Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,858 times

Advertisements

Do you have any small things you do to interest and delight your cat friend? Just the little things.

As the weather is getting very hot and humid this week in my home town, I start putting several ice cubes in Patrick's water bowl when I'm in the kitchen. Like many others here have written about, my kitty is fascinated by water. And he investigates any new thing by carefully and thoroughly smelling it.

When he encounters the ice cubes floating, he approaches carefully with his tail going FLIP! FLIP! FLIP! I think tail flips mean, "what the heck??!" or are the equivalent of exclamation marks in comics.

After careful examination he enjoys a long cool drink. He loves to get a bowl of fresh cool water. He will be 18 years old next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 06:44 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
All I really need to do is just to talk to he & she is so pleased. She rolls over and does this little dance. I guess I am out of the house a lot , working and I do not do that enough & the poor old girl gets lonely.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,285 times
Two words... laser pointer.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:17 AM

36 posts, read 134,947 times
well my kitty follows me around all day long like a dog, and meows at me for attention, so i pick her up from time to time and hold her tight (she does this cute squeak noise when i pick her up).
I get her a small squeaky rat from time to time witch she enjoys tearing appart

Old 06-07-2008, 09:20 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
I grow kitty grass for her. Also got her a new sisal scratch pad which has a place for catnip. She loves catnip and her new scratch pad, stretches out and lays on it throughout the day.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
One of my cats LOVES milk jug rings. Another thinks cardboard boxes of all sizes are pretty wonderful. Each one is different and you just have to keep trying.

One likes the feathers on a stick and another loves a cat tunnel.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:05 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,797 times
Buster (who is 2 1/2) eats hard kibble. As he eats, pieces break and fall out of his mouth and back into the bowl. He eats the whole pieces but won't go back and eat the little pieces. His food is very expensive, so I hate to waste it!

One day, I made some tea and took some of the hot water and pour a little into the food dish with broken pieces. It soaked and cooled a bit and then I gave it to him. He LOVED it! (He likes gravy!) Since then, I'll come home and find small toys, like his mice or foam balls, all soggy and sitting in his food dish. He tries to make it himself! Sometimes these things are still floating in the water dish because he couldn't get them out to put into the food dish!

A small thing I do for him is to let him play with the plastic caps from my water bottles. He loves them. He likes it when I just spend time with him. We play hide-and-seek. He's "it" first. I will hide and he searches for me. Sometimes I'm too good at hiding and have to come out! Then I let him hide and he does. It's taken me a few minutes to find him at times, too!

He likes to play tag, too. I come home from work and, when he wants to play, will run and jump at me, bouncing off my waist and run away. I have to cooperate or he'll poo on the bathroom rug to show his annoyance.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:08 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,175 times
Same here. Best cat toy ever invented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Two words... laser pointer.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:07 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Do you have any small things you do to interest and delight your cat friend? Just the little things.

As the weather is getting very hot and humid this week in my home town, I start putting several ice cubes in Patrick's water bowl when I'm in the kitchen. Like many others here have written about, my kitty is fascinated by water. And he investigates any new thing by carefully and thoroughly smelling it.

When he encounters the ice cubes floating, he approaches carefully with his tail going FLIP! FLIP! FLIP! I think tail flips mean, "what the heck??!" or are the equivalent of exclamation marks in comics.

After careful examination he enjoys a long cool drink. He loves to get a bowl of fresh cool water. He will be 18 years old next month.
I do the ice cubes as well!!! My oldest really appreciates it. My youngest kind of ponders and looks at the ice float, then she take a sip and keeps on drinking. Another thing I do is open the blinds- a small thing I know but living in an apt they don't go outside and they love to sun bathe. On the weekends I open the blinds and you should see them. They run to the windows and take a peek. Then they lay on the floor and let the sun rays do their magic...oh yeah...they LOVE fresh, newly poured litter. Of course I do this weekly, but they have fights over who will "use" the fresh litter first. Its quite entertaining.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanFluffy View Post
well my kitty follows me around all day long like a dog, and meows at me for attention, so i pick her up from time to time and hold her tight (she does this cute squeak noise when i pick her up).
Same here! Mine is all over me. In the morning biting at my calves to make sure I don't forget his breakfast or any other time weaving between my legs and head butting me for attention. He isn't a lap cat but will stretch up and bat at my arms when I'm sitting at my desk and he wants to be held. A few minutes of belly rubbing later and he done with that and ready to go find somewhere to nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
One of my cats LOVES milk jug rings. Another thinks cardboard boxes of all sizes are pretty wonderful. Each one is different and you just have to keep trying.
I can't leave anything laying around in my place. Pen tops, milk rings, water bottle caps, rubber bands, paper clips, pens, adapters, etc. Pretty much anything that can be batted around I will find on the hard floors of the bathroom or kitchen. When he is feeling particularly adventurous they end up in the bath tub which is like his amusement park, lol. Get something small and plastic in there and he's busy for hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats