Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 AM

283 posts, read 892,697 times

Advertisements

My friend had a dog that was found after 4 years in Texas (we're in California). All because of the microchip. It was on the local news when she went to the airport to pick up her dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 06:49 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
A feel good story this morning! Micro-chipping works!

Lost family dog makes it home in time for Christmas | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou081224_mp_lost-dog-returns-home.29bce0d.html - broken link)

Old 12-25-2008, 11:59 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,800 times
All my cats are chipped. I am a little miffed at the new 'yearly' charge though. My previous cats were chipped for a one time fee ($20), but for my newest cat they want my credit card number and want to charge $14.95 a year (in addition to what I paid the shelter to implant the chip). I am looking for an alternative way to register him, even if it means re-chipping him through a different company.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:52 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Yea, the whole charging you a yearly fee is ridiculous. Our vet says there are ways around that, and I will find out on Monday what that is. I refuse to pay a yearly fee for something that should be a one time charge.

And we've made the decision to have our puppy microchipped, so dogs are not the issue. Seems like most of the stories above are regarding dogs, and I just wanted to know if people did cats as well.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:36 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Yea, the whole charging you a yearly fee is ridiculous. Our vet says there are ways around that, and I will find out on Monday what that is. I refuse to pay a yearly fee for something that should be a one time charge.

And we've made the decision to have our puppy microchipped, so dogs are not the issue. Seems like most of the stories above are regarding dogs, and I just wanted to know if people did cats as well.
At least with Avid, it is a one time fee...$25 for the chip, $25 to register. It may have come down in the last few yrs. Like I said...all 5 of mine are chipped. What's the difference cat or dog? Lost is lost...anything to help reunite animal with rightful owner is got to be a good thing

Old 12-25-2008, 09:13 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
The only reason I am concerned about the cat is because she is a Sphynx and weighs 1 lb. She is completely hairless and we are worried that it will hurt her. The dog is well over 20 lbs at this point, so it's not so much a worry. I just don't want the poor kitten to be in any kind of pain.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:28 PM

709 posts, read 1,498,332 times
Random thought: imagine your pet gets lost and you can't find it, whereas if it was chipped you probably would have. The next day it wonders onto a highway and causes some grandma to instinctively swerve out of her lane to avoid hitting it, triggering a 50-car pile-up. Do you share any responsibility?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:29 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,513 times
Quote:
Has anyone microchipped their cat? We're going next week to do our dog and are thinking of bringing the cat along. Both cat and dog are 4 months old. I'm afraid that it will hurt the kitty. I only know people that had their dogs done and am curious how a cat responds to it and if it's even worth it. She never goes outside, but things happen (maintenace guy leaving the door open, etc.). Any thoughts?

Microchipping your pet is morally wrong! Do you want someone mircochipping you?

Old 12-25-2008, 11:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,711 times
I wold never chip my cats and they always come home. In fact I got lucky since mine don't leave the yard. The chips can cause cancer and if we allow our pets to get it, guess whos next? Every living creature will have to be chipped....freekin scary stuff! Talk about big brother!

Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,826 times
Quote:
Has anyone microchipped their cat? We're going next week to do our dog and are thinking of bringing the cat along. Both cat and dog are 4 months old. I'm afraid that it will hurt the kitty. I only know people that had their dogs done and am curious how a cat responds to it and if it's even worth it. She never goes outside, but things happen (maintenace guy leaving the door open, etc.). Any thoughts?
no, it won't hurt the cat. Our oldest, the first one we adopted was microchipped. Sometime i am thinking of having our other cats microchipped, just in case they slip out the door when we don't know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats