
Yeah, I've already moved all their records to a new place. But I'm guessing that, apart from maybe being more flexible with how they deliver the scripts (and being a ten-minute, rather than a 45-minute, drive away), they're still going to insist on seeing the cat before renewing.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Unfortunately, I've heard the same thing re: having to see a patient every year (try having your doctor hold your birth control hostage until you come in for a pap smear). It sucks when it's something stupid, but, it's just the way things work.
Hugs. Yeah, that really blows.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:03 PM

On an unrelated (well, semi-related) note - are vets in the U.S. required to do a heart exam of an animal before sedation? I know it's a requirement in certain places in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats