U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 AM

407 posts, read 1,505,946 times

Advertisements

If you are planning any international travel, especially in Europe, you don't have a choice about micro-chipping your pet. I lived in Egypt for 4 years, and while there the EU came up with cool new rules about needing to get pets micro-chipped to travel there. Since I could not get a definitive answer on whether transiting pets would also have to be chipped, I erred on the side of caution and had it done for all 3 of my cats - 8 lbs, 12 lbs, and 18.5 lbs (yes, he was big-boned... really). All three of them did very well - as one person said, I squirmed a lot more than my cats did! (I still have not gotten a definitive answer on the transit question).

Be aware that for the US and the rest of the world there seem to be competing specs, of course. Heaven forbid the US actually go along with the rest of the world with anything. Then, of course, the EU changed their specs on the system, so when I left the States 2 years later, I had to have my two cats micro-chipped AGAIN - to conform with the new specs. (FYI, Home Again is the chip which now will conform to both the EU and American specs...)

Happily, both again made it through the vet trauma much better than I. My cats are all indoor cats, but I have to say that if I were not a traveling person, I would never even have contemplated getting them chipped. That said, I do feel a bit of relief knowing that if they somehow got lost, there would at least be a slight chance of them ending up back with "Mom". Some extra hugs when we got home from the vet, and they seem to have forgiven me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:23 PM

4,307 posts, read 12,909,412 times
One thing to consider: if you ever wanted to move overseas, say Europe, and take your animals with you, you have to have them microchipped. Just an FYI. I had both my cats chipped when they were first adopted and it was done during their neuter/spaying surgery so they didn't feel a thing. I can't get either of them to accept a collar so if they ever got lost there'd be no other way to identify them.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:31 PM

605 posts, read 2,875,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Microchipping your pet is morally wrong! Do you want someone mircochipping you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I wold never chip my cats and they always come home. In fact I got lucky since mine don't leave the yard. The chips can cause cancer and if we allow our pets to get it, guess whos next? Every living creature will have to be chipped....freekin scary stuff! Talk about big brother!
Wow. It seems a few people think microchip = tracking device. Not even close!

Like ShelbyGirl points out, a microchip is is an ID device NOT a tracking device, and it is helpful because cats & dogs can't rattle off their name, address and phone number when thy get lost. If my pets could talk, I probably would skip it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats