Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2008, 09:41 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,987,922 times

Advertisements

My 3 cats are declawed and all are happy content kitties. None of them have any mental issues or problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,566,823 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Also, tests have proven, cats that have been de-clawed tend to have litterbox issues.
This is soooo true!!! I swear I think after declawing, cats develop a hatred for their owners and do everything in their power to make your life miserable. I will NEVER declaw a cat again!!! Not only was it horribly painful for the cat, but her personality did a 180 and she would use the bathroom everywhere other than the litter box. It is incredibly inhumane. Don't do it!!!

The "soft paws" are a great alternative.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:55 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,355,485 times
We've had many cats, most of them declawed. The way it was done a long time ago was pretty much like cutting off not just your fingernail, but the top knuckle of your finger. However, now they can do it with a laser. The recovery time is much less and the pain level is not at all as bad as it was.

Is it cruel? Considering many cats are dumped in shelters because they tear up the furniture and climb the curtains and then wind up being euthanized because there are way too many cats in this country due to over population from irresponsible owners not spaying and neutering, I think declawing is ultimately the lesser of two evils. And compare it to dog owners that have their dogs tails docked or ears cropped. The docking isn't even done with pain meds, or at least it wasn't when my parents had the dobies they bred done. It made me sick and I had to leave the office.

However, when we've had ours done we do it at the same time as their spay / neuter so they don't have to go through multiple surgeries. And I've seen the surgeries with lasers on cats. It wasn't that bad. I certainly think there are much worse things.

Just my opinion of course.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 PM

947 posts, read 3,398,609 times
[quote=DayoftheLord;6717362]
Quote:

This is soooo true!!! I swear I think after declawing, cats develop a hatred for their owners and do everything in their power to make your life miserable. I will NEVER declaw a cat again!!! Not only was it horribly painful for the cat, but her personality did a 180 and she would use the bathroom everywhere other than the litter box. It is incredibly inhumane. Don't do it!!!

The "soft paws" are a great alternative.

Way to go! I will never ever do it either! If for some reason, (which would never happen, but just for the sake of discussion) I ever felt the need to declaw a kitty I would find another better home then myself and one that would not do such a procedure. Laser or not, never ever ever!!! Cats come with claws, we amputate for "our" reasons poor kitty.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:27 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
I consider it cruel. The cats that I have known and loved in my day are very, very, very proud of their claws. They like to show them off (at every opportunity) and they are definitely an integral part of their very existence. The cats I have known (other people's thank you), who are declawed seem to be psychology scarred by it. If you touch their paws they are all "don't do that" and don't seem as happy to me.

In addition, I read somewhere that the muscles that attach to the claws are very important and that if you declaw a cat they can actually suffer respiratory problems because those muscles atrophy and they are somehow involved in the breathing process. I'm sure if there are any vets out there, they will either confirm or dispell this.

I wouldn't do it in a million years!

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,425,004 times
Declawing is illegal in the European Union as it's considered cruel and totally unnecessary. That should tell you something! I don't care what the arguments are for it. If you have furniture that will suffer from a cat's attentions, then don't get a cat! I trained both my cats not to claw furniture by a) squirting them with a water pistol and b) distracting them with a cat climber from petsmart that's covered with carpet and has a scratching post included.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,452,555 times
Two out of three of our cats have been declawed. They were in pain for a day or two, then everything went back to normal. I don't see the big deal, they don't need the claws for anything as they are indoor cats. I've had plenty of painful surgeries that were painful for weeks or more. Two days of pain ain't too bad.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:27 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,425,004 times
The point being your pain was your choice; your cats didn't have any choice in the matter.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:14 PM

283 posts, read 888,368 times
It is a big deal when you amputate their bones.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:10 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,331,492 times
My cats were declawed when we inherited them upon my bro in law's passing. I do not know if I have an opinion on declawing or not, but I will say that Snowflake is 18 yrs old and it has not affected her adversely in any way. All three of them can, and will use, their toes like they are supposed to. In fact, they can probably grip harder than a cat with claws.

Some say declawing is cruel, some say its not. Who are we to judge who is right or wrong. The main thing is we all CARE about our cats. There is no need to belittle anyone for what they believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats