Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,130 times

Advertisements

My cat is 3 years old and has been an indoor/outdoor cat his whole life. He loves the outdoors (has his own door) and only comes in to sleep and eat or if it's raining.

We will be moving soon and there's a possibility it may be an apt/townhouse for about a year (we are relocating to new state) and he will not be able to have his "own door" and I will not just leave him out.

How do you think he will respond to no longer being aloud outside?

I have a younger cat who goes in/out too, but she's mostly inside.

Last edited by tagylyn; 08-03-2008 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:36 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times
I've done it. Cats are so much better off indoors. Be firm and never give in. I moved into a townhouse, too, and it had a basement and an attached garage. When my cat wanted to go out so bad that it would drive me crazy I'd let him out in the basement or garage to explore - with the big door shut, of course, so he couldn't get outside.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:56 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I have adopted 2 strays who came around my house and both were fine being indoor cats. One would hover around the door at times but he ne ver cried at the door or windows.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I'm betting he's going to be none too happy about being kept indoors...but stay strong! He will be so much safer. I tried it once...years ago..and the cat drove me bonkers with his howling...He wanted OUT! They say once they get a taste of the outdoors, they will always want to be let out for a roam. My guys now, all 5, have never had a taste for being outside, so they don't know what they are missing. Not a one of them ever even tries to get out

Old 08-03-2008, 01:25 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
I did this with my cat Merlin (RIP) once I finished college and could have him again with me. We had had him since he was a stray when he was only a few months old. He had been indoor/outdoor the whole 10 years of his life...but I wanted him to be purely indoor for many saftey reasons. His vision started to change and he didn't have any concept of danger...he trusted anyone and all animals. Merlin threw many fits, cried and yelled at me. I agree with an earlier poster...don't give in...BE FIRM. It took months for his resentment to go completely away. I didn't care, it bought me another 5 years with him. I know he wouldn't have lived that long if he were indoor/outdoor.

Kudos for making the decision. It will bring you added years with your loving furry babies!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:10 PM

95 posts, read 323,519 times
Allow him to perch near a window that has a good view of the street. That may help. Even if he can't go outside, at least a lack of stimulation won't kill him.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:19 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Lots of toys...a cat tree...(or 2) and a bird feeder sitting right outside a window that they can sit at keeps my guys all entertained.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm worried about him falling into a depression. He had once for about 2 weeks but that was when the eldest kitty passed on 4 months ago.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Have you considered a harness and leash training him? I am a FIRM indoor kitty person too, but it CAN be done if you have one that is adamant about going outside once in awhile. (Like mine )

My "girls" were raised indoors and were terrified anytime they had to leave the house. But my boy was an outdoor kitty who was abandoned. He is now almost 5 years old and he still loves his "outside time" The girls would always watch him from inside like he was crazy!

He goes out for a short time several times a day in his harness on a 15ft lead attached to my door. We have a fenced yard and I always ALWAYS leave the doors and windows open so I can hear if another animal gets in the yard. (It has only happened once and I think that poor dog was permanently traumatized by the screaming cat and the crazy lady who flew out the door screaming louder than the cat!! )

I made sure that there is nothing he can get tangled in, or jump over. When I have the time I just take him for a walk (just like a dog. ) He loves it and I don't have to listen to his non-stop complaining!

One happy but SAFE kitty:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/toes1.jpg (broken link)

Notice the tongue hanging out...pure bliss!
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/toes3.jpg (broken link)

Yes, he has to be brushed before he comes back in!
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/toes2.jpg (broken link)

Harness training takes time and patience...start with very short periods and take him outside EVERY time you put it on him... pretty soon he will learn that if he wants out he has to put on the harness.

Mine walks to the door now and yowls to go out, when I slip the harness over his head he steps into the leg section on his own and waits for me to snap it.

Never leave him outdoors attached to a lead unsupervised! If anything happens he would be trapped and unable to run away.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks, I will definately look into that!

Your boy is so cute!!

Rolling in the grass, mine do that all the time, in the dirt, grass and sidewalk. I don't know what it means to them but they love it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats