U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 7,170,240 times

Advertisements

I am so upset right now...I just found out that Wellness Cat food was on the most recent recall list, and it's what I've been feeding my cats for years. My Humphrey died recently of liver failure, and though my other kitty is fine, I wonder if it contributed to his decline or even caused it...(if he had another problem I didn't know about and his immune system was weak???) I don't trust any of these companies anymore...they just keep poisoning our animals with toxins and by-products every time I turn around! Does anyone here make their own cat &/or dog food? I think for now it's the only way to be absolutely sure they will be healthy and safe...I'm a vegetarian myself and hate the idea of dealing with meat, but I'll do whatever I have to do to keep my little carnivores by my side!!! Please help!!!
Rate this post positively

Old 09-25-2008, 06:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 40,390,326 times
Do you have a link to it? I can't find anything on it except for the 2007 recall. My son feeds his Bengals Wellness.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 PM

13,163 posts, read 824,318 times
I occasionally get a few cans of Wellness, and tried the kibble for my kitties but they didn't like it. However, if there is a recall, I'm glad you brought it to our attention. Does it affect the canned food or the dry, or both?

Thank you for your post.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 PM

I couldn't find one either, but my vet.clinic told me when I went by today...they also said they got 2 more cats in this week, both very sick with liver failure...both were eating Wellness. Apparently, there is a different list for vet practitioners than for the public...mom and I (she also has been giving her cat Ollie Wellness for years and recently he started vomiting much more than usual...) are going crazy trying to find out what's going on. I will post a link & whatever info. I can find as soon as I can find it...!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 PM

There is nothing about it on their website. I wonder if she wasn't talking about last year

Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 PM

6,500 posts, read 11,154,825 times
You should consider raw feeding your cat. No commercial food, real meat, uncooked. Do some research to get your cat started. The cat will love it more than the commercial stuff, and you have control of what goes into your cat, as you'll want to feed raw food with no additives, preservatives, any kind of enhancements (seasonings, antibiotics, etc.) You will enhance the overall health of your cat, too.

Start here: ~ WELCOME TO RAW FED CATS ~

Here's a new blog of someone feeding their 2 cats and 1 dog raw: The Raw Truth

Google search cats + raw feeding.

I've just begun feeding raw to my dog, so I don't have a lot of info for cats, but the premise is the same.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 PM

5,143 posts, read 17,266,798 times
I can't find anything either.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:44 PM

It's funny how the only info. I can find is for 2007...what I know so far is that Wellness is manufactured by Menu foods, and there was cross-contamination with melanine. I'm going to err on the side of safety regardless...I doubt they would just make something like this up, and it was more than one person behind the desk who confirmed the information. I'm going to check with a fiend of mine who's a vet. tech. as soon as she calls me back and see if she's heard anything about this...!

Thanks for the raw food tip...I'm doing research, and people are quite divided on the matter! Anyone else doing the raw thing?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 PM

The raw food diet is really controversial. My daughter feeds raw to her cats...but it is not as easy ( or cheap) as it sounds. The right additives must be added (Taurine for one) or you could be putting your animal in jeporady. And that doesn't take into consideration of the safety of the meat. Also...cats and dogs both need different nutrients to maintain a healthy existence. Do lots of homework!
And please, keep us posted if you should find out anything on the recall. I've posted something about it on another cat forum and no one has heard anything there either.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM

6,500 posts, read 11,154,825 times
There's a group on Yahoo called "rawfeeding." Join it, just to read about other people's experiences and issues they've had to work with. The majority there have dogs, but cats are also discussed. It's a VERY active group with a over 12,000 members. Archives go back to 2003.

I wish I could give you a testimonial of my experience, but I haven't been doing it a long time... just about 1 week now, after 2 months of research. But I have already noticed an improvement in my dog. My dog has some kind of allergy (allergies?) and her skin is very dry, flaky, dry coat, and a horrible odor to her. After one week, the odor is nearly gone. I no longer smell her from across the room. Yes, she smelled that bad. I'm hoping to see an improvement with her skin/coat within a couple of months, if not sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.