Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times

Advertisements

Many yrs ago had two cats...first a female from 1st litter...and male from 2nd litter. What I did was to rub their nose in the mess and spank them the same time. Took a couple of spankings but they both learned what the other got snd never fogot. Of course this was done in the early yrs and they both lived for 10 yrs. Female disappeared one day and the male was cat napped for 6 months (lady in trailer park)...returned back and later died from poisoning. Sure miss bogie and kato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 PM

698 posts, read 2,840,615 times
Oh my yes, it's my brilliant quote and please share and share ... hee hee
Now our vet has called and said she isn't sure our dear cat has kidney disease so I'm left wondering what, if not that, could be wrong!
After washing so many towels I'm going to be looking for those piddle pads soon.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times
I am extremely frustrated...the quick answer is to put her down, but for 13yrs we never had the problem. She used to use our shower mat to pee on over the last couple of months...well we started hanging it up after showers and then it started in one spot in the living area. She uses her litter box daily; she has diabetes and renal failure. We give her insulin in which she does fine. I will not get rid of her but i need some humane examples of tricks people use to get her to stop or my husband wants to shoot her. I just want ways to make her stop for the time she has left.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM

786 posts, read 1,592,846 times
Sorry to hear you're getting new carpet and she has already urinated on the plywood below, which she'll be able to smell through the new padding/carpet. I would have agreed with the other poster, rip out the carpet and put down laminate, pre-finished hard wood floors or tile. We have no carpet in our home now except for throw and area rugs and it has made a huge difference in many ways and so worth the money but we did it in several stages because it is expensive. Our home is so much cleaner and better smelling, no more allergies, and very easy to vacuum up the hair, clean up messes of all kinds and is a great environment for people/pets.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I truly believe that if a cat is peeing outside the litter box, SOMETHING is wrong.

Just recently one of my two cats passed away from cancer.

In the last couple of years, she has had plenty of times where she peed in the bathtub or the sink. We took her to the vet many times but they couldn't determine anything wrong with her.

In the past, I had 2 cats that both passed away from old age. Neither EVER used the bathroom anywhere but in their own litter box. And we only had 1 litter box.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Rub their nose in it....scold them and then spank them in their rear......worked real well with my cats.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Rub their nose in it....scold them and then spank them in their rear......worked real well with my cats.

Hitting cats and dogs is ABUSE and cruelty. Rubbing their nose in it can cause a serious sinus infection. Are you ready to explain to the vet you physically abused the cat and then spend several hundred dollars to treat it? I think not. You're the type to dump it at a shelter and never admit YOU caused the problem.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 PM

Spanking is a couple of light taps on their rear as cats and dogs do NOT like being touched in their rear end thus the memory stays on.

Ever watch where a cat or dog licks themselves?.......germs would have killed them long ago.

For yrs had cats with NO problems.

Today have two large dogs....father and son, 13 and 7 and they are a handfull for me

I'm 81 so have been around the barn a few times.......learn a lot over the yrs.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
My cat Candy goes on our carpet sometimes and we put foil down where she has been going and she stops . Cats hate to walk on foil and this has worked for us.
Aluminum foil may or may not work - my cat not only walked all over the foil I put down, but she also urinated on it! I've taken to confining her to the bathroom when I'm not there, but it's not a perfect solution as now I have to clean the bathroom daily (she tends to urinate on the vanity and/or floor)... AND she's likely to urinate on the carpet once I let her out.

She's 15 years old with kidney failure, but is still spry and more affectionate than ever. I know her days are numbered, and I'm dreading the inevitable, but I can't have her constantly soiling the carpet - I'm near wits end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats