U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 AM

1,819 posts, read 7,384,738 times

Advertisements

I realize I need to take him to a vet, but I can’t until tomorrow. Here are the symptoms I’ve noticed:

Swollen cheek under his left eye – noticed this on Friday or so.

Lethargy – he used to get up with me in the morning, now he stays in bed. Been going on for a week or so.

Irritability – he’s always been very tolerant with the kids. Yesterday when eating, he growled and hissed and then ran under the bed, where he stayed for 4 hours.

I’m not sure what’s going on. I’m wondering if he got bit by a black widow or something. He does like to chase and swat at bugs. Any other possibilities?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,759,597 times
Sounds like it's some sort of injury. Perhaps it's an abscess? I'd keep him somewhere quiet and away from the kids until he sees the vet. Please let us know what's up after the vet visit.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,492,503 times
My cat had an abscess and behaved similarly to what you described. We couldn't figure out where he got his either - I was guessing he got bitten by a brown recluse, but I'll never know. Please let us know how the vet visit turns out and what they have to say.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 PM

9,238 posts, read 21,132,421 times
This has happened with two of our cats, and both times, it was an infected tooth. The rest of our cats have healthy teeth, but this particular brother and sister inherited genes for bad teeth I guess. They both had to have teeth pulled, followed by antibiotics for a week. Then they had to go in once a year to be sedated and have their teeth cleaned.

The behavior you describe it exactly what our cats displayed. The teeth hurt, especially when they try to chew, and it makes them very hissy & mean.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 PM

73 posts, read 187,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This has happened with two of our cats, and both times, it was an infected tooth. The rest of our cats have healthy teeth, but this particular brother and sister inherited genes for bad teeth I guess. They both had to have teeth pulled, followed by antibiotics for a week. Then they had to go in once a year to be sedated and have their teeth cleaned.

The behavior you describe it exactly what our cats displayed. The teeth hurt, especially when they try to chew, and it makes them very hissy & mean.
Their breath stinks also. The teeth would be the most common reason for what you described. Though the spider bite is possible. Recluses are prefer dry areas so if kitty was sniffing in dry such as an attic, it could happen. I have had cats for 60 years. "Certain ones' seem drawn into getting into trouble. Go figure. Let us know how it works out.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:12 PM

672 posts, read 5,632,027 times
I agree that it could be an absessed tooth. This same thing happened to our cat, who was 8 years old. How old is your cat?

All of a sudden, he developed a swelling under one eye. At first, we thought the other cat scratched his eye, because the swelling was so sudden, and the swelling was more under the eye than the cheek, and his third eyelid was out. But then we realized that the swelling was affecting the entire cheek as well. We took him to the ER vet, who diagnosed an abscess. The next day he got the tooth removed, however, oddly, the vet said there actually was no abscess on x-ray. The tooth was very loose in that area, but not technically abscessed. This cat had had a long history of tooth and gum disease, however.

Also, we think that the abscessed tooth caused a raging internal infection for several weeks before the symptom of the swelling occurred. He had been vomiting a few weeks prior, and when we took him to the vet because of the persistent vomiting, the vet said they didn't know why he was vomiting because all his lab tests came back clear except for a high white count, which indicated an infection, but at that point we didn't think that a tooth problem could be the cause--we didn't know why he had a high white blood cell count.

The long and short of it is that we believe the vomiting was directly related to the abscessed tooth, which ended up causing a massive internal infection (even though the tooth was removed two days after we noticed the swelling) that spread to his lungs and caused pnemonia, which he unfortunately ended up dying from a short time later, even though he was on antibiototic therapy.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:22 PM

1,819 posts, read 7,384,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I agree that it could be an absessed tooth. This same thing happened to our cat, who was 8 years old. How old is your cat?

All of a sudden, he developed a swelling under one eye. At first, we thought the other cat scratched his eye, because the swelling was so sudden, and the swelling was more under the eye than the cheek, and his third eyelid was out. But then we realized that the swelling was affecting the entire cheek as well. We took him to the ER vet, who diagnosed an abscess. The next day he got the tooth removed, however, oddly, the vet said there actually was no abscess on x-ray. The tooth was very loose in that area, but not technically abscessed. This cat had had a long history of tooth and gum disease, however.

Also, we think that the abscessed tooth caused a raging internal infection for several weeks before the symptom of the swelling occurred. He had been vomiting a few weeks prior, and when we took him to the vet because of the persistent vomiting, the vet said they didn't know why he was vomiting because all his lab tests came back clear except for a high white count, which indicated an infection, but at that point we didn't think that a tooth problem could be the cause--we didn't know why he had a high white blood cell count.

The long and short of it is that we believe the vomiting was directly related to the abscessed tooth, which ended up causing a massive internal infection (even though the tooth was removed two days after we noticed the swelling) that spread to his lungs and caused pnemonia, which he unfortunately ended up dying from a short time later, even though he was on antibiototic therapy.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have the vet check out his teeth. Our cat is only a year and a half old. My wife said the swelling is down today, but he is still irritable. Very unusual for his temperment -- usually extremely friendly and tolerant.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:19 PM

113 posts, read 620,179 times
I have several cats. The number has varied over the past ten years from one to around fifteen. Eratic behavior comes from many causes. First I'd carefully check him over myself, going all over his anatomy from one end to the other, then I'd take him to see the vet. Not all vets are the same! It pays to know a few things about your vet..., just in case..., and you want to check his/her track record thru your state run veterinary medical board.

It could be a bug bite. Maybe a bug bite in his paw? Distemper. An energy burst, or lack of energy can also be detrimental too! I've lost one of mine because I didn't recognize her vital signs soon enough! With cats, they like to hide their illnesses! So, being sensitive and alert is key here!

I like to keep mine inside, away from outside germs. They're used to it by now. Dental problems are also another cause. Check this with your vet. Or, it could be that your cat has come in contact with something that has poisoned his system and you don't realize it yet. Are his eyes clear? How about his breathing? I'd get him to a vet soon, where you can stop guessing and know what the problem is.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a bug bite or an infected laceration. Maybe a scratch from something sharp in your home. At only a year and a half, his teeth should be in pretty good condition. But that's only a guess.

Another cause..., what you feed your cat may impact his/her disposition and health.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 07-21-2008 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: aditional info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats