Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
What in the ...???? Beautiful cat, but everything is not a 'pet'. Its just a matter of time before the lady of the house starts to look like a chicken or "Fluffy" the cat mysteriously disappears. Got a few guys in Vegas with white tigers that couple might want to talk to. Oh wait, one of those guys might not be able to talk because he has 80 stitches to the head!! Fluffy the cat is looking like, "What's that number to Wildlife, Fish & Game again? 432, no, 433, no...".
Still a beautiful animal though.
My thoughts exactly--especially your first and last sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Well it takes all kinds.
That's an understatement! Clearly, this is a wild cat & not bred for captivity. Its "owners" will express shock and awe when the cat attacks them; they probably already do look like chickens to the cat (justhere~). Then they will kill the animal or have it killed.

Yes, the animal is beautiful, but so is a panther.

They are complete fools. I don't find anything amazing about keeping a wild animal captive and documenting its kills. It's kind of like driving by a fatal car crash, and photographing the bodies and the bloody carnage. Just not my cup o' tea.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I don't find anything amazing about keeping a wild animal captive and documenting its kills.
I do.
But it's probably semantics: the word "amazing" does not necessarily have pleasant or admirable connotations.
From Merriam-Webster online dictionary:
Main Entry:
amazing
Function:
adjective

: causing amazement, great wonder, or surprise
<an amazing coincidence>

Lots of people keep wild animals captive; I think it's usually an unhappy mistake, but I realize that some have more knowledge and expertise than others.
All I really know about these people are the photographs I posted, which are indeed mind-blowing.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 PM

283 posts, read 759,730 times
Quote:
That's an understatement! Clearly, this is a wild cat & not bred for captivity. Its "owners" will express shock and awe when the cat attacks them; they probably already do look like chickens to the cat (justhere~). Then they will kill the animal or have it killed.

Yes, the animal is beautiful, but so is a panther.

They are complete fools. I don't find anything amazing about keeping a wild animal captive and documenting its kills. It's kind of like driving by a fatal car crash, and photographing the bodies and the bloody carnage. Just not my cup o' tea.
but there are so many people out there that keep exotic pets and this is just one of them. a while ago i was looking at all those people in the states that kept cougars as pets and the photos show them to be just as happy with their pets as if they were cats. i don't know much about keeping these large animals, but perhaps if you get them young they learn to be domesticated like cats and dogs? at some point in history even cats were wild animals.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrals View Post
at some point in history even cats were wild animals.
True, and of domesticated animals, felines seem to retain the most wildness.
I dunno, any animal can turn on you, even a Yorkshire terrier.
Obviously some are riskier than others--the tricky part is doing your research and taking that chance.
To me, the biggest tragedy is keeping a wild animal in captivity, but there are varying degrees of imprisonment.
The people at the elephant sanctuary in Tennessee are, IMHO wonderful, almost saintlike in what they are doing for those animals.
These fishing cat people--not so much.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:06 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
True, and of all the animals, felines seem to retain the most wildness.
Obviously some are riskier than others--the tricky part is doing your research and taking that chance.
To me, the biggest tragedy is keeping a wild animal in captivity, but there are varying degrees of imprisonment.
The people at the elephant sanctuary in Tennessee are, IMHO wonderful, almost saintlike in what they are doing for those animals.
These fishing cat people--not so much.
This I agree with completely! Thank you for the help, but I already know what the word amazing means ~ I was simply disagreeing with the idea of keeping the cat & encouraging it to indulge its natural side while confined in an apt (or whatever they have), and finding that a wild cat eating lunch is amazing! Nothing else was implied. We'll just have to agree to disagree!

Specifically going out of one's way to have a wild creature in your home has little to do with caring for the animal, and everything to do with one's ego. That's what reallly bothers me about it. Rescue wild animals from bad circuses, zoos, etc. , but to have one just for the sake of it? Shameful. But I digress!

Spyrals, I think that very few people are capable of handling an exotic or wild animal. I don't know, it just seems cruel to me.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:34 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
I doubt that a fishing cat is going to be a danger to people, since they are small, about the size of a large domestic cat. I have actually seen them in person, but at a zoo. One of the zookeepers walked one on a leash as part of a public presentation.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 PM

283 posts, read 759,730 times
Quote:
This I agree with completely! Thank you for the help, but I already know what the word amazing means ~ I was simply disagreeing with the idea of keeping the cat & encouraging it to indulge its natural side while confined in an apt (or whatever they have), and finding that a wild cat eating lunch is amazing! Nothing else was implied. We'll just have to agree to disagree!

Specifically going out of one's way to have a wild creature in your home has little to do with caring for the animal, and everything to do with one's ego. That's what reallly bothers me about it. Rescue wild animals from bad circuses, zoos, etc. , but to have one just for the sake of it? Shameful. But I digress!

Spyrals, I think that very few people are capable of handling an exotic or wild animal. I don't know, it just seems cruel to me.
i agree, exotic pets are a full time job and only people who know what they're doing should keep one. this reminds me of the argument about keeping cats inside vs letting them roam. same premise about wildness of the animal and what's natural, but cats actually do adapt and learn quite well to be indoor animals only. im not condoning keeping large wild cats in an apartment though! it's definitely an ego trip for those two, and knowing Russian mentality i'm not really surprised

Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,161 times
Quote:
Did you have to go there? But seriously, I have personally seen this, terriers go all kinds of ballistic even though they are little in size. But I agree with you, this cat however, shouldn't be kept in the house like a common housecat with those two folks who look like they are doing a street routine in Siberia and this is the new monkey for the act. When it appears to be like that, I tend to suspiciously wince because respect for the animal and its wildness should come first. As much as I love animals, and I do, there is no way, I'd be sleeping with an animal with that 'degree' of wildness lose in the house, or fishing in the tub, or tasting the side of my head... Like you said, even terriers can snap. But because I know the tazmanian nature of a terrier gone bad, I know what to expect and I also know my boundaries. With my lack of experience in caring for wildlife, I wouldn't chance it with this cat and I suspect a few fangs to my jugular from this cat might be my only and first alert something has gone awry.

Jogging down several levels on the wild chain, I had two cats. I got the Tabby first, came home one day, bluebird feathers all over the house, but no bluebird (I watched the catbox vigilantly for evidence... never saw any). My other cat, Seal Point Siamese used to have hummingbirds come up as close as I've ever seen to a cat, even up to her face without her doing the cat chatter, or even moving towards the hummingbirds. She seemed to enjoy looking at them and they at her. I would have thought it in reverse just by watching my two cats. But this fishing cat, while it might have its domesticated moments, I think between the fishing cat, and the 2 people attempting to care for it, the 2 people are more of an actual concern than the cat?

Last edited by justhere; 01-05-2009 at 11:40 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
But this fishing cat, while it might have its domesticated moments, I think between the fishing cat, and the 2 people attempting to care for it, the 2 people are more of an actual concern than the cat?
hah
Yes indeed, could well be.

The nature/nurture thing can be tricky, that's for sure. It's not always easy to know or predict when instinct will take over.
Cute story about the Siamese and the hummingbirds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats