Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 04:18 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times

Advertisements

my little kitten that I just got from a lady who is a rescue woman and seems really nice and familiar with kittens/cats let me take otto my new kitten home last night. I am worried that I just read that kitten should stay with mom for at least 12 weeks, well otto is only 7 or 8 at most! Why would she let me take otto home. I did say otto is so small is this too early to her but she said otto can eat off milk and used box so can go. Now I am worried I read on this board I will have behavior problems, should I call her or work with what problems arise. I dont want to have a kitten or cat that grows up with problems I want to give otto the best chance possible. WHat should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
I never heard the 12 weeks thing. We adopted my parents' cat at 11 weeks, and she was one of the oldest ones going (aside from full-grown cats). Her only issue is that she's shy and a little nervous around anyone but my parents and grandmother, but that's not necessarily because she didn't have her mother around. My cat I adopted at around 5 or 6 weeks, I think, because at 1 lb she was definitely not the 3+ months the shelter claimed. Her only issue is that she likes to play a little too aggressively. Beyond that, she's a perfect cat. Again, this could or could not have something to do with her being taken away at a young age.

If you're concerned, you can talk to the woman or a vet (for a 2nd opinion). Mine told me that many shelters/rescues like to get the kittens out as fast as possible, since there's a higher risk of disease when they're around all the other animals. Especially in my cat's case, where the mother wasn't there, they're often better off going to a home.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:28 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Many breeders keep their cats for up to 16 weeks. But 7-8 weeks, is no problem. Otto should have no problems....just take it slow. Keep him in a safe room when you are not around, and then slowly "open up his world" to him. He will begin to venture further and further out into the house as he feels comfortable.
I would take him to a vet for a clean bill of health. You don't want him infecting your other cat with anything. Make sure you keep with the same litter and food he is use too. If you want to make a change, then slowly mix the new with the old. Have food and water available to him 24/7 and remember to remind him where the litterbox is every few hrs.
PS Love the name!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:28 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
I adopted mine at 8 weeks (granted, I adopted his mom too......)
I would just check with your vet to see what you should do.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Many breeders keep their cats for up to 16 weeks. But 7-8 weeks, is no problem. Otto should have no problems....just take it slow. Keep him in a safe room when you are not around, and then slowly "open up his world" to him. He will begin to venture further and further out into the house as he feels comfortable.
I would take him to a vet for a clean bill of health. You don't want him infecting your other cat with anything. Make sure you keep with the same litter and food he is use too. If you want to make a change, then slowly mix the new with the old. Have food and water available to him 24/7 and remember to remind him where the litterbox is every few hrs.
PS Love the name!
your are hired and great!!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM

thanks all !!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:21 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
your are hired and great!!!!
LOL...Just wait til you get my bill

Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,235 times
I wouldn't worry-- we have 2 cats we rescued at 7-8 weeks. They are both grown now and sweethearts : )

Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM

605 posts, read 2,990,160 times
It is *ideal* for a cat to stay with its mother until 12 weeks, but not always possible. They learn a lot about behavior from mom & siblings in those extra weeks. If you have another cat that can teach the kitten acceptable boundaries and how to act, then earlier is OK (but if at all possible, longer with mom cat is better). 6 weeks is too young, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats