U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:35 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,229,533 times

Advertisements

A couple of days ago, I was in my backyard looking for something in the shed. I thought that heard a kitten crying underneath the shed. I just ignored it, thinking that the mother had given birth down there.

The next day (yesterday), I was back in the shed and heard it again. This time, I tried to find the kitten. When doing so, I realized that there were some flies around and a faint smell of a decomposing animal. I tried to find the kitten by looking under the 10" clearance with a flashlight. I couldn't see the kitten, but I could hear where it was. My only options were to cut out the wood floor of the shed, or remove some pavers from the front and try to dig my way to the kitten. I opted with option 2 and was able to retrieve the kitten.

It's a Calico kitten. It was lying on top of a dead kitten. There weren't any others. I believe that it's less than 5 days old, because it's eyes are closed and it still has the umbilcal cord attached. It was pretty dirty and smelled horrible. I was able to wipe it down with warm wipes. I have it in a large box with a heating pad underneath some towels.

I went to a pet shop, and bought some kitten formula. My wife took her to the vet and they gave it some dewormer. (Just in case) I've never really been a cat person, and I'm sometimes overwhelmed by our 4 birds, 2 fish, and a dog. I learned that after feeding it every 2-3 hours, we have to wipe it's genitals to stimulate it to urinate. What a pain in the butt. Any advice wil be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 02:46 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,345,415 times
Go to petfinder.com and post in their community. They know everything about animals and often foster special cases, so they might be able to answer any questions you have with some hard to find info.

And if the kitten lives - you will probably have a lifelong special relationship with it, regardless of your standard animal preferences.

Good Luck.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks. Rep points sent your way.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:24 PM

24,669 posts, read 66,287,078 times
I agree with b75 wholeheartedly. Please do keep this special kitten as this very special bonding will result in a lifelong commitment in both directions, the likes of which you could never imagine - really. Cheers from someone who's been there and done that several times!

Old 09-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the advice. Rep points also going your way. My wife and kids already named her, and can't seem to put her down.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:39 PM

12,054 posts, read 22,164,440 times
Thanks for planning to keep the kitten. Your children will learn valuable lessons and they seem to have terrific parents.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:57 PM

2,806 posts, read 7,200,968 times
Thank God you got her outta there! Cats are amazing...you may become a cat person once you've co-habitated longer, (I was a diehard dog person until my parents got us a cat when I was 16, and now I could never be without them!!! My little dogs feel the same...!) Good luck, and thanks for being a great animal friend, there should be more like you!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Thanks for planning to keep the kitten. Your children will learn valuable lessons and they seem to have terrific parents.

Thanks for your kind words. It's been interesting so far. Rep points away!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Thank God you got her outta there! Cats are amazing...you may become a cat person once you've co-habitated longer, (I was a diehard dog person until my parents got us a cat when I was 16, and now I could never be without them!!! My little dogs feel the same...!) Good luck, and thanks for being a great animal friend, there should be more like you!
I think that she would have died if I had waited one more day. She loves the heating pad. Sometimes it's hard to feed her. It almost seems that I'm forcing her to drink. I get a couple of drops in and wait a few minutes. I feel the myself losing more hair over this. Thanks for your comments. Here's 3 points for you.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:25 PM

4,172 posts, read 10,737,541 times
This little calico baby is totally dependent on you for life. It takes someone special to take on the responsibility of nuturing a totally helpless newborn - and you seem to have accepted this difficult task. Your new kitten will now come to know you as "mom". I truly hope things go well for you and the little one. You will delight in each new development - opening it's eyes, eating solid food for the first time, walking on wobbly legs. Not unilke a having a newborn child!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats