Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,713,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltons_Mommy View Post
Anyone who doesn't do a total dump, scrub the box with soap and water, and add brand new litter weekly is just plain lazy or cruel. How would YOU like it if your bathroom and toilet was only cleaned once a year? Get off your donkey behinds and do right for your cat.

And a good cat litter doesn't have to be expensive. The Petco refillable is only about 40¢ a pound [$6 a week]. The Walmart brand Special Kitty is even cheaper : $ 4 or a 14 lb jug that lasts a week. If you can't afford $4 a week, you don't deserve a cat.

And each cat NEEDS its own box. None of this "sharing the box business".

You all are the most irresponsible cat owners I've ever come across.
No need for you to name-call folks on this thread.

There is a big difference between Special Kitty clay kitty litter & a clumping litter like Tidy Cat. This thread is about clumping kitty litter not regular clay litter.

One can put out 5 kitty litter trays for one's 5 cats; however, those cats are going to use whatever litter tray they choose LOL. Do you think they should put the cats' names on each tray so the cat will only use its own!!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,188,035 times
Yes, scoopable clumping litter is meant to be scooped and refilled when needed. The Miltons Mommy person must be using clay litter, which probably should be dumped weekly. I quit using that type of litter over 20 years ago. Always use scoopable since then. And also do a total clean out every 3-4 months, scrubbing down the litter boxes and replacing when needed. I use the high sided one's because of one of my kitties, she likes to stand in the box, lift her tail and spray the backside of the litter box. With the basic low ones, she would spray all over the wall! We have 2 cats and 2 litter boxes.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 PM

16 posts, read 39,148 times
Special Kitty IS A clumping, scoopable litter. Dust free, fragrance free, clumping litter. Made by Oil Dri, which also makes Johnny Cat and Cat's Pride. Probably more private label brands too.

Cats are territorial by nature and one doesn't need to put their names on it - they work whose box belongs to whom amongst themselves. Just like mama's n!pples when they are babies. And I was being generous on calling you all lazy and irresponsible - because any vet or cat behaviorist's (Jackson Galaxy comes to mind) head would explode at the thought of a yearly cleaning. And two "big" boxes for five cats? Ridiculous!!!

And the number of boxes needed rule is one per cat plus one extra box.

I have one cat and he has two "big" boxes. Which I scoop twice daily and clean weekly. One box is Precious Cat. The other box is Special Kitty. Milton gives them equal attention and frankly, they both are superb at clumping and odor.

I love my cat and take my duties of pet ownership seriously. Some of you all talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Well it's about time you did!!!

Last edited by Miltons_Mommy; 12-21-2012 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-22-2012, 02:29 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,459,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
One can put out 5 kitty litter trays for one's 5 cats; however, those cats are going to use whatever litter tray they choose LOL. Do you think they should put the cats' names on each tray so the cat will only use its own!!??
We have girl kitty potties and boy kitty potties.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I have used clumping litter for years.

(brevity snip)

What do other clumping litter users do?
Another old resurrected thread. I'll reply anyway.

We have three large tote type litter boxes and four cats. I added a new litter-tote when we got the new kitten last month, but they all use the same two totes. Go figure! The rule is one litterbox per cat and a spare. But my crew mainly use the same two totes.

I never dump out clumping litter. I rotate the boxes for washing. I'll add the older litter to one of the totes getting low, scrub the now emptied tote real well, dry and refill it with fresh clean new litter. No litter goes to waste here. We found a clumping litter that is low in dust and the clumps hold together really well. It's FreshStep Multi-Cat unscented.

It doesn't seem to matter how many litterboxes or totes put out, the cats will use their favorites every time. Another thing to consider is space. Some people simply don't have the space for one per cat plus a spare.

Last edited by =^..^=; 12-22-2012 at 05:35 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 11:10 AM

It's not just avoiding litter box odors, folks. It is also about your cat's health and your family's health. You want your poor cat to get a UTI? You want the litter box to be infested with germs? An incubator of toxicity? Germs that you cannot see but will spread throughout your house?

Cats are fastideous by nature. Cat owners . . . not so much . . .

Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,770,679 times
Quote:

Some of you all talk the talk but don't walk the walk.
Well it's about time you did!!!
Or as Igor says in "Young Frankenstein":
"Walk this way."

Old 12-22-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It's not just avoiding litter box odors, folks. It is also about your cat's health and your family's health. You want your poor cat to get a UTI?
When the clumps are removed, any germs go out with them. Non-clumping litter is another story.

Quote:
You want the litter box to be infested with germs? An incubator of toxicity? Germs that you cannot see but will spread throughout your house?
Geeze, you sound like one of those people paranoid about germs. The type who washes their hands 100 times a day. Indoor-only cats will not be dragging in anything people can catch, so stop worrying.

Quote:
Cats are fastideous by nature. Cat owners . . . not so much . . .
You're entitled to your opinion.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Or as Igor says in "Young Frankenstein":
"Walk this way."
That was funny.... they all walked as he did.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 PM

Your cat called me.

He said he's running away from home and moving in with me unless you start cleaning the litter box weekly.

Dumping the clumps just ain't cutting it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats